Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 questions

• 29-03-2008 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Superjet701

We have 2 X 6120's PrePay on 3 for the last 2 months. Here are some observations.

1. Battery lasts only one day or less.

2. Skype only works an odd time and mostly shows your not online. Most of the time it says no network even though phone says 3.5g and full signal. You cannot skype out with this app. Very frustrating and not worth the constant rebooting of the phone to get it going again,

3. MSN messenger same as skype works only intermitenly, mostly not logged on. Again very frustrating.

4. 3 Network do not have agreements with many countries so you cannot send or receive texts to them. i.e. Thailand

5. Normal GSM calls are dropped very frequently. Can suffer from strange noises and interference.

6. Customer service is, if you can understand the person you get, totally useless with no apologies for lack of service.

7. We both have been into Carphone Warehouse numerous times since day one but they refuse to refund us and say its up to 3 who say its up to CPW. CPW staff confirm they are inundated with complaints about 3 and 3 support and also 6120 battery life.

I changed from Vodafone just to get Skype so I could talk cheaply with my girlfriend in Thailand. Now I can't even send her Text's.

Sorry if its not what you want to hear..............John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I'd concur with the previous post.

I've had a 6120 for about 2 months now and it's been a king size pain in the ass.

I've experienced battery life as low as 8 hours from fully charged and that's with making only 5 or 6 short calls.

Messenger is unusable for me as it constantly disconnects and you have to manually start the sign in process each time.

Skype is fine when it works! But it can sometimes take up to 15 minutes to sign in! I often have to reboot the phone and repeatedly attempt to sign in. There have been days when I have not been able to sign in at all!

As your phone would appear to have a "verifiable fault in store" you should have no problem in getting it replaced.

I switched to 3 mainly to take advantage of Skype and Messenger and have been bitterly disappointed.

Having said that the call and text charges are very good. But I have experienced call and texting problems. Sometimes it has taken numerous attempts to place a normal voice call and yesterday morning I received a text at 9.30am which had been sent from a Vodafone customer at 7am even though I had coverage the whole time. Wife was in Germany last month roaming on Voda and didn't get any of the texts I sent her, I was charged for them though.

It really depends how you use the service but if I were in your shoes I would try to change the phone to a Sony Ericsson model for better battery life.

If your set on using the Skype function then I'm told (but can't personally confirm) that the branded "Skype phone" is much better. (I'm not sure if I'm explaining this properly, but it's because the application is on the chip in the phone rather than running as a software application, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) Don't know what the battery life is like on the Skypephone though. Max Broadband connection speed on Skypephone is slower as it's not HSDP.

Other than that get your money back, you should be able to do so within 14 days of purchase by claiming you have no 3G coverage where you want to use the phone.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

3 do not have termination agreements with a lot of networks worldwide, hence the problems texting Thailand or voda in Germany etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,949 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

According to citizens advice bureau if the item does not do the job it was bought for then I am due a refund. Here is the wording:

* Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do

* Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

I have been flatly refused a refund after returning the phone to CPW three days after purchase and three weeks after purchase. Fobbing me off by telling me to call 3 and its nothing to do with them. I advised them when purcasing the phone that I primarly use my mobile to text my girldfriend in Thailand and was buying this new one because it would do the same and also have the addition of Skype which I could call her with.

I went down again yesterday explained my consumer rights and the ongoing problems. I asked for a refund or any solution so I can get my texting back. They acknowleged the problem with 3 network and ported me to a Vodafone PrePay Sim for Free. but again flatly refused to give me a refund or another phone. The new sim will not work in the phone i bought as it is locked to 3. So i'm using an old phone but at least I back texting. But I do have this new 3 phone which is no use to me and I am out of pocket 179 Euro. Ironically I could have bought this off the 3 website for 149 at the time but the sales person in CPW convinced me that buying locally was the best option for support/service. So I forked out more for this great service...LOL. (not really laughing).

Anyway I am off to the courthouse Monday to register a small claim and see how this goes. I told them this but they still flatly refuse to do anything.

I hope you have better luck with CPW / 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

According to citizens advice bureau if the item does not do the job it was bought for then I am due a refund. Here is the wording:

* Goods must be fit for their purpose – they must do what they are reasonably expected to do

* Goods must be as described - the buyer must not be mislead into buying something by the description of goods or services given orally by a salesperson or an advertisement.

I have been flatly refused a refund after returning the phone to CPW three days after purchase and three weeks after purchase. Fobbing me off by telling me to call 3 and its nothing to do with them. I advised them when purcasing the phone that I primarly use my mobile to text my girldfriend in Thailand and was buying this new one because it would do the same and also have the addition of Skype which I could call her with.

I went down again yesterday explained my consumer rights and the ongoing problems. I asked for a refund or any solution so I can get my texting back. They acknowleged the problem with 3 network and ported me to a Vodafone PrePay Sim for Free. but again flatly refused to give me a refund or another phone. The new sim will not work in the phone i bought as it is locked to 3. So i'm using an old phone but at least I back texting. But I do have this new 3 phone which is no use to me and I am out of pocket 179 Euro. Ironically I could have bought this off the 3 website for 149 at the time but the sales person in CPW convinced me that buying locally was the best option for support/service. So I forked out more for this great service...LOL. (not really laughing).

Anyway I am off to the courthouse Monday to register a small claim and see how this goes. I told them this but they still flatly refuse to do anything.

Good luck sorting that out,three's customer care are quiet awkward to deal with so if everything else is the same it wont be easy....:mad:

@Solitaryman666:I have the k610i after a few teething problems with msn it now works perfect i live in semi 3g coverage so it goes on and off,If i connect in 3g coverage and then it drops if i click hide before messenger signs out i can use it perfectly when i reconnect to gprs,it sounds like the 6120 is having errors with these programs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Even if you could use your 3 phone to text Thailand it would be 25c per text. I had been making lots of texts to the uk at that price and switched to Voipbuster and they are now 2c plus vat. No involvement from 3. I also use Nimbuzz for messenger and Google Talk.

Most problems with 3 can be overcome with a 3rd party although there's no getting over a broken microphone and speaker.

Think of someone getting a new pc and only using Microsoft software on it. You'd think they're mad. Same thing with your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

as a former carphone warehouse employee i can tell you you should have had no problem returning the phone after three days. 3 has a 14 day return policy on all phones. you can return them for any reason as long as they're in a resalable condition.

the phone is fit for the purpose for which it was designed but texting thailand is not one of those purposes. but you were told you could text thailand with it so you were misled into buying it, albeit accidentally.

call carphone customer care on 1800 424 800 and explain what you've said here. you've gone outside the 14 days now but that's the fault of a misinformed shop assistant, not yours.

was the phone in a resalable condition when you returned it?

The phone was and still is as new in the box with all accesories and recipt. I would of even been happy if they unlocked it so i could use it with another sim. Called customer care again today and they said they would call back today and mark this as urgent. Still no call back. I think i have given them every chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The phone was and still is as new in the box with all accesories and recipt. I would of even been happy if they unlocked it so i could use it with another sim. Called customer care again today and they said they would call back today and mark this as urgent. Still no call back. I think i have given them every chance.

carphone doesn't unlock phones and 3 won't do it unless you spend e130 in credit. When you say you rang customer care, which one? Carphone or 3?

your beef here is with carphone and 3 can't and won't help you

• Advertisement
Advertisement