Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of DSL service.

Options
  • 29-03-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am moving house in a few months and I have checked the telephone line in the new house and it is not suitable for dsl:(
    I need to check if the line is split too. The line test "tool" on both eircom and the digiweb site confirm this.

This leaves me with the options of ICE broadband and the various satellite providers, but 200 euro a month is a bit extortionate for a 1024k down, 128k up uplink, not to mention the horrible latency of satellite( I play online games too so this is important). It's crazy that I am moving about 10km for my current house and the throughput is very good on my current wireless provider(digiweb metro 3mb), but yet the new area is behind the times?

Considering the area I intend on moving to is not exactly remote, and people in the area are stuck with ICE, is there any feasible way of convincing either Eircom/Digiweb to upgrade the exchange?. Because If metro is not feasible in this area, the options are slim with no dsl.
    The lack of availibility of broadband services is this country outside urban areas is shocking tbh:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

It might be worth having a look at the lists of exchanges to be upgraded. Even then, you'll be lucky if you're both close enough to the exchange for reliable service and that you're not on a pair-gain.

So Digiweb definitely can't provide you with a service in the area? They can call out to do a signal test to make sure.

You're right to want to avoid satellite broadband because of latency and cost. If all went to the worst, mobile "broadband" might be an option (ideally not from 3 through considering the problem megathread on this forum).

Is NTL (UPC) available in your area by any chance, cable that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

ethernet wrote: »
    It might be worth having a look at the lists of exchanges to be upgraded. Even then, you'll be lucky if you're both close enough to the exchange for reliable service and that you're not on a pair-gain.

So Digiweb definitely can't provide you with a service in the area? They can call out to do a signal test to make sure.

You're right to want to avoid satellite broadband because of latency and cost. If all went to the worst, mobile "broadband" might be an option (ideally not from 3 through considering the problem megathread on this forum).

Is NTL (UPC) available in your area by any chance, cable that is?

I am awaiting digiwebs confirmation of the metro service, and if dsl is an option sometime in the future.
    Not a chance I would even consider the vodafone 3g "broadband" service. I know someone with one and they are just about contnet with their average 150K downstream connection. Not to mention constant connection drops.

I haven't looked into NTL, as they didn't offer a service in my old area, but I will look into it. Sorry for the noOb question , but where can I find this list of proposed exchanges which might recieve an upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

How can someone find out how near their house is to the nearest exchange, if the exchange is BB enabled and if their line is split?

Naikon wrote: »
    I am awaiting digiwebs confirmation of the metro service, and if dsl is an option sometime in the future.
    Not a chance I would even consider the vodafone 3g "broadband" service. I know someone with one and they are just about contnet with their average 150K downstream connection. Not to mention constant connection drops.

I haven't looked into NTL, as they didn't offer a service in my old area, but I will look into it. Sorry for the noOb question , but where can I find this list of proposed exchanges which might recieve an upgrade?
    There's a list on this page of that thread -- should be a few before that page as well. Fairly sure there was another thread as well that listed exchanges though.

Firetrap wrote: »
    How can someone find out how near their house is to the nearest exchange, if the exchange is BB enabled and if their line is split?
    • Distance: find out your exchange by entering your number into a site that tells you what exchange you're connect to (Smart Telecom) and then find out where the little outhouse of an exchange is. Realistically, cable wouldn't be coming to your home as the crow flies, so you'd probably be more accurate to measure using your car (or a trundle wheel :))
    • Enabled: do line tests repeatedly -- the providers' sites can usually tell you. If you've only had your landline a short while, you'll most likely turn up as a fail for DSL
    • Split line: make a dial-up connection (eircom's number is 1892150150) and note the speed. It should be around the 40 kbps mark unless you're on a split line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

ethernet wrote: »
    There's a list on this page of that thread -- should be a few before that page as well. Fairly sure there was another thread as well that listed exchanges though.

Thanks for the link.
    I know some people living in that area, and apparently dsl is an option.
    This may be just an issue with an old line that has not been upgraded in terms of new copper:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Naikon wrote: »
    Thanks for the link.
    I know some people living in that area, and apparently dsl is an option.
    This may be just an issue with an old line that has not been upgraded in terms of new copper:pac:
    New/old copper isn't an issue because Eircom haven't changed any copper in years, unless there is a serious voice issue on it, it will never be changed. The copper thats going to your house will either work or it won't, but like has been said you will sometimes have to wait for up to a month before the line will pass the test.

Advertisement