Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OH GOD! How do I improve ping with 3 broadband??

Options
  • 29-03-2008 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭

can I adjust any settings in my mobile 3 braoadband usb service to have a happier time playing battelfield online without getting kicked all the time for being the slow dumbo?? any tips appreciated greatly:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You need a different provider I'd say if you want to reduce ping times. You should get fixed wireless, cable or a phone line service if you want good ping times.

Its because of the technology in use most of the time so you can't get it down by yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

landline before and the reduction in quality is shocking...I reckon I have to takeup a landline service..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You're trying to play online games with 3 mobile broadband - are you insane :o Just take a look at the top threads on this forum, the 3 broadband problems mega-thread.

Unless you get an extraordinarly good wireless provider you'll need a wired internet connection to play games online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

You're never going to be able to play a fps with any degree of success with any of the mobile broadbands.

This is coming up increasingly on the Xbox/Playstation/Nintendo forums.

I think a sticky is in order of the types of bb suitable for gaming (at least in theory what connection you should want first etc...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I hear the Digiweb Mobile (FLASH OFDM) trial in Finglas can get pings as low as 30ms. Not bad for a wireless tech and way better than HSDPAs 100-odd.

That's technically true but that is only available in limited areas so its not very mobile and personally I still wouldn't trust it because I've seen ping results from users of this that are over 100ms and you just don't want that if playing online.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb Mobile is typically about a x4 better "experience" than HSDPA, but does seem to get higher pings ( about 150ms) on very poor signal. I've seen HSDPA on my own modem between 170ms and 1000ms+, never better.

Like HSDPA, most users of Digiweb mobile seem to be using it as a fixed replacement for Dialup. I imagine when the national rollout starts there will be some fanfare.

Mobile or Nomadic (Clearwire or IBB ripwave) is a good replacement for dialup or even ISDN but never meant to be a replacement for FIXED broadband (Cable, Metro, Fibre, DSL or Outdoor Fixed Wireless Generally).

Mobile WiMax is no better either than existing Mobile solutions, the Fixed WiMax is a fine DSL alternative. Some fixed Wireless in Ireland is already Fixed WiMax.

By their nature Mobile systems have poor user aerials, no control over location, limited User TX power and no control over how many users might want to use a sector/cell/mast. (Fixed Wireless should refuse addition sales in a full subscribed location). Thus Mobile solutions will always be a variable quality.

Pings even on a sub 20ms fixed Broadband system can be 200ms+ depending on route and location of Server. Over 100ms is not unusual to servers outside Ireland, or networks not peered directly on INEX.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Vodafone HSUPA in the UK looks promising, apparently pings around ~100ms to Google uk.
    Might try it out soon.

100ms is quite playable in a FPS if it doesn't jump about too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Really you need pings below 70 to play fps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

anything up to 200ms is acceptable though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

not if you want to hit something....

Advertisement