Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tree name

Options
  • 29-03-2008 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi I was in a park in Dublin this week. The trees were mainly bare but there was a line of evergreens that brightened the place up.

Does anyone know the name of it please?

Cheers

atree1.jpg

atree2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 paulb

Evergreen Oak - aka Holm Oak (Quercus ilex), also called Holly Oak perhaps? I have one - the leaves on mine look at bit more pointy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

paulb wrote: »
    Evergreen Oak - aka Holm Oak (Quercus ilex), also called Holly Oak perhaps? I have one - the leaves on mine look at bit more pointy!
    That's what I thought too, initially, but the leaves aren't quite right as you point out, not pointy enough. There are a few other more obscure evergeen oaks as well, so maybe it's one of those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭inishindie

Thanks paulb
    I looked at an image of the Holm oak and I agree with Alun that the leaves are not as pointy! The council in Dublin must have got their hands on a different variety. Details say the trees grow really big, these specimens look old but they must be well lopped back every so often. I wouldn't mind them in my garden as they are a bit of greenery and seem to be better behaved than a eucalyptus!

Cheers

Advertisement