Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.8ghz av sender

Options
  • 29-03-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

anyone know where can pick up a 5.8gjz audio video sender? Tried 2.4ghz ones and reception is woefull in new house (grand in old house). Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

AFAIK, such devices are not licenced in this country, though I'm open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

5.8GHZ is licence exempt. I saw a device from Belken at a trade show a couple of weeks ago, which uses 5.8GM and was due to be released soon. Very nice solution, not available just yet though. I would always say though, go wired, rather than wireless if you can.

What type of environment are you living in, i.e do you reckon the problem is related to interference at 2.4Ghz, or is it perhaps more likely to be a signal strength issue ?

Wexfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Some form of interference (reception is never right even in next room) Can't figure out what it is though. Turned off everything (wifi, phone, microwave, fridge, cooker, etc) but little/no improvement. Its a (not cheap) philips model. Again worked perfectly in old house. Think there is something in the area decking it up but what I don't know (semi rural area)

Not going to wire it(rented house) but for sure will be in new house we are going to build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Going a bit off topic now, but is your unit channel selectable, did you try different channels, and did you try it with the unit located in the same room to see what the reception was like ?

What type of signal are you getting, and how is it poor ?

To be honest, if you are living in a semi rural area interference is unlikely, unless someone is using some 2.4g bb equipment in your area possiblly ?

Wexfordman

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

wexfordman wrote: »
    Going a bit off topic now, but is your unit channel selectable, did you try different channels, and did you try it with the unit located in the same room to see what the reception was like ?

What type of signal are you getting, and how is it poor ?

To be honest, if you are living in a semi rural area interference is unlikely, unless someone is using some 2.4g bb equipment in your area possiblly ?

Wexfordman

Yeah has cannels. Tried them all, no difference (one of them knocked out my wifi). Looked up their freqeuncies and have it and my wifi set as far as possible as each other.

Tried in next door room on of monitor which can also act as a tv. Very similar poor performance.

Up to recently the reception had lines going across screen with bad crackling sound.

Recently has improved to where is watchable sometimes to where crackling sound would drdrive you mad.

Only thing I can think off in the locality is that there is an ariel for wireless broadband (like what digiweb provides but is a different company).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Belkin make WiFi gear,
    an AV sender that uses WiFi on 5.8GHz would be legal.

Analogue Video senders are not on 5.8Ghz. Comreg stats only CE marked 2.4GHz Video Senders allowed.

Licence Exempt on 27Mhz, 49Mhz, 433MHz, 446MHz, 864MHz, 2.4GHz, 5.8GHz and 10.xGHz only means APPROVED devices don't need a licence. It doesn't mean ANY device.

and iTrip very low power on 87 to 108MHz MP3 to FM radio. 1.4GHz, 14Ghz and 18GHz etc are also Licence Exempt for certain Sat phones and two Way Internet, but NOT the base station for Sat phones or Two Way Internet.

You can't use 446MHz for example for anything but a CE mark FM analogue handset

You can't use anything other than 1W AM, 4W FM/SSB ETSI / CE mark CB on 27MHz,

Licence Exempt really means "pre licenced" gadgets, not free for all. There is big differences between countries and regions.

Digiweb only uses Licences. 900MHz, 3.5Ghz and 10.5GHz. Some small companies and Group Schemes use 2.4Ghz and 5.8GHz. You arn't allowed outdoor 5.8GHz without registering with ComReg.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

There is one on Maplin's UK site so maybe you could get one in store here. Alternatively order online from there. Just search for 5.8 or video sender. They are on backorder at the moment.

/Zith

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The maplin 5.8GHz video sender might be illegal in Ireland.

Licence Exempt
    http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/exemptions.541.488.rslicensing.html

Short Range Devices
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/odtr0271R1.pdf
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0647R.pdf

Admittedly ONE pdf on its own does suggest you can use ANY < 25mW CE marked 5.8GHz device. (SRD).

Video Senders are typically 50mW to 100mW, but the Maplin one is 12mW, so range very limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

higster wrote: »
    Some form of interference (reception is never right even in next room) Can't figure out what it is though. Turned off everything (wifi, phone, microwave, fridge, cooker, etc) but little/no improvement. Its a (not cheap) philips model. Again worked perfectly in old house. Think there is something in the area decking it up but what I don't know (semi rural area)

Not going to wire it(rented house) but for sure will be in new house we are going to build.

Bluetooth devices are a killer when using 2.4GHz video senders.

Try making sure that ale bluetooth devices (phones, pc, laptop etc) are off and see what happens.

Advertisement