Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE Hall Of Fame

• 29-03-2008 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

The Hall of Fame is live on WWE.com at 11:30pm our time tonight. Rocky Johnson, Peter Maivia, Mae Young and Ric Flair will be inducted on the tv show, so that means that Gordon Solie, The Briscos and Eddie Graham will be inducted on the internet broadcast

Probably won't be as entertaining as last year's one was, as RVD, Bobby Heenan and Mr Fuji were all very good. Still might be worth watching

The tv version will be shown over here during the day tomorrow. I'm not sure of the times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Sky Sports are showing the Hall of Fame at 5.30 tomorrow. I'm going to miss the first half because of work, but I should be home in time to see the Flair induction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

Minto wrote: »
    Sky Sports are showing the Hall of Fame at 5.30 tomorrow. I'm going to miss the first half because of work, but I should be home in time to see the Flair induction.

Sunday 30th March on Sky Sports 3 at 8am
    Repeated on Sky Sports Xtra at Midday & Sky Sports 2 at 5.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Wouldnt trust anything the sky sports menu says, seems every time i spot a Wwe programme and think "sweet ill watch this" switch it on and its feckin tennis, golf or boxing, or intermediate chess!!

Happened this afternoon again.
    Wrestlemania preview due to come on, flicked on the channel..... Friday Night Boxing!!! GRRRR :mad::mad:

I'd imagine Wwe programes get some of the highest viewers for sky but sometimes it seems they treat it like an afterthought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

TOPDAWG wrote: »
    Wouldnt trust anything the sky sports menu says, seems every time i spot a Wwe programme and think "sweet ill watch this" switch it on and its feckin tennis, golf or boxing, or intermediate chess!!

Happened this afternoon again.
    Wrestlemania preview due to come on, flicked on the channel..... Friday Night Boxing!!! GRRRR :mad::mad:

I'd imagine Wwe programes get some of the highest viewers for sky but sometimes it seems they treat it like an afterthought.

Well i have to agree with you there,series link is another thing that goes haywire on wwe programming a lot.

IF they are showing something live before a programme that just happens to be wwe then you cant blame sky for staying with the live programme.
    Overall i think sky need to make set times for wwe programme,apart from raw(which is live) its pot luck when ecw or smackdowns on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

It starts at 12:30am over here

• Advertisement

Is the live stream on at 11:30 pm or 12:30 am???

Is the live stream on at 11:30 pm or 12:30 am???

7:30 ET which is 5 hours behind us.Ive hear alot of people mentioning that it was 11:30 but it says 7:30 ET on WWE.com

edit:I just realised that their clocks went ahead by an hour a few weeks ago and so it should have started at 11:30.nothing yet though.....
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Its 4 until the clocks officially go back at 2 A.M. That means the stream should be at 11:30

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

No no no, were 4 hours ahead of them till 2am (clocks go forward tonight). it was due to start at 11.30pm. But they did say approx. so we just got to wait.

EDIT. feck Machismo got there before me.

It says "approximately 7:30" so its possible just running a little late

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I get an error when trying to open it.

edit: now it is a still image

I just have a picture saying hall of fame Tonight 7.30 etc.

I just have a picture saying hall of fame Tonight 7.30 etc.

same
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Apparently the hold up is The Rock. They are taping his bit for television. Sounds hillarious.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=30098&p=1

It changed to coming soon.

Should be any minute now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Rocky Johnson finished his speech a while ago, don't know what the hold up is now

Finally

finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its about damn time.

• Advertisement

the stream is slow!!!!!!!!!

Slow? Running fine for me but PQ is ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

fatal wrote: »
    the stream is slow!!!!!!!!!

http://wrestlingas.com/pro_wrestling_streams.html

Try this link in Internet Explorer.

laaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggggggggg

JBL is funny. Some great lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

laaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggggggggg

that link i posted is working fine for me. Do you have anything else downloading at the same time while you are watching the stream?

http://wrestlingas.com/pro_wrestling_streams.html

Try this link in Internet Explorer.

thanks a mill

haha JBL is hilarious

Anyone know a stream for the USA Network?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

That's it for the wwe.com broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

To cheer you the HOF on the Wrestlemania 24 dvd will be unedited.

http://live-wwe.tk/ at 4am for the USA Network feed apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Just watched the hour long show on Sky. It is must see tv for any wrestling fan. Here's some of my random thoughts:

- Ric Flair is a great man. His speech was edited alot obviously but you only needed to see a second of his speech to see how emotional this week has been for him.

- Mentioning his ex-wives was a very classy thing to do.

- When Steve Austin has tears in his eyes, you know it's special.

- The Rock had an interesting night. First off, I thought he was great. I loved some of his comments especially after seeing The Marine 2 days ago! Apparently, Dean Malenko was giving him "evils" during the speech. 1 or 2 people mightn't have been happy either.

- John Cena is not the Rock. It's hard to explain but that's the thought I had when I watched them conversing during the Hall of Fame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Just finished watching the version on SKY Sports.

They only showed the Rock inducting his father, and the Rocks Mom inducting the High Chief, and HHH inducting Ric Flair.

The Rock was excellent....as funny as ever....god how he is missed in the WWE. PLEASE COME BACK ROCK!!!!!!!

As for Flair, a class speach. Especially mentioning his ex-wives. You can see a lot of emotion with the other wrestlers, and see how much he is loved.

On a side note, anyone notice the guy with the Irish flag and scarf wrapped around him in the audience??? Lucky B**tard!!!!!! I think it was after the Rocks segment, when they panned to the audience.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Mae Youngs induction last night was great.

The theme for the night really seemed to be "we're wrestlers and we like to drink a lot!". I don't know if it's always like that but I noticed it a lot more this year

Cena's speech at the end was awesome.As I expected though,flair's speech was the highlight of the night.Im gonna miss him:(:(:(:(:(
    Does anyone know how long flair's actual speech was?

Cena made a speech?

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Cena made a speech?

A 5 minute one at the very end of the wwe.com broadcast
    here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcq4H9_G9g&feature=PlayList&p=2EF7D0BC5B9BC530&index=13

Does anyone know how long flair's actual speech was?

I've heard estimates ranging from 60-90 minutes (including Triple H speech). I have a feeling it could get edited on the Hall of Fame dvd. It would be a cool thing to include on his new dvd coming out though.

A 5 minute one at the very end of the wwe.com broadcast
    here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcq4H9_G9g&feature=PlayList&p=2EF7D0BC5B9BC530&index=13

I didn't see it. The feed cut out for me after Eddie Graham's son walked off

I cant wait to get my hands on the WM24 dvd.Surely they will have the full uneditted version of the HOF on it.

Pwinsider says that flair had to rush the end of his speech :
    The fans were very upset at the constant calls for Flair to wrap up, and at one point turned their wrath towards Triple H, who helplessly responded with a "It's not my call" expression.
    It must have been quite long like Vince said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I wonder if JBL's speech was seen by anyone beforehand.

amacachi wrote: »
    I wonder if JBL's speech was seen by anyone beforehand.

why?It was quite funny..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Exactly, suprised he was allowed to be so funny.

Notes from the observer site:
    Hall of Fame notes

Some notes from the Hall of Fame:

Even with guys being asked to keep it short besides Dwayne Johnson and Ric Flair, it went 4 1/2 hours and Flair wasn't over until 11:30 p.m., well into the USA Network special. They wanted to be done long before the 11 p.m. air time.

They wanted to start earlier but there was a traffic jam.

Johnson and his family went 90 minutes. The crowd loved him. He was gracious to everyone. He talked about loving wrestling, growing up in wrestling, he made a joke about them sending prisoners a copy of "The Marine" as torturous punishment to get a jibe in on John Cena, but then joked that he made "Doom." He talked about having never wrestled Cena or Shawn Michaels (who he praised) in a major match situation and put both of them over strong. He looked at Steve Austin and asked him if he'd like to do one more mach and Austin smiled and gave the indication he would. The idea was about 30 minutes as he started at 7 p.m. and they would start the Internet broadcast at 7:30 p.m., keeping him off for the television show.

Later, JBL, Dusty Rhodes and HHH all made cracks about how long Johnson went. HHH was booed momentarily when he tried to make a remark about Johnson, because Johnson was so over with the crowd, saying something about all the Rock fans, "I mean Dwayne fans," which saw the crowd start to turn on him until he smirked, "Come on, I love the guy."

Pat Patterson inducted Mae Young, which must have been a last minute change since at the press conference a few hours before the show they announced it would be Stephanie, and Mae herself was told it was Stephanie.

JBL gave a short speech about the Briscos. He didn't read from notes and was said to be unbelievably funny. Jack gave a short acceptance and Jerry went on a little longer.

Besides the two big ones, most of the speeches were kept short. It was clear Jim Ross was unhappy about having so little time to induct Gordon Solie. He praised Solie as the greatest wrestling announcer ever, which is something at times when fans have told him he (Ross) was the greatest announcer ever, he has often responded, "That's because you never heard Gordon Solie." It was said there were catcalls at one of Solie's family members, obviously not a professional speaker, chanting "We can't hear you."

Mike Graham, accepting for Eddie, brought out a framed poster of an early 60s NWA Board of Directors meeting with many of the legendary promoters, and said he was donating it to the WWE.

John Cena was booed vociferously as he went to give a speech before HHH. While most fans were respectful there were enough that weren't that it put a major damper on the evening at times. Most of the comments we got included people who felt they needed to do something about fan behavior. Cena, who never gets flustered, seemed to have a feeling of "This isn't the time" when fans chanted "You can't wrestle" at him. He did get a lot of cheers when he was done because he gave a good speech.

Flair went on forever, but all I heard was people were wanting him to stay out there until 2 a.m. On three separate occasions HHH told him to wrap it up, and finally HHH was insistent and Flair rushed to the finish. The production people must have been going nuts as they were on the air on USA and Flair, who was supposed to be the focus of the show, still kept going and it needed to be edited before being put on television. He praised many of the current wrestlers, who were in tears. He said to Big Show that if he got his head together he could own the business. Show was crying as Flair put him over. He put over the office staff, mentioning tons of people by name including the people who do make-up, all the way to the top people. He made a remark to the fans saying Cena could wrestle and that Cena would never go off to Hollywood. He said he was tired of hearing people call Hulk Hogan the greatest wrestler of all-time, saying the biggest star in the history of the business was sitting in the room and said it was Austin. Flair felt indebted to Austin for coming up with his angle, but also for Austin to have publicly put Flair over as the greatest champion and greatest performer ever in so much recent media work. He went through the story of his career from his training with Verne Gagne, and even praised his ex-wives, for enduring with him. Everyone was respectful to him and reports we got was that nobody wanted to see it end, and were hoping after the confetti was thrown to end it, that Flair would come back out and finish his speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

notes from www.rajah.com
    Here are some comments off the top of my head.

*The experiment of holding the Hall of Fame event in a large sports arena was not entirely successful. There were substantial sound problems at the beginning of the show to the point that even straining my ears with everyone around me being dead silent I couldn't make out almost anything being said. Thousands of people were almost continuously interrupting The Rock's speech with chants of "TURN THE MIC UP!" and "WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!" and when they finally adjusted the sound to fill more than the first few sections they called "PLEASE START OVER!" The Rock, obligingly, did and that's why the webcast was delayed. The larger arena also seemed to present an unlikely problem in that it drew a very wide, general wrestling audience, many of whom seemingly had no idea who The Brisco Brothers, "The High Chief" Peter Maivia or Rocky Johnson were and had no interest in finding out. The people around me kept complaining about how horribly boring the ceremony was and several either intentionally or unintentionally put their head down and took a nap. Larger and larger sections of the crowd would empty into the concession and souvenir stands area every time there was a break, just wanting to get away. Even Flair's speech was too long and taxing for most people despite being the most emotional I've ever heard.

*My jaw literally went slack with shock when Ric Flair very pointedly spoke warmly of Chris Benoit in talking about the Four Horsemen. It went even slacker when the audience roared with approval in one of the biggest pops of the night. I really didn't know how to feel about that. I understood why it was cathartic. I also know that my immediate reaction was to be horrified that people were giving Benoit a huge ovation. It was controversial to say the least, it was not subtle, it was likely completely and unapproved and I only wish I'd thought to see how the McMahons reacted in the front row at the time.

*Flair's speech went on for what must have been an hour or more until Triple H told him he had to finish up, beginning with a long, long list of thank yous to behind the scenes people that only Flair could have gotten away with, then for most of it talking about each of his greatest opponents in chronological order beginning with Ken Patera and going up through Shawn Michaels. He briefly mentioned Sting, which was very popular. He made The Big Show bawl when he said he was the best big man who had ever wrestled (right after talking about traveling with Andre the Giant.) He finally said who his greatest opponent was..... Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. Ricky, who was sitting with Arn Anderson, took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. He told a story near the end about blowing a spot with The Undertaker in their Wrestlemania match, and having The Undertaker set it right back up for him and shout in his ear "You think you can make it this time, kid?"

*Ric Flair made two cracks at The Rock's expense, saying "The Rock - Oh, I forgot. We're supposed to refer to him as Dwayne now" and "John Cena - and by the way, you can bet that he won't leave wrestling to start making movies-"

*The crowd seemed to be trying very hard to hate The Rock but not succeeding. He received a mixed pop when he came out and was met with a lot of people shouting that he sold out, but then he would use one of his classic wrestling catch phrases and the same people would blow the roof off of the place cheering for him. He used all of the old standards - "FINALLY The Rock has come BACK to Orlando," "If you smell-a-lell-a-lell what The ROCK is cook'n," "It doesn't MATTER what you think," etc. He even essentially cut a promo talking smack about half a dozen of the newer wrestlers and got into a small back and forth with Santino Marella. He teased matches with the three people he "most wants a match against," John Cena, Rey Mysterio and Shawn Michaels, as well as a Stone Cold-Rock IV Wrestlemania confrontation, the suggestion of each of which drove the crowd into further frenzies. I think everyone was expecting Dwayne Johnson to show up and when they got The Rock instead they were overjoyed.

*Mae Young was inducted by Pat Patterson, not Stephenie McMahon.

*John Cena came out to largely negative heat and promoted Wrestlemania, talking about how it was the Hall of Famers who paved the way for tomorrow night. They also ran several of the Wish You Were here promos with Mae Young tongue kissing a supposed drowning victim and Carlito taking Maria out to dinner.

*It was interesting who among the crowd broke character and who didn't. Umaga was barely recognizable in a suit, which surely his character would have ripped off with Tazmanian Devil-like efficiency in a matter of seconds. Snitskey was in a suit. But MVP was still wearing a dew rag. Rey Mysterio wore his mask with a suit. Mick Foley wore this 1970s style big brown coat that looked appropriately mangy but out of place. Ashley looked very elegant despite her pink hair. The Undertaker did not seem to be present, perhaps because formal dress would have been a violation of his contract.

*Matt Hardy was sitting with Ashley, not Maria (as one reporter had commented that he and Maria seemed to be a couple.)

*Stone Cold Steve Austin and John Cena sat side by side in the front row along with Shane, his wife, Stephenie and Linda. Vince made a very brief appearance walking out from behind a curtain and along the back of the room but was for the most invisible.

It occurs to me I should also mention as a precautionary tale for those attending tomorrow night that the taxi situation was an unqualified disaster. There were hundreds of people gathered in front of the Marriott waiting for taxis. I walked further into downtown Orlando trying to avoid the mob and a couple of miles away I was still running up against people holding Hall of Fame programs who were trying to flag down the same taxis I was. None of the taxis were stopping. I walked until I had blisters on my feet and when I finally caught a taxi it seemed almost like random chance, as though I just as easily could have kept looking for several more hours. The whole time I was going back to the hotel the radio was filled with the voice of a frantic dispatcher calling all cars to go get those people. Since Wrestlemania tomorrow night should have seven times as many people in attendance as the Hall of Fame there is some cause for concern that the situation could be significantly worse. There might literally be no way out of downtown tomorrow night for people who don't have cars.

Im not really sure that popping for benoit was the right thing to do

Shin

shinzon wrote: »
    notes from www.rajah.com

Im not really sure that popping for benoit was the right thing to do

Shin

Wrestling is strange. Someone who killed his family gets a pop and a guy that goes and makes movies (The Rock) gets booed because he "sold out".

I also get the impression there's an element of resentment towards Rock amongst wrestlers too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement