Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach House & Burnaby

Options
  • 29-03-2008 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Beach House
    Recently moved to Greystones from Wicklow Town and have to say that I love the area and general atmosphere in the town. But the place is starved of a decent pub. Have been to all 3 and to be honest I loved Danns bar...the unassuming comfort of it, trad music and fires, was great. The Beach house was closed for renovations when I moved and I was really looking forward to it. The result is so disappointing though, not the decor, not the staff...the attitude. I was aware of the "Rules" from friends and it is ridiculous, have we decided to forego common sense in the mist of all this madness! I went into the BH on my own on Thursday nite for a quiet pint. However as I walked in the door, 2 staff checked me from head to toe to ensure I "conformed" to the rules. Lovely pint, decent enviroment but I felt awkward. The night I moved to Charlesland I went to the BH (Sports Bar)...the place was rundown, there were a few old men at the counter, the pint was good and the girl behind the bar leaned on the counter and chatted to the locals...I thought oh yeah, I liked it....has this now been banished?
    On The Burnaby my mates came to visit me and I decided to take them for some grub in the burnaby, we had put some bets on in the bookies and decided to have some lunch and a drink, my friends girlfriend joined us and we took our seat. Nobody was watching the telly so I asked the barman would he mind switching to channel 4 so I could watch the race...he refused, I thought he misheard my request but he blankly refused again. He advised the telly on the other side of the pub was for racing. I explained that we were eating as the food arrived to our table. He was unmoved and refused to put the racing on. We paid up and left (I ain't been back) Shocking people management that is hard to believe. Nearly bettered the day that the waitress refused to let us even look at the menu because we were sitting in the wrong section (Ireland were playing France, place was packed but we were not allowed eat where we sat).

I'll be heading to Delany for a pint I think, Woodlawn is a lovely atmosphere, but its a niche market and not everyones cuppa (Excellent staff) Not sure what the Burnaby & BH are going for but the rules are ridiculous and fly in the face of peoples inteligence. Not sure what crowd they want but I am 24, dont wear caps, but have a hooded jumper or two. I work for one of the largest companies in Ireland and own my own home, I don't consider myself an undesirable but I live in the one town in Ireland where I could possibly be unable to get a pint. Having worked in the hospitality industry for many years and learned from some excellent publicans...the proprietors of the Burnaby and BH are welcome to there numbers if they would like advice on running a successful pub...believe me I have seen the good, the bad, but these 2 pubs are the ugly!mad.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Duplicate of the post in the other thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement