Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban Badges

Options
  • 29-03-2008 2:06pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of things in the avatar showing the importance and experience of a poster e.g. stars, modships, post count, and the brief thanks thing.

Why not have the option of showing where you have been banned for and for what e.g. banned from the non-drinkers club for being too pissed, banned from the ladies lounge for calling them all fat etc.

That seems to me to be the true measure of a boards.ie poster.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

There are a lot of things in the avatar showing the importance and experience of a poster e.g. stars, modships, post count, and the brief thanks thing.

Why not have the option of showing where you have been banned for and for what e.g. banned from the non-drinkers club for being too pissed, banned from the ladies lounge for calling them all fat etc.

That seems to me to be the true measure of a boards.ie poster.
    you mean like the way there is the ban list already,( reason for banning, who banned you and how long for)but on a personal level?
    hmmm people might have mixed feelings about it.
    i wouldnt mind it though, seems interesting...

request here perhaps?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I just want to throw it out there.

I suppose you could have the choice whether or not the ban appears in your avatar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it's not a bad idea - if you had an listing under the posters name saying "currently banned from: " it would help put them in context.

tbh wrote: »
    it's not a bad idea - if you had an listing under the posters name saying "currently banned from: " it would help put them in context.
    or a link to the page with your ban badge like the friends button?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

People might see them as something to wear with honour and go around causing trouble just to collect them .... bad idea.

Infractions are visable on profiles and thats handy to see who's been bold where.

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    People might see them as something to wear with honour and go around causing trouble just to collect them .... bad idea.
    people banned from multiple fora at the same time are generally sitebanned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Honestly, I think that would be possibly humiliating for the poster.

What business is it of anyone else's where a poster is banned from, apart from the mod and the poster in question. Without wanting to make too much of a superficial comparison, it's like making someone walk around with "Convicted Rapist" tattoo'd to their forehead. It would invite jeers into threads where a poster would be contributing, and that would be a bit of a nightmare.

nerin wrote: »
    or a link to the page with your ban badge like the friends button?

yeah - I like that - or could link to the infractions page as 6th points out.

Adverts | Friends | Active Bans (4)

i dunno whether thats necessarily true,i think the idea would be similar to the banlist page,but just for that user,making it handy for feedback or whatever to see.(like infractions)

edit>"It would invite jeers into threads where a poster would be contributing, and that would be a bit of a nightmare."
    yeah,that would be bad, i agree

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I think that's precisely what makes it a good idea - to post in BGRH you must be banned from the fitness, to post in non-drinkers club you must be banned from BGRH etc.

It will certainly open up the debate in some of the more obscure fora, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

What business is it of anyone else's where a poster is banned from, apart from the mod and the poster in question. Without wanting to make too much of a superficial comparison, it's like making someone walk around with "Convicted Rapist" tattoo'd to their forehead. It would invite jeers into threads where a poster would be contributing, and that would be a bit of a nightmare.
    On the nosey, tbh.

tbh wrote: »
    Adverts | Friends | Active Bans (4)

Actually that looks good.

I think it should be optional.

If I have two bans, one of which I'm proud of, the other I'm not, I can choose to display the one I'm proud of but not the other.

For example, there was a guy banned from AH by Terry because he said Macbeth. A lot of bans are funny and the source of pride e.g.

banned from the mustard forum for repeatedly speaking about ketchup
    banned from Ladies Lounge for sexual harrasment
    banned from BGRH for wearing pants
    banned from non-drinkers club for being a drunkard

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I agree with this.

I can choose to display the one I'm proud of but not the other.

I dont think being a pain in the ass to any forum should be seen as a good thing and rewarded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wouldnt maybe compare a ban with being a convicted rapist, but i agree with karl. Bans arent a competition and not really what this site is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Jeez, I thought this thread was titled "Ban Badgers" for a minute... was wondering what exactly the grumpy woodland creatures had done wrong THIS time...

Long story short... I agree with Karl Hungus.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement