Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic/illusions board..

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

well, if we can work towards a subforum, then that would be great and i think accpetable to everyone.

Im sorry if i didnt make my points too well, sometimes i have trouble getting across what i mean!!

*offers virtual handshake to 6th and r3nu4l*

so, put it behind us, hold no grudges and work towards a great forum? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Admittedly I was reacting to the legal mentionings and the suggestion the the whole forum be made private.

Its gonna be a great forum when we get it ironed out.

I think we can pretty much leave this thread alone and deal with it on the forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

zuroph wrote: »
    well, if we can work towards a subforum, then that would be great and i think accpetable to everyone.

Im sorry if i didnt make my points too well, sometimes i have trouble getting across what i mean!!

in fairness to the two lads, holding grudges is not something either of them do.

WWM, now, is another story :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I agree regarding making a poll for the decision on whether the forum should be private or not, and adhering to the decision by the forum users.

I think there's really no need for a private subforum, I mean as it stands there's still little traffic to the forum as a whole. Go by the outcome of the first poll anyway, if people vote yes, then leave it stand as yes (either yes obviously), if no then stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Sounds good :)
    6th wrote: »
    I think we can pretty much leave this thread alone and deal with it on the forum?
    Yup.
    tbh wrote: »
    in fairness to the two lads, holding grudges is not something either of them do.

WWM, now, is another story :p
    I held a grudge once but then my arms got tired and I had to put it down. :(

OR

I held a grudge once but it hadn't been toilet trained :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I think it should be gotten rid of tbh, sure it's only here a week and look at the trouble it's causing, God only knows what'll happen down the line

:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

hopefully the forum isnt made private. Its not a forum targeted at professionals nor is it run by professional magicians. I dont think anyone is out to or going to profiteer from someone on boards.ie posting a you tube link to how david copperfield made the statue of liberty diappear! ;)

Looks like things might be sorted now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

rb_ie wrote: »
    I think it should be gotten rid of tbh, sure it's only here a week and look at the trouble it's causing, God only knows what'll happen down the line

:p

And that would mean that 6th's mod status would be revoked and the world will once more spin in the right direction. Things have been awfully odd since last week. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ah Ronny, you've stumbled upon rb_ie's plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

my suggestion would be that a person would need at least ten-20 posts in the forum, and have demonstrated some knowledge or interest to learn. after enthusiasm like that, we cant stop people. the important part of a private subforum is that it doesnt show up on google searches, and that the reveal or method discussion isnt there for hecklers to read etc.

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ok, so i skipped all the lovely dovey hand shaking ccok holding rubbish above, and wanted t to know what is happening?

id rather the forum not be made private.
    what i would rather see though is a sub forum made which is private. the main I&M forum can be used for general discussion if you want and also for vetting anyone who wants access to 'the inner circle'.

oh, iun fact, why not just call it the inner circle.

youre all gay.

i never wanted to be a magician anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Hold on.

You're suggesting 6th get a second forum to mod?

Hacked account alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah, but if its private, no one will know or care.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

For what it's worth I'm one of the people who has posted methods on the forum. And I fully intend posting many many more as long as the rules allow it. And tbh if the rules change to disallow it, I can't see myself using the board at all, maybe other people have other interests around magic they'd like to discuss, but for me discussing how tricks are done is the whole point. Apart from the occasional video of just a trick being done just for appreciations sake.

I feel there is one hugely important fact which has been left out of the discussion so far. Many, and in fact I suspect the vast majority, of methods and tricks out there are not in anyway secret. They do not belong to anyone in any way shape or form. They have been around for hundreds, and in some cases possibly thousands of years and have been used by pretty much every magician going at one stage or another. They are used in every 2 bit magic book and children's box set, they are passed from friend to friend, they are easily accessible to anyone with the slightest inclination to look for them, and easily stumbled upon by those who don't. They are not in any way novel or unique to any magician.

I do accept that there are magicians who do create novel methods, or cleverly combine existing methods to create a new and novel effect, and I agree that these should not be revealed, at least until it's clear that they have already become common public knowledge. But on the other hand there are countless card tricks, coin tricks, bar tricks, simple illusions etc which have existed forever and there's no point in trying to hide. There is no reason why enthusiasts and amateurs should not be able discuss these openly and freely.

I would also be opposed to making the forum private or to a private sub forum. The greatest strength of boards IMHO, and indeed of forums in general, is the ability for users to jump in an get a quick hit of information when it's needed or useful, and in turn those people may come back themselves and provide something useful for someone else. Making a forum private reduces it's ability to do this, people are going to be less likely to search something out, and wait around for access, unless they are already passionate about the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

ok, so i skipped all the lovely dovey hand shaking ccok holding rubbish above, and wanted t to know what is happening?

what i would rather see though is a sub forum made which is private. the main I&M forum can be used for general discussion if you want and also for vetting anyone who wants access to 'the inner circle'.
    Your wish is our command oh mighty one! A private sub-forum has been created :) and access will be vetted. Wanna hold my cock now? Please? No? :(
    PSI wrote: »
    Hold on.
    You're suggesting 6th get a second forum to mod?
    Yup, it happened! Not even a wet week as mod and now he has two fora!! I believe AH and soccer are next on his souper-seekrit target list :)
    stevenmu wrote: »
    For what it's worth I'm one of the people who has posted methods on the forum. And I fully intend posting many many more as long as the rules allow it. And tbh if the rules change to disallow it, I can't see myself using the board at all, maybe other people have other interests around magic they'd like to discuss, but for me discussing how tricks are done is the whole point. Apart from the occasional video of just a trick being done just for appreciations sake.
    Okay, this is a point I completely understand, however, access to the sub-forum will be granted to those who show a genuine interest in the main forum and in magic in general. It's not ideal, I understand that but the M&I forum had attracted a good audience even before the first reveals were posted and will continue to do so IMO. The sub-forum will not be exclusively for reveals however, there will be other discussion there too.
    I feel there is one hugely important fact which has been left out of the discussion so far. Many, and in fact I suspect the vast majority, of methods and tricks out there are not in anyway secret. They do not belong to anyone in any way shape or form. They have been around for hundreds, and in some cases possibly thousands of years and have been used by pretty much every magician going at one stage or another. They are used in every 2 bit magic book and children's box set, they are passed from friend to friend, they are easily accessible to anyone with the slightest inclination to look for them, and easily stumbled upon by those who don't. They are not in any way novel or unique to any magician.
    Agreed, I feel the same way and we will look into discussion of these on the main forum but please hold off for now.
    I do accept that there are magicians who do create novel methods, or cleverly combine existing methods to create a new and novel effect, and I agree that these should not be revealed, at least until it's clear that they have already become common public knowledge. But on the other hand there are countless card tricks, coin tricks, bar tricks, simple illusions etc which have existed forever and there's no point in trying to hide. There is no reason why enthusiasts and amateurs should not be able discuss these openly and freely.
    Agreed. As above, let's hold off on discussing them for now, I need to work out how we'll do this.
    I would also be opposed to making the forum private or to a private sub forum. The greatest strength of boards IMHO, and indeed of forums in general, is the ability for users to jump in an get a quick hit of information when it's needed or useful, and in turn those people may come back themselves and provide something useful for someone else. Making a forum private reduces it's ability to do this, people are going to be less likely to search something out, and wait around for access, unless they are already passionate about the subject.
    The creation of the M&I forum has brought a number of new sign-ups to boards.ie and I'm sure it will bring more. Some of these new sign-ups are practicing performers of M&I and these people will be using the M&I forum. The forum won't die because a part of it has become private. Give us some time to iron this out. Also, as 6th and myself are online quite a lot (not quite to RUU levels though) I'm sure that decisions on access to the M&I sub-forum will be made quickly enough.

Please don't ask for access just yet, we're trying to work out where to go with this and how to manage it.

Advertisement