Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passed checkpoint with no insurance or tax disc

Options
  • 29-03-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hey thought this might be interesting. I passed a garda checkpoint this week and there was a guard on a bike doing a checkpoint solo. Quiet road, i stopped and he looked at the tax, NCT and insurance discs. The thing is that there was only an NCT disc and an out of date. Its the gf car which was just bought and I was driving. It had no tax so we were actually on the way to the tax office to tax it. The insurance disc was in my pocket. The insurance was transferred from her old car and all just never put it on display.

I think it is very strange that i wasnt stopped and questioned about this. The guard just waved me on and that was that.

Any opinions on why nothing was said?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

chris85 wrote: »
    Hey thought this might be interesting. I passed a garda checkpoint this week and there was a guard on a bike doing a checkpoint solo. Quiet road, i stopped and he looked at the tax, NCT and insurance discs. The thing is that there was only an NCT disc and an out of date. Its the gf car which was just bought and I was driving. It had no tax so we were actually on the way to the tax office to tax it. The insurance disc was in my pocket. The insurance was transferred from her old car and all just never put it on display.

I think it is very strange that i wasnt stopped and questioned about this. The guard just waved me on and that was that.

It was probably long day for the garda who was checking tax/insurance. If it was quiet i'm sure he must have checked a good few cars.

I think just count yourself lucky and hope nothing comes in the post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

It was probably long day for the garda who was checking tax/insurance. If it was quiet i'm sure he must have checked a good few cars.

I think just count yourself lucky and hope nothing comes in the post ;)

Nothing can come in the post. he didnt take any details and he would have had to enquire about it. I have valid insurance which i would have shown him. Tax im not bothered about because i know there is a few days grace to allow tax recently purchased cars.

I really should have been asked about it.

Edit: I actually meant to start this in motoring so could a Mod move it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Was he checking the discs of the vehicles in front of you (if any)?

The reason I ask is that he may have been on an alternative misson perhaps targeted at one individual but made to look like a standard tax/insurance checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The reason I ask is that he may have been on an alternative misson perhaps targeted at one individual but made to look like a standard tax/insurance checkpoint.

There was no car in front of me. It was on the stretch between Leixlip and Maynooth ( not the motorway). long quiet road. Nothing in front, nothing behind. he had a look at discs and waved through.

There was no car in front of me. It was on the stretch between Leixlip and Maynooth ( not the motorway). long quiet road. Nothing in front, nothing behind. he had a look at discs and waved through.
    It still possible that he was waiting for something/someone else. For example, he may have got a report that a drunk motorist had left a pub and was heading that way.

Maybe he just couldn't be bothered!

• Advertisement

I was thinking the same thing! Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

+1. Although funny things do happen. A couple of years back, I went through a speed trap in a UK registered Beetle doing a solid 120mph. They had enough time to flag me down, but not a move out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

He (the cop) shudda went to Specsavers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Weird-I was on this same road today with no tax or insurance displayed (both are in the post) but didn't see any checkpoint.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

H

You were on your way home from the Bridewell and still had your uniform on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I always get waved on, strangely enough my discs are out of date by a few days and they wave me on anyway,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hot4teacher

I got stopped in Dublin a couple of years ago by a garda on a bike at a traffic junction.
    It was my g/f's car and the tax disc had totally faded in the sun (definately not last summer then!!) but you could still see the colour so he knew it was in date, but he still had the car impounded and caused me a lot of grief and money getting it back.

some you win, some you lose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

thats just mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Nothing can come in the post. he didnt take any details and he would have had to enquire about it. I have valid insurance which i would have shown him. Tax im not bothered about because i know there is a few days grace to allow tax recently purchased cars.

I really should have been asked about it.

He doesn't need any details, all he needs is the reg, the onus is on your to prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I was stopped along that road before. It was just for the casual "where are you coming from" chat which usually means they want to know if you're drunk or they are looking for something specific. They didn't check my discs at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never seen a checkpoint on that road before, was it on the WS2 section? Could have been trying to get those that come over the hill at about 140...

Seen them at the roundabout at Tescos many a night doing random breath tests. My car seems to be utterly innocous in day time (always waved on) and utterly toxic at night (I rarely drink, drive to/from lots of events overnight, and probably knew the 'I'm now requiring you...' text off by heart over Christmas - obviously always passed) to any guard there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He was a hitman - dressed as a guard - waiting for someone else? :D

Advertisement