Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb metro speed jump!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I'm so incredibly frustrated with my Digiweb Metro connection right now. Speeds are atrocious, and pings and packetloss are through the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

Digiwebs service is top notch, so is their reliability. They don't block any port, I rarely had contention. Their support is top as well.

That's not the problem.

I can recommend Digiweb to anyone who downloads the occasional movie or TV program.

But i like to take my connection to the next level, and trust me that is not a speed increase if you have a lot of days to spare to download the same. (let me explain: a tv program in 1 day or 1 week doesn't matter, so I am not interested in speed, I am interested in limits)

Without getting sentimental, my life was changed by finally getting a broadband connection (no more prefabbed TV basically :) ) but now I am sure that the next stage of BB is enough speed for streaming TV and no data limits.

Digiwebs upgrades don't seem to help...

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

I'm on the old 5mb/1mb package and my speeds haven't changed. Looks like the changes only apply to the new packages.

I'm not sure if I should ask them to move me to the new package, my current upload speed is 1mb (512k on new package), and from what I know the contention ratio is higher on the new packages (currently 20:1).

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'm in the same boat as you trant, and there's no way I'll drop my 1Mb upload (even for 10Mb download.. on Digweb anyway).

Have had more outages on my Metro than eircom DSL, but no very long outage (longest was about 2 hours). I still have major problems with my seldom-used phone service. Seldom used because VoIP is so much cheaper than Metro rates, no VoiceMail "in a few weeks" as promised 2 years ago, and everytime I go to use it (bar twice in a year and a half) it fails to connect (and inbound calls get the number not in service tone).

Still, it represents better value than DSL for me (because of the 1Mb upload), and the Sky boxes manage to call home after a few attempts, so that'll do me.

My rubbish uplaod speds are back to normal tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

zoro wrote: »
    ****ers! Position 9, 8, 4, 3, then they pickup and hang up on me?

Shower of ***** :/
    What happens if there is 50 persons in a shop at closing time? you think the checkout girl will stay until 2am to server everybody? No, everyone out! now! :D

• Advertisement

ZeRoY wrote: »
    What happens if there is 50 persons in a shop at closing time? you think the checkout girl will stay until 2am to server everybody? No, everyone out! now! :D

Yeah I know, I know. Overreaction on my part last night, just ignore the ranting :)
    Getting amazing speeds this morning - 9.6Meg download and 496K upload - So I'll make sure I ring nice and early this evening when the thing goes to pot again :)

ZeRoY wrote: »

Generally they *try* and accomodate you somehow, but at the very least they'd apologise, not let you get to the counter (having queued) say reach for your items and ready to scan, then drop everything and go home (i.e. answer and then hang up).

Call centre software is well capable of handling these types of calls (from adding a warning that your call may not be answered, even if you wait, to apologising but "we're closing, please leave a VM instead").

I'm talking in general here.. there are some heavier users of bandwidth (the minority) who will, of course, notice every bit of bandwidth afforded to them.

Am I really the only one experiencing such terrible connection rates?
    I'm quite literally getting 1/10th of the upload and download that I should be...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

here's what im getting:
    253869532.png

6mb/512k

Just let the ping command run and it returned 1 lost packet out of 299, couple of ping spikes & 41ms ping.

No problems here.

Zoro: wonder could your antenna have gotten a knock and not be alighned properly anymore?

I'm only getting 4Mbps/150Kbps (out of my 5Mbps/1Mbps) tonight. Was fine earlier in the day. Doesn't look like sector contention, but further out the Digiweb network (their INEX hop).

Edit: that's using Blacknight ISP test. On SpeedTest.net/WestNet, it's lower. However that appears to be on a Hosting 365 IP marked as Shared Hosting. If accurate, that would render that Dublin test meaningless. Westnet's Limerick node (FWI.ie) seems to be as bad. Download is reasonably consistent at 4Mb but upload is anything from 44Kbps to 180Kbps. Tracing shows the problem not being the first/second hop (sector contention), but routes leaving DEG/INEX. This could be another undocumented Digiweb network issue, but the consistent download (consistently at 80%) points to some shaping gone wrong somewhere, me thinks.

• Advertisement

Jozi: In the morning I get full (I mean _FULL_) speeds, so no. The crew in Digiweb are looking into it for me, just wondering if I'm alone :)

cgarvey: Interesting point about the shaping gone wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Just wondering ive searched but cant find an answer, do digiweb actually throttle your connection if you go over the cap... and if so by how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes.. it's by rolling 30days, not date.

About 100k throttle. If the big peak falls off your usage on mytraffic.digiweb.ie (30days), see graphs too) then the throttle is removed.

you can also buy an increase in Cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

watty wrote: »
    you can also buy an increase in Cap.

How much extra is that?

I can't find web link as the Digi - web - pixies are at work making the website shiny.

You'd need to ring up. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

5.99 for a 10gig a month increase. got an email recently about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

my 6Mb download speed is a bit of a disaster for the last couple of days seems really slow. Even doing a bit of rummaging around news sites seems to take forever. I am not a bit happy and hope they sort this soon,

I bit the bullet and asked Digiweb to change me from the old package (5mb/1mb) to the new one (10mb/512kb). I have performed a few speed tests which confirm that the upgrade has gone through, but my modem still states that the Upstream Data Rate is at 5120 Ksym/sec. Could someone that is on the new package check this?

Watty, can you offer any advice?

Thanks.

And again tonight, upload speed is, at best, 50% of what it should be. Download speed is fine. Dreading having to ring support in the morning :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

trant wrote: »
    I bit the bullet and asked Digiweb to change me from the old package (5mb/1mb) to the new one (10mb/512kb). I have performed a few speed tests which confirm that the upgrade has gone through, but my modem still states that the Upstream Data Rate is at 5120 Ksym/sec. Could someone that is on the new package check this?

Watty, can you offer any advice?

Thanks.

The Ksym/sec rate is not an indication of the upload speed but merely the upload channel size that is in use.

• Advertisement

Thanks Chaz.

A sym = Symbol. It can be 1, 2, 4 etc.. bits depending on settings.

If it was one, the channel would be 5012kbps, x10 your speed.
    If it was four, the channel would be 20048kps = 20Mbps, x40 your speed :)

The base station has also multiple modem channels.:)

So you don't need to worry about your upload speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Fair play to digi web they might be only reacting to eircom but something for nothing is always appreciated. I hope the cap gos up but if not might just take plunge and upgrade to the 10mb/50gb package, ive still vivid memories of staying up all night on dial up downloading an album so this seems amazing to me.
    yes.. it's by rolling 30days, not date.

About 100k throttle. If the big peak falls off your usage on mytraffic.digiweb.ie (30days), see graphs too) then the throttle is removed.

I was finally told by digi web (after doing this a load of times) that they throttle your connection if you go 20% over your cap. After that your down to 10k or soemthing till your 20% under the cap. so if youve a 30gb limit you can go up to just under 36gb before getting throttled and if you go over youll need to get it down to 24gb before limit is removed. I was fairly pissed off about this at the time but now i know it its actually ok and easy enough to manage.
    jozi wrote: »
    How much extra is that?

Unless they have changed the price you can buy an extra 10gb for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I'm on Digiweb Metro 3Mb/512kb (now 6Mb/512kb since the upgrade.

I got the following an hour ago:
    digiweb2rc8.jpg

I got this a couple of nights ago around 3:00 AM:
    digiweb1hv6.jpg

Good for late night downloading. :-p Now to get the traffic caps updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

digiweb2rc8.jpg

I got this a couple of nights ago around 3:00 AM:
    digiweb1hv6.jpg

Good for late night downloading. :-p Now to get the traffic caps updated.

Can you PM me your wireless number please? Thanks.

A sym = Symbol. It can be 1, 2, 4 etc.. bits depending on settings.

If it was one, the channel would be 5012kbps, x10 your speed.
    If it was four, the channel would be 20048kps = 20Mbps, x40 your speed :)

The base station has also multiple modem channels.:)

So you don't need to worry about your upload speed.

Cheers for that Watty.

digiweb2rc8.jpg

Comparing that to my connection in the evening times, I'm on dialup :)

Advertisement