Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

haggling with car dealers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Anan1 wrote: »
    While often true in practice, this is not true in principle. What's important is not where you're standing but how the seller percieves you. Turning up in a showroom is to some extent an indicator of serious intent, but it's only one indicator. With experience, it is quite possible to extract the maximum available discount from most sellers by phone.

a) I don't know any salespeople who would give their bottom-line price over the phone

b) I'm presuming a certain lack of experience anyway on the part of the OP by virtue of the fact that he's started a thread about it...

But I'm just giving my opinion and limited experience, ymmv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'm with the rest, face to face is far better. I've been asked about discounts on private sales over the phone and I won't even name numbers. Why would a dealer commit themselves. And in general you negotiate on the basis of teh car in front of you - if you haven't seen it how can you haggle?

When I bought the Jag in the UK I had an envelope full of cash in my pocket. The dealer dropped a certain amount but wasn't budging. So I put the money on the roof of the car.

He caved and the deal was done! Something about the smell of crisp £50 notes that car salesmen find hard to resist... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AudiChris wrote: »
    a) I don't know any salespeople who would give their bottom-line price over the phone.
    They wouldn't most of the time. If they genuinely feel that they're close to closing a deal though, they almost always will.
    b) I'm presuming a certain lack of experience anyway on the part of the OP by virtue of the fact that he's started a thread about it...
    Me too, i'm not for an instant suggesting that the OP attempt this, i'm just making the point that there is a better way than flying to the UK with a wad of cash and an open mind...
    But I'm just giving my opinion and limited experience, ymmv.
    Me too, aren't we all?:)

Advertisement