Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought my first road bike - Let the adventures begin!

Options
  • 29-03-2008 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭

Got a Trek 1.2.

http://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bikes/2008/road/1_series/12e/

Cycled it home from town there and it's very nice. Extremely light, comfy saddle and looks great which was my main interest in the bike, that and the fact that it was entry level so cheap. :)

Looking forward to the long cycles and getting my fitness back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

Shes a looker all right,fair ball to her:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Trek bikes always look pretty good... I just like how in the specs it's says the rear derailleur is Sora, and in the picture, it has tiagra on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Nice bike mate if shes anything like my Trek 1200 u will be very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Trek bikes always look pretty good... I just like how in the specs it's says the rear derailleur is Sora, and in the picture, it has tiagra on it :)

It's a Sora on my bike anyway. :)

peterk19 wrote: »
    Nice bike mate if shes anything like my Trek 1200 u will be very happy

Great to hear. I've read a good few great reviews about my 1.2 anyway.

The only thing i'm not happy about is my fitness. Looking forward to building up to being able to do long cycles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

accensi0n wrote: »
    Great to hear. I've read a good few great reviews about my 1.2 anyway.

The only thing i'm not happy about is my fitness. Looking forward to building up to being able to do long cycles.

ah the fitness will come in time just dont rush it, it will take a while for your muscles to get used to long cycles so just build it up over time i only started about a year ago and ive gone from commuting to town (about 14km) to beeing able to go out for 3-4 hours without stopping for anything but traffic lights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Was that you I saw in Blackrock about 4ish, blue shorts? I was in a car but the bike caught my eye. Lovely looking bike. The rider seemed a bit out of puff!!

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Was that you I saw in Blackrock about 4ish, blue shorts? I was in a car but the bike caught my eye. Lovely looking bike. The rider seemed a bit out of puff!!

If that's directed at me then nope, wasn't me. :)

Have a couple of issues with the build of my bike actually. Handle bars aren't aligned correctly and the front derailleur touches the chain when on the front smallest gear and back smallest gear. Will have to bring it back to the shop for an adjustment.

Besides from that its been great. Went for an hour cycle earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What did you pay for the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

accensi0n wrote: »
    ...and the front derailleur touches the chain when on the front smallest gear and back smallest gear.

that's not unusual. Most people avoid that gear combination. With some groupsets you can push your front derailleur slightly to the left/right (depending on original position) so that it moves the chain slightly, but won't push it on to the next ring. This helps avoid chain rub. Generally the idea is to keep the chain as straight as possible. You should have enough gears to put the chain on the big front ring and move up to a larger cog in the rear cassette and still maintain the same ratio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Best of luck with the bike. Hopefully I'll have one myself in the next couple of weeks

Advertisement