Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The RAVE Diet

Options
  • 29-03-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I've recently started a vegan-based diet called the RAVE diet. It's a vegan diet that also cuts out refined foods and vegetable oils (e.g. no more cooking with olive oil).

Has anyone else heard/tried this diet? I'd be interested to hear of people's experiences. I bought a book on it that included a DVD that I found very compelling.

I already knew that animal-based diets were a major cause of heart disease but I wasn't aware there was such a huge body of scientific experiments to support this.

So I've been on it for the last 4 days and not feeling any ill-effects as of yet ;)

Here's the site for it:http://www.ravediet.com/

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I hadn't heard of this diet before. How do you find the proposition of eating out on this diet? I'm a vegan myself, and I'd imagine your restrictions must make it that little bit harder! And I'm curious, when you say no vegetable oils, does that mean you are using sunflower oil, or no oil? If you are only avoiding vegetable oil, whats the difference between the two?

It would be great if you could come back after being on the diet a little longer to let us know how you are finding it :D The first few days are the easy part ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Hi Sweet-Rasmus,

Yeah, first few days are easy :) It'll be fine though as I've moved between vegan/vegetarian for the last 3 years and have had periods of being off refined foods so there's really no chance of me breaking the diet unless I find it to be a bad one. But I'll give it a few months before I make any decisions. It does seem like a common sense kind of diet to me though, eating foods that are closest to their natural raw state.

What concerns me about a vegan diet is that you can still eat very unhealthy foods so unless the vegan lifestyle is for ethical reasons it makes little sense to go to all that effort if one is to still eat crapp foods (simple carbs, sugars, etc.).

Eating out is defo. an issue. Had Thai food last night and they fortunately had a vegan waitress who was able to point out the dish (lol) I could eat.

About the oils, this diet maintains that you can get the oils directly from the source where it is combined with nutrients and fibre that allow the body to better process the fat content of the oils.

But, as you say, time will tell and I will let you know how it's going. I'm doing an intensive gym routine at the moment and for the next month I want to see how this diet affects my gym performance.

:)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Very true - eating foods closest to their natural raw state is the best way to eat them :) The whole raw food thing is a step further than I can manage, but like with your diet, I know you would probably feel a lot healthier for it.

Best of luck!

Advertisement