Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Waterford a Racist Town?

• 29-03-2008 5:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I have twenty answers, would like to hear what others think.....

IMO it is very racist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

MrLuke wrote: »
    I have twenty answers

i think like most places, there are certain areas and a certain type of people who are going to be that way. however i would say the majority of waterford people are not "racist" in the way i think you mean it.
    People are entitled to feel agrieved or upset if they percieve that people are being treated differently and getting priority solely because of nationality, in the case of housing, social welfare, etc... but that's not racism.
    As you have your 20 answers prepared, were you expecting 20 different questions/answers from people on the forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats a pretty poor opening post! Can you give us some examples?

Waterford is not better or worse than anywhere else, I'm not aware of any particular problems.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭cassette50

Change the heading

It should be "Is Waterford a racist CITY" ;)

No I don't believe that it is. I've never witnessed anything remotely racist on the mean streets of the city.

I've heard a few jokes alright, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of banter.

Oh noes town! Didn't spot that! :pac:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

cassette50 wrote: »
    No I don't believe that it is. I've never witnessed anything remotely racist on the mean streets of the city.

I have unfortunately. :( Was walking home from work one night when I came across some auld fella roaring at a young black guy. "Go back to Africa", etc. Funny thing is, he was a French student. Ended up having to tell your man to p*** off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Waterford is no more racist than any other place I have been to. You get ignorant twats everywhere.

Adyx wrote: »
    I have unfortunately. :( Was walking home from work one night when I came across some auld fella roaring at a young black guy. "Go back to Africa", etc. Funny thing is, he was a French student. Ended up having to tell your man to p*** off.

Thats the kind of incident I'd shugg off, not so much racist as a drunken asshole who was told where to go.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I dont think Waterford City is bad at all. Maybe certain estates in Waterford simply because there just scumbags living there with nothing better to do. However, Tramore is full of different nationalitys and its very rare to meet anybody passing any remark or saying anything about it compared to at the very start when people were dead set against it. I see Irish kids playing with people of different nationalitys and nobody seems to care. I see people of different nationalitys working here and beside the odd remark about them taking jobs thats about it.

So no, I do not think Waterford is a racist City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I think a lot of people are racist in waterford. When ever I am home all I hear is "they are getting this, taking that, doing this, there are too many....etc etc"

It seems all of a sudden that the sun shines out of our Irish ar$e$ as we are so perfect and all get along;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I have lived in cities outside of Ireland that are far more rascist than here.Waterford is by no means a rascist city.I can only remember hearing of only one rascist attack in Waterford and I personally don't even think it was a hate crime cause the guy that did it would fight anyone and has a bad reputation any way.I think Waterford has accepted people fairly well and people are getting used to different people around the city.Its never an easy transition when a country starts to recieve immigrants but compared to most parts of the West I think Irish people have done a good job and have been open minded.
    Of course there is always going to be rumblings and some idiots pushing the blame for things on foreigners, cause they are easy targets, but in general Ireland is very accepting.Probably because nearly every one has a family member that has lived abroad and many people that have done so themselves, people are more empathetic towards imigrants, cause we've been in similar situations away from home too.
    Although saying that there seems to be too many damn English around, with their strange foreign ways and weird accents.Go home, I say.....They takinnn' our jobs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

tonc76 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are racist in waterford. When ever I am home all I hear is "they are getting this, taking that, doing this, there are too many....etc etc"

It seems all of a sudden that the sun shines out of our Irish ar$e$ as we are so perfect and all get along;)

This type of BS comment incenses me.:mad: Along with the sweeping generalisation by the OP that Waterford is 'very racist'.:rolleyes:

Is criticism of positive discrimination in favour of a small minority some kind of crime?

Without going down the "racist" route again (and I've been involved in countless discussions about it) is it too much for people to allow even QUESTIONING the whole 'asylum' seeker/migrant issue? Are we not to even DARE to have a free and open debate without the ridiculous 'racism' card being played EVERY time?
    I, for one, often wonder how people - who allegedly arrived here penniless - can, within days/weeks be enjoying what can only be decribed as a lavish lifestyle?

That does not constitute racism. Full stop. I have no problem with people arriving here wanting to work, but, like some of our native hangers-on (and we all know one) I have a problem with those who are abusing the system.

I meet people of every nationality, creed, and colour in the course of my daily work. Everyone gets the same attention and manners - whatever your nationality, belief, or skin colour. As it should be. I treat others as I expect to be treated myself. With courtesy and respect. It's a pity that some of them arriving here do not embrace our culture the way we are encouraged to 'embrace' theirs.

I believe that there was an issue in a local factory recently where workers were asked not to address people with the word 'boy' - a greeting synonomous with Waterford City and County.

If it has come to that then the lunatic bleeding heart liberals have indeed taken over not just the asylum, but our way of life. A sad indictment of our 'backbone'.

It is also worth noting if the immigrant 'minority' (now 10% of the population) ever organise themselves they will hold the balance of power in this country. Because Civil War politics will prevent the big two from coalescing to prevent this happening. I wonder where the libers will be then? And what they will be shouting for?

And mods - can someone PLEASE change the word town to City in the title?

Freddie59 wrote: »
    This type of BS comment incenses me.:mad: Along with the sweeping generalisation by the OP that Waterford is 'very racist'.:rolleyes:

Is criticism of positive discrimination in favour of a small minority some kind of crime?

Without going down the "racist" route again (and I've been involved in countless discussions about it) is it too much for people to allow even QUESTIONING the whole 'asylum' seeker/migrant issue? Are we not to even DARE to have a free and open debate without the ridiculous 'racism' card being played EVERY time?
    I, for one, often wonder how people - who allegedly arrived here penniless - can, within days/weeks be enjoying what can only be decribed as a lavish lifestyle?

That does not constitute racism. Full stop. I have no problem with people arriving here wanting to work, but, like some of our native hangers-on (and we all know one) I have a problem with those who are abusing the system.

I meet people of every nationality, creed, and colour in the course of my daily work. Everyone gets the same attention and manners - whatever your nationality, belief, or skin colour. As it should be. I treat others as I expect to be treated myself. With courtesy and respect. It's a pity that some of them arriving here do not embrace our culture the way we are encouraged to 'embrace' theirs.

I believe that there was an issue in a local factory recently where workers were asked not to address people with the word 'boy' - a greeting synonomous with Waterford City and County.

If it has come to that then the lunatic bleeding heart liberals have indeed taken over not just the asylum, but our way of life. A sad indictment of our 'backbone'.

It is also worth noting if the immigrant 'minority' (now 10% of the population) ever organise themselves they will hold the balance of power in this country. Because Civil War politics will prevent the big two from coalescing to prevent this happening. I wonder where the libers will be then? And what they will be shouting for?

There was no sweeping statement about Waterford being very racist just to put you straight. I possibly should have qualified the statement with people that I have come across as there is no way that I could know everyone:rolleyes: I am from Waterford and while there about a month ago I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I have no problem with "people QUESTIONING the whole 'asylum' seeker/migrant issue" but that is a million miles from what I was hearing. People leaving a pub because it was full of "Polish fckers", a Polish guy getting punched because he robbed a pint (that was as it turned out left on a different table), a guy getting a bouncer to throw same Polish guy out for fighting, "Polish fckers" that don't understand English etc

This I think you will agree is racism

tonc76 wrote: »
    There was no sweeping statement about Waterford being very racist just to put you straight. I possibly should have qualified the statement with people that I have come across as there is no way that I could know everyone:rolleyes: I am from Waterford and while there about a month ago I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I have no problem with "people QUESTIONING the whole 'asylum' seeker/migrant issue" but that is a million miles from what I was hearing. People leaving a pub because it was full of "Polish fckers", a Polish guy getting punched because he robbed a pint (that was as it turned out left on a different table), a guy getting a bouncer to throw same Polish guy out for fighting, "Polish fckers" that don't understand English etc

This I think you will agree is racism

I would. But I would not paint the entire City as racist because of one isolated incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yes, Waterford is somewhat racist compared to other cities I've been in from what I've seen and encountered.

I don't see how you think I painted the whole city as being racist? I replied to the OP's question and stated my opinion "I think a lot of people are racist in waterford" not Waterford is very racist or the whole city is racist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jdb66

[QUOTE=Sully;55518993
    Maybe certain estates in Waterford simply because there just scumbags living there with nothing better to do.

Which certain estates that are full of these scumbag racists are you on about?

Coucil estates by any chance? :rolleyes:

Having lived in both Waterford and Tramore in the last 6 months,i would say they are on a par with each other as far as acceptance of immigrants is concerned.

For those in this country who seem to think that the racism bit goes only one way,can i suggest that you get your heads out of your h*les and take a good look around you.Some seem to think that Africans,East Europeans,Asians etc are incapable of being racist.It can be and is a two way thing.It's not exclusive just to the Irish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I, for one, often wonder how people - who allegedly arrived here penniless - can, within days/weeks be enjoying what can only be decribed as a lavish lifestyle? That does not constitute racism. Full stop. I have no problem with people arriving here wanting to work, but, like some of our native hangers-on (and we all know one) I have a problem with those who are abusing the system.

I don't mind people questioning it, but a lot of the time people in Waterford (or general people) come out with allegations with no proof. They don't ask questions. They get angry and start complaining saying they rob all our jobs etc. We cant prove that they get cash when they arrive, or they get cars or jobs straight away. That is why people play the racism card - because its how people "talk" about it.

A lot of them are employed at lower rates then the Irish and they don't care to much. Plus, a lot of the Polish workers are very good workers compared to Irish. That would be one reason why they get better jobs compared to the Irish.

I think most people get treated the same way nowadays. I don't think Waterford is a racist city any more. There is always going to be small pockets of it, but nothing big.

Can you provide an example of how they don't embrace our culture? I can only think of religious reasons like Christmas.

That is an odd one. Wonder why someone would complain about that.. Or was it more for professional reasons?

Shouldn't really do it without the OPs permission or if it breaks the charter.. I'm sure the OP will ask us shortly ;)

jdb66 wrote: »
    [QUOTE=Sully;55518993
    Maybe certain estates in Waterford simply because there just scumbags living there with nothing better to do.

Yes some council estates would have members in the estate who would be like that along with some other estates that are not council estates. Its not a problem in every estate I would imagine. No proof of course, just would think that. Its not that widespread surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Sweping generalsations are killing the internet.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Yes, Waterford is somewhat racist compared to other cities I've been in from what I've seen and encountered.

Examples?:confused:

• Advertisement

jdb66 wrote: »
    [QUOTE=Sully;55518993

Having lived in both Waterford and Tramore in the last 6 months,i would say they are on a par with each other as far as acceptance of immigrants is concerned.

For those in this country who seem to think that the racism bit goes only one way,can i suggest that you get your heads out of your h*les and take a good look around you.Some seem to think that Africans,East Europeans,Asians etc are incapable of being racist.It can be and is a two way thing.It's not exclusive just to the Irish.

My point entirely. Well said.:)

Sully wrote: »
    A lot of them are employed at lower rates then the Irish and they don't care to much. Plus, a lot of the Polish workers are very good workers compared to Irish. That would be one reason why they get better jobs compared to the Irish.

You see Sully, that's the type of sweeping generalisation that gets my wick up. Do you have concrete proof of this. Can you provide examples?

Can you provide an example of how they don't embrace our culture? I can only think of religious reasons like Christmas.

Not specific ones. But my opinion on it is that if I go somewhere else - be it another country, area, etc - it is up to me - not the locals - to integrate.

That is an odd one. Wonder why someone would complain about that.. Or was it more for professional reasons?

Apparently some race takes exception to the greeting 'well boy'. Sod them. That is how we greet one another here. If I was asked to refrain from using it I would refuse to do so. Methinks a fair enough example of integration Sully?;)

You see Sully, that's the type of sweeping generalisation that gets my wick up. Do you have concrete proof of this. Can you provide examples?

I dont have the time to Google it, but I know of a few (at least) recent news articles about the pay issue. Surveys were done I do believe and some even took action. IIRC. With regards to better workers, from my experience (not really within my side of work, as its a bit different) working with them and listening to employers rants from other companies/businesses - it would seem that indeed a lot of them are hard workers compared to the Irish. Obviously not all, some are bound to be lazy or crap (and iv experienced some) and other Irish people are just as good as the others (and iv experienced some).
    Not specific ones. But my opinion on it is that if I go somewhere else - be it another country, area, etc - it is up to me - not the locals - to integrate.

Different countrys do different things with regards to new people in their estates. I found in Croatia for example, a lot of the locals approach you and try to to get to know you and so on. In one particular place I experienced the locals to be extremely friendly and fourthcoming compared to how we approach people in Ireland.

Religion is completely different and I do feel that we have to repsect their religion when in their country, but they dont respect our religious choice over here.
    Apparently some race takes exception to the greeting 'well boy'. Sod them. That is how we greet one another here. If I was asked to refrain from using it I would refuse to do so. Methinks a fair enough example of integration Sully?;)

Christ how in the name of god is that anyway racist or non PC? I am very supprised to hear that though I think a lot of employers are afraid of being brought up in court for racisim. Even if what they did was not anyway racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Ha next time I see a Black or a Polski or whoever comes here now i'm going to roar well boy at them whether I know them or not

I have experienced situations where the blacks seem to bring racism on themselves, by using the rascism card in the same way those dirty filthy thieving gyppos use the "ah sure thats discrimination boss" one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ha next time I see a Black or a Polski or whoever comes here now i'm going to roar well boy at them whether I know them or not

I have experienced situations where the blacks seem to bring racism on themselves, by using the rascism card in the same way those dirty filthy thieving gyppos use the "ah sure thats discrimination boss" one

"boy" is only a derogetery term for Black People, it came from Slave time America.

snyper wrote: »
    "boy" is only a derogetery term for Black People, it came from Slave time America.
    I was wondering who found it offensive boy

Examples?:confused:

Just random conversations with people.. This is paraphrasing..

"They come over here and get free cars.."

"Those feckin' blacks"

"I'd ship them all home tomorrow".

Just stuff of this nature. From talking with people from Waterford, I just feel that they are not comfortable with other races or nationalities being here.. Given the fact that Waterford was a one race, one nationality city for 100's of years. they are not used to it.

Anyone who thinks Waterford doesn't have a racism problem is in severe denial. I'm not saying it's overboard or anything, but it's something that needs to be addressed.

Just random conversations with people.. This is paraphrasing..

"They come over here and get free cars.."

"Those feckin' blacks"

"I'd ship them all home tomorrow".

Just stuff of this nature. From talking with people from Waterford, I just feel that they are not comfortable with other races or nationalities being here.. Given the fact that Waterford was a one race, one nationality city for 100's of years. they are not used to it.

Anyone who thinks Waterford doesn't have a racism problem is in severe denial. I'm not saying it's overboard or anything, but it's something that needs to be addressed.
    Happens everywhere in Ireland

(well in the two other cities i've lived in)

Take a trip over to the After Hours forum, here you will see that the whole country has a similar attitude to Waterford

And we all hate Roma Gypsies (quite rightfully imo)

. From talking with people from Waterford, I just feel that they are not comfortable with other races or nationalities being here.. Given the fact that Waterford was a one race, one nationality city for 100's of years. they are not used to it.

Eh? Which race Dane? Norman? Anglo?

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Eh? Which race Dane? Norman? Anglo?

Mike.

Mike, I'm not talking Viking days, but for a long time - Waterford has been an Irish city, with no minorities. Now that minorities are flooding in, people are finding it hard to deal with. I remember alot of racist comments that were said without fear before immigrants came, now people think twice. And they only said it because there were no minorities there for them to offend.

Advertisement