Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer was on the way.....

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

That would be a fluke if it was one year but it went on most years from about 1977 to 1991.
    Then the term marginal was dragged up from the depths of the dictionary since.

Snow will be evident in the lengthy showers as temp plummets beneath them, snow lying is a no no unless we have a nowcast upon us that says otherwise.

As SST's are at their coldest and the tops of the troposphere is more favourable at this time of year, expect some explosive convection and medium sized hail with single cell thunderstorms to develop.It is what im anticipating more than snow itself to occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

I think convection is more likely than snow to be honest. And even if it does snow, it is nothing outside the ordinary for the early part of April. Surface warming, depending on wind strength, will be a crucial factor over the next few days for the build up of shower clouds away from coasts. That is why I was keeping a keen eye on the build of this northern block over the last couple of weeks, I want thunder, not snow.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im really not liking this, its too little too late, yeah this would have been awesome back in January/February but were now on the doorstep of summer. I want getting warm, mild sunny days/weekends now rather than wet, cold, hail and sleet. Please let this cold snap at the weekend be winters lasts dying breath and we can get on with the summer starting from next week/weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Think it may be fun in Scotland, can't see me getting any

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Just keep in mind that in May 1st approx 40-50 years ago 1 foot snow fell during the Punchestown races.

I was'nt around to witness it but i knew a man who always mentioned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't expect any accumulations out of this but i'll be happy just to see some snow falling on Sunday night. It's just a grave pity this situation didn't develop in early February or January.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Pretty low max temps on Monday with plenty of showers or longer spells of precipitation.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn7217.png

Looks a pretty potent cold spell for the time of year. Most will see snow - some will see lying snow. Further North and West the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

darkman2 wrote: »
    Pretty low max temps on Monday with plenty of showers or longer spells of precipitation.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn7217.png

Looks a pretty potent cold spell for the time of year. Most will see snow - some will see lying snow. Further North and West the better.

Do you think the lying snow will be confined to the high ground?

Do you think the lying snow will be confined to the high ground?

No I dont think so. Any snow that falls at night (Sunday night) is going to stick. (Temps ranging -1 to -5) Daytime will see minor deposits id say on low ground esspecially in heavy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Sunday looks interesting doesnt it DM :D:o:D

Convective thunder snow

• Advertisement

Sunday looks interesting doesnt it DM :D:o:D

Convective thunder snow

Certainly will be but I think this will come down to a nowcast. Monday shows pretty low temps ad some very heavy showers aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

darkman2 wrote: »
    No I dont think so. Any snow that falls at night (Sunday night) is going to stick. (Temps ranging -1 to -5) Daytime will see minor deposits id say on low ground esspecially in heavy showers.
    Sunday and Monday look quite exciting for seeing some snow falling and perhaps heavy snow at times.
    As regards lying snow there is no chance imo
    Mountains if your lucky with ground temps quite high after the recent warm up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

What a forecast!
    Very cold Sunday night with fresh to strong northerly winds bringing snow showers to many areas. The snow showers will be heaviest and most frequent in western and northern parts, with accumulations of several centimetres in places, and a risk of scattered thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

where'd ya see that one trogdor?

I'm like the Dublin forecast myself too but i didnt see that on..
    Windy. Heavy showers, turning increasingly to snow. Frost, icy patches. Scattered thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

where'd ya see that one trogdor?

I'm like the Dublin forecast myself too but i didnt see that on..

Thats the 3 day outlook on the homepage. I didnt look at the Dublin forecast though. Another great one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

WC has started a new thread on this matter. We shall continue the discussion [thread=2055269316]there[/thread].

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement