Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Waterford a Racist Town?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

In my opinion I'd have to say Waterford on the whole is not a racist city. Sure, there's elements of xenophobia about the town which can be somewhat understood due to the relatively new concept of foreigners cohabiting in the city with the locals on a permanent basis, but nothing that could deem the whole area as being out and out racist.

Racism and pure hatred on a general scale has not polluted the city to the same degree as it has other cities where foreigners have lived for generations and are still viciously attacked, both verbally and physically, for being 'outsiders'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Chochese wrote: »
    In my opinion I'd have to say Waterford on the whole is not a racist city. Sure, there's elements of xenophobia about the town which can be somewhat understood due to the relatively new concept of foreigners cohabiting in the city with the locals on a permanent basis, but nothing that could deem the whole area as being out and out racist.

Racism and pure hatred on a general scale has not polluted the city to the same degree as it has other cities where foreigners have lived for generations and are still viciously attacked, both verbally and physically, for being 'outsiders'.

Case closed with that comment. Excellent.:) And might I just alter it slightly by adding that Racism and pure hatred on a general scale has not polluted the city to the same degree as is being painted by a very vociferous and manipulative minority.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

dlofnep wrote: »
    Mike, I'm not talking Viking days, but for a long time - Waterford has been an Irish city, with no minorities.

I thought you were talking about Viking times. 'Cause as long as I can remember there has always been minorities in Waterford. Look at all the Chinese Restaurants & Take Aways, also you could go out to either of the hospitals in Waterford in the 80's & mid 90's till they were shut down and you could see any amount of Asian Doctors. So to say that Waterford has had no minorities is a false statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

MrLuke wrote: »
    I have twenty answers, would like to hear what others think.....

IMO it is very racist.

Would you care to tell us what happened for you to come to the conclusion that Waterford is a more racist CITY than any other area of the country. It is a hell of a statement to make without anything to back it up.

I have only once heard racist talk and that was from a drunk man in a chipper late one Saturday night; there will always be that kind of thing wherever you go. There are the usually urban myths about taking our jobs, getting stuff for nothing and so on. So no I don’t think Waterford is anymore racist that anywhere else in Ireland or even Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Chochese wrote: »

I don't think Waterford is a racist city. No doubt there are the ignorant individuals who are but you'll come across those everywhere.

At least half my friends here are foreigners and they've never had any racist comments made to them. Like most irish people they've encountered ignorant people but this had nothing to do with race.

Having lived in London during the 80's and 90's I along with a lot of irish people would routinely be the victims of racial abuse especially whenever bombs went off. I've also seen people use the race card in cases where it had nothing to do with race.

• Advertisement
Advertisement