Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any poker players out there?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

whats the story with pokersoc next year anyway? iv seen a few posters around. has butler changed his mind on the gambling issue or whats the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭lemur option

GAMESOC POKER ROUND 2.

seeing as a few people have said that they were interested but couldn't make last week, and carl has been at me to run another game so he can claim his prize, there will be a second gamesoc poker tournament. (the minstrels rejoiced)

Unfortunately I can't be there this week as I have to go to a meeting, but Darwin has promised me that he'll run a fair game based pretty much on the template of last weeks, and that he'll try his best not to win.

so what this all boils down to is.

thursday (17/4/08) 6PM
    UCD POKER round 2.
    student centre meeting rooms (unconfirmed as of yet hopefully 1+2)
    €5 entry, €1 re-buys for first hour.
    win your money back off Darwin.

As a side note to this I'm going to try get in contact with the people who are planning on starting pokersoc back up again and I'll see if I can get them to send a representative up to us to tell us what the story is.

ok. I have recieved word that auditor of the up-and-coming pokersoc will be joining us this thursday. 6PM in meeting room 3. Come along if you want to talk to him or whatever and then sit down and play a few hands.

hey guys. Here are the results of UCD gamesoc's poker round 2.

1st place- Emmet Hadfield
    2nd place- Fergus O Higgins

the prize pool was 74e and was split 70/30

I'm sorry for my absence guys I hear that it all went well, and I will be having a few words with darwin about re-buy policys and players to tables ratios.
    Ah well hope everyone enjoyed. Unfortunately that concludes out extensive attempt to cater for poker this year. We'll see how next year goes.
    thanks and good luck in exams everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Darwin.

Sorry about the big table but there wasn't enough room in meeting room 3 for two seperate tables so I didn't really have much choice. And yeah, our re-buy policy needs some serious revision before next time :P

What a boring first post.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

who's Auditor of the new poker soc? If they showed up that is

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

After last night, +1 about the rebuys / add-ons. If you play in a tournament, rebuys and add-ons are strictly controlled, and managing a short stack is a useful skill to learn... :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Darwin.

bigslick wrote: »
    who's Auditor of the new poker soc? If they showed up that is

I don't think he showed up. If he did, he was out of the game pretty early :D

bnt wrote: »
    After last night, +1 about the rebuys / add-ons. If you play in a tournament, rebuys and add-ons are strictly controlled, and managing a short stack is a useful skill to learn... :pac:

yeah as I said sorry bout that. It was better last week. Darwin just has difficulty saying no. It's been sorted though and if we ever re-attempt poker we'll have a stricter regime don't worry about it.

The guy who contacted me was a guy called Kealan Walters. I don't think he showed up and that may be my fault I sent him a link to this page but I'm not sure if he was certain about the time/place or whatever. ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

yeah as I said sorry bout that. It was better last week. Darwin just has difficulty saying no. It's been sorted though and if we ever re-attempt poker we'll have a stricter regime don't worry about it.

If you are going to have a game, and want it to get any way popular, then you must have the rules not only made, but listed and written out so everyone can see them, and also someone who ISNT playing to enforce them, preferrably someone with experience.

Also €5 entry with €1 rebuys seems silly as there is too much value in rebuying to not affect the game. make it €5 rebuys, always the same as the original buy in, imo.

Try to keep theresa lwaysone involved as well as ghe has considerable experience in the game and would be very useful for you. There were 100+ regularly playing pokersoc games when i was in first year, and one of those was 13th in the Irish Open this year for €24,000 and cashed in the WSOP Main event too. Its a great fun place to start but it must be doen correctly.

• Advertisement

one of those was 13th in the Irish Open this year for €24,000 and cashed in the WSOP Main event too.

Ah good old Chubbs :D

News on this? UCD Pokersoc that is

Visit C&E Fresher's stand tomorrow for news of their partnership with Boylepoker.

Student benefits include an IPO seat Freeroll, and potentially a Rake Race competition to win your rake back!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I think gamesoc are running poker again this year too. You should go poke them and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

If you get pokersoc unregistered as an official society and run it as a private affair, I don't think thay can stop you from using money. You might have to run it in the student accomodation, but as long as the college isn't sponsoring or condoning it, I don't see what power they have to stop you. It would mean giving up your funding and your place at the fresher's stand though. <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

So who is running the new Pokersoc ???
    I would very much like to be part of the soc if we got some decent experienced players involved- there must be a few left with ties to the old Pokersoc in its glory days. Its a shame that poker in UCD has declined in the last few years. Gamesoc, I fully support your intentions to resurect poker in UCD but if you want to get a Society going that can rival say; the excellent DIT Pokersoc, you need to get in touch with the serious players in UCD and get them on board.

I was involved within the poker soc and always attended their events. I would defo be on board to help out anyway i can.

Perhaps you could contact the members of the former pokersoc(those still around)?
    Get them interested, or even any decent players you might know who go to UCD.
    I recognise your name from the Poker forums so I'm assuming some of the other regulars are former Pokersoc members. Getting yourself and other boardsies in would be a big boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I am pretty sure there was a guy from UCD who finished 9th or 8th in the world series of poker. I cant remember his name though.

I am pretty sure there was a guy from UCD who finished 9th or 8th in the world series of poker. I cant remember his name though.

Yeah John O'Shea was his name. He finished 5th in the $2,500 no limit event at the wsop 2008. He used to play a good bit at the pokersoc.

Another was Andrew Grimason who came 466th in wsop main event 2007 and 24th in last years Irish open.

Were some good players and good times had

• Advertisement

Boylepoker Fresher’s Week – IPO Freeroll

Online at Boylepoker Thurs 25th Sept at 7.00pm

1 seat to the IPO Guaranteed

&

1 additional seat for every 20 players registered

To play, download the poker software from www.Boylepoker.com and register with the Bonus Code C&E08.

This tournament is password protected for C&E members only. The Password is "UCDIPO"

Boylepoker Fresher’s Week – IPO Freeroll

Online at Boylepoker Thurs 25th Sept at 7.00pm

1 seat to the IPO Guaranteed

&

1 additional seat for every 20 players registered

To play, download the poker software from www.Boylepoker.com and register with the Bonus Code C&E08.

This tournament is password protected for C&E members only. The Password is "UCDIPO"

What about already existing boyle account holders?

How did the BoylePoker UCD tourney go?

Anybody here play?

i played it, one of the guys in my course won it.

2 seats up for grabs. I came 4th, and the 2nd and 3rd guys weren't UCD students, so I don't know if they can take the prize. They were from an online poker forum that nabbed the password.

I'll be trying to organise more tournaments like this with Boyles soon.

Advertisement