Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cyclocross tyres on roadbike?

Options
  • 29-03-2008 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hey,

Was thinking about getting a cyclocross bike but they seem to be hundreds of euros pricier then normal road bikes.They seem to be perfect for the roads here

Can anybody tell me can you put cyclocross tyres on a road bike,without too much difficulty?

Danke schon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

depends on the bike really, some would have the space to take the tyres (usually 28 or 32?). others you would not have a hope in hell, the clearance is too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

where are you planning to use them? even if you can get them between the stays, cyclocross tyres are designed for grip on muck and grass and stuff so their traction on tarmac probably wouldn't be as good as slicks of similar width.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

THanks for the replies.I had a feeling it might be a problem.I was just thinking that it would be cool to be able to go offroad,down the beaten track whenever you wanted..which alot of the roads feel like here anyway:p

Has anybody owned a kona jake before?

http://www.realcycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s199p1477&z=1101

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 BlackMirror

triv88 wrote: »
    Hey,

Was thinking about getting a cyclocross bike but they seem to be hundreds of euros pricier then normal road bikes.They seem to be perfect for the roads here

Can anybody tell me can you put cyclocross tyres on a road bike,without too much difficulty?

Danke schon

Some road bikes have the clearance for fatter tires, some don't. If you get an old road bike that took 27" rims, replace those with a 700c wheelset, the tires should fit. Provided, of course, that the brake reach works out. Some bikes will, some wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

FWIW, my Giant FCR came with 28c tires, and plenty of clearance. It might be an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Better off with cantilever brakes on the frame though. Mud will really get stuck between the tyre and a set of road brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I like the idea of a cyclocros bike as well.
    I have an Edinburgh Cycles bike which works both on and off road. However since off roading is very seperat from on roading (you don't do both in the same cycle) I was just thinking of buying a 2nd hand road bike.

True- cyclocross bikes are at premium prices...
    I like the idea of brakes on the horizontal handlebars though...

Advertisement