Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a game

• 29-03-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭

Right, I've had it with what I've got and I need some recommendations. I'm playing Assasins Creed with a little bit of Forza 2 thrown in but I'm bored of them now at this stage.

I want an excellent single player game. I don't do multiplayer. Games I've loved so far were Splinter Cell Double Agent, COD3 (have 4 for PC) and The Darkness. I'm not really into Halo.

Is there anything with a decent storyline/single player out atm?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Mass Effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Bioshock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Gears of War imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Elessar

feylya wrote: »
    Mass Effect

Hmm, was looking at this. Is it really deep? I'm more of a casual gamer, is it suited more to dedicated RPG fans?

I have Bioshock (don't like it) and completed GOW (excellent).

Thanks for suggestions so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

Mass Effect is more of a casual RPG IMO man, it's a good mix of RPG and 3rd person shoot em up.

RPG elements can be ignored if you want and you'll have to complete very few central story parts. Good replay value too.

TBH the best single player game, if your disregarding MP completely is COD4, you might think it's a short story when you play on the easy / normal settings but a good challenge on hardened and frustratingly difficult on veteran.

Very good story and a good mix of run and gun and stealthy levels...with a few very original parts (Mmmm Gunship! ... BRING THE RAIN!!!)

Lego Star wars is a quite fun game thats devilishly addictive too. (Nearly..v.nearly my favourite game...even for a non S W fan!)

All the above are fairly reasonable in the 2nd hand bins too...possibly with exception to COD4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

DMC4 is great :D

If you were expecting (read wanting) Assassin's Creed to have combos in the fighting then DMC4 is probably for you.

Stylish Combo's and to emphasize that, you get a meter up during a combo telling you how stylish you are being. You can avoid attacks stylishly too.

Overall, the game play in DMC4 is incredibly fun and there is no multiplayer. The main problem the game has is reuse of textures. If your looking for something that you will play over and over or for something that doesn't make you back through the entire game once you reach the last part they felt like creating then it might not be the game for you.

Zero Punctuation review for it is quite good but a little inaccurate. Mostly about the board game thing which is easily avoided if you spot the sequence to the dice spin. DMC4 is probably another frustratingly difficult game on the hardest difficulty level (read, rape you difficulty level if its as hard as the first). I've not played it on that level yet because well I still have games I've not put in my 360.

The Orange Box is definitely the must have single player game if you don't already have it. HL2, HL2 EP1, HL EP2 and Portal are all games that individually I would give at least 9/10 to and then you have Team Fortress multi player if you feel like it which is also great. A must own for any 360 owner and anyone that doesn't get it should be shot IMHO. This is also pretty much the only game on 360 that has gotten a positive Zero Punctuation review.

Advertisement