Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb metro speed jump!

Options
  • 29-03-2008 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Morning folks,

I was downloading the GTA IV trailer and i noticed that the speed hit 455KB/s! a quick speed test later and it looks like the 3Mb package is now running at 5Mb! nice!

A good thing too... i was going to start looking at NTL options when my contract was coming to a close in october but this should keep me with digiweb for a while longer!

252448619.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mcloughj wrote: »
    Morning folks,

I was downloading the GTA IV trailer and i noticed that the speed hit 455KB/s! a quick speed test later and it looks like the 3Mb package is not running at 5Mb! nice!

A good thing too... i was going to start looking at NTL options when my contract was coming to a close in october but this should keep me with digiweb for a while longer!

252448619.png

NTL 3 Meg going to 6 Meg and their 6 Meg is going to 12 on April 1st. I'm on 6 ATM.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Ronin2009

my 3mb is doing over 7mb's right now
    pity i'm changing to NTL/chorus (contract runs out) they are upgrading to 12mb in april for €5 extra

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Ronin2009

Ronin2009 wrote: »
    my 3mb is doing over 7mb's right now
    pity i'm changing to NTL/chorus (contract runs out) they are upgrading to 12mb in april for €5 extra

sorry 5 xtra compared to digiweb that is :)

any one know id digiweb ahs increased the downlaod limit? no point increasing the speed if they have the same sh!t limits

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

So im not the only one who noticed this

252527602.png

I couldnt get NTL where im living, 2 weeks after getting digiweb setup i get a letter saying they are going to be upgradign the cable in the area :(

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Same here, went from 3Mb to 5 it seems.

While that is good news and applauded, it is of course of no use if the cap does not change.

Theoretically you can hit your download limit with 3Mb in about 1 day, idling your connection for 29 days. Now you can do it in around 15 hours :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My 1 mb is still 1 mb.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mcloughj

Speeds seem to be a bit all over the place.

252679539.png

Fingers crossed they'll be back up again soon, and maybe hit the 6mb mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

My 5/1Mb is still the same (including 1-2% packet loss!)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Yeah I noticed the increase myself aswel. I'm on the 3mb package

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

My speeds have been extremely erratic over the past 3 weeks - it really is incredibly annoying. I'll have to ring them tomorrow to find out whats going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

My 3mb Digiweb is all over the place. bairly gettin 1mb on downloads and my stats are going crazy it keeps changing its mind as to what ive downloaded the last 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

252947790.png same here. I always get a lower upload than everyone else though...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Metro Lite is staying at 1Mb
    Metro Value is going from 2Mb to 3Mb
    Metro Home is going from 3Mb to 6Mb
    Metro Xtra is going from 5Mb to 10Mb

No change to upload speeds or traffic quotas.

Interesting - No upload speed changes, and no increase in traffic quotas. What on earth are the reasons behind the latter non-changes? :s

Also, I've found something out about my connection fluctuations: Every evening my traffic-stats seem to get reset to some previous stats, for example, my stats last night said I'd downloaded a total of 5.99 gigs in the past month. This came with incredibly erratic download speeds, and terrible ping fluctuations and packetloss during online gaming.

This morning I see that the connection is nice and stable, and my stats are back up to their previous setting of 29-30 gigs in the past month (Limit of 50 gigs - The top home package, so I'm not going over anything important)

I'll have to ring them later to find out what on earth is happening.

Thanks for the info though Shiverin - where'd you find it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Can anyone recommend Digiweb (wireless pkg) in the Donabate area. Thinking of getting rid of the phone line. What's voip like with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Can anyone recommend Digiweb (wireless pkg) in the Donabate area. Thinking of getting rid of the phone line. What's voip like with them?
    The phone works quite well. The cordless handset i got with the package is a bit crap thou. One of my house mates uses some program on her pc to make calls and she says its been fine since the start (there's 3-4 of us using it at times).

Them speed increases are a nice addition. With a few people having issue's with their 5mb connex will me moving to 6mb not cause more problems?

OT: bad weather = bad speeds? Speeds where terrible with the rain last nite presumably that was to blame

Its a wireless service, so I expect bad weather to cause problems (and last night was particularly bad in Dublin). That said, I've also noticed massive improvements in speeds during bad weather too - probably due to the amount of people that turn off and plugout their pc's when heavy thunderstorms pop in to say hello :)

Miserable Barstools :mad:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Look at it this way Mike, if you go up to the next package, you'll triple your speed for an extra fiver

True I guess thats part of thier reasoning, most peeps at 1 mb I bet.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's got everything to do with eircom not upgrading the 1Mbps package. They also can't increase the caps because then the network would fall apart, so it's probably a good thing they're kept as they are. I guess eircom hasn't increased their unenforced caps either.

Digiweb also has a half price offer the first three months.

I'm semi-tempted as my phone line isn't great and I won't see the new eircom speeds. Some nasty looking trees in the direction of the Digiweb mast, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, I was blocked by trees, got permission from farmer to cut lowest bough on a pair, now the gap to Mast is visible from just above back door. 60ft or 70ft beech trees so a pole on chimney would bring down Aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I cant belive there not upgrading the allowence. It would be nice to get a bit more if there increasing the speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

No mention of Metro Lite /1Mb on their new homepage. The cheapest package now appears to be 29.95 (up from 19.99 a couple of years ago).

I've noticed no download speed change, but my upload speed is gone to pot today (all over the place, so I'm hoping just teething issues for the new speeds for everyone-but-me!).

After thinking about the whole 'upgrade', I lost my good mood a bit.

-Increasing the speed, but not the cap, will make the same money for Digiweb, but all the other providers were happy to lose some money (because higher speeds will likely lead to more data use, not to mention the cost of the upgrades).

-The cheapest package is now 30 euro, not 20.

-If it was possible to upgrade the speeds now, why didn't Digiweb do that a year ago? Thus gaining a lot more customers?
    Well, this is not sure I have to admit, maybe the network couldn't handle those speeds a year ago.

-Digiweb used to be front runner, this is only a response.
    I wish we had a insight in how many users the Metro technology can handle, just to see if Digiweb is deliberately cutting the cap (greed) or if there is no room in the technology used but speeds.

I sent an email to Digiweb support as well, I hope they let the managers know that at least 1 customer is a bit disappointed

I'm on hold at the moment (in position 9, and they close at 8pm ...) to complain about the shoddy speeds I'm getting since the upgrade (and, I presume, the preparation for it) happened.

Not a happy bunny.

****ers! Position 9, 8, 4, 3, then they pickup and hang up on me?

Shower of ***** :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Really just a case of follow the leader. Digiweb aren't even making a moderate ripple in the Irish broadband pond.

You know, I always thought if you would chose anything but Digiweb, if you had the choice, you would be stupid.

I have a choice (for a long time) for DSL and 2 other wireless providers.

DSL = paying Eircon money, will never do that.
    I mean 120 euro for a connection just to hand it over to another ISP?? and they will have to pay Eircon???

But those 2 other wireless providers are getting more interesting as both don't have a cap (but less speed, but vastly more upload speed)

Will see how it pans out, I am actually not a heavy downloader. It just pisses me off what Digiweb has offered here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I paid in advance last year for Digiweb and it has been pretty impressive. I work from home and am dependent on my broadband and only had two outages in the past 10 months.

I can now get 12mb from UPC, so I might phone Digiweb in the coming weeks and see if they will give me the 10mb for the price of the 6mb package.

253376184.png

Advertisement