Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre for Focus Style

Options
  • 29-03-2008 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭

My work car is a 1.6 Focus Style TDCi. It doesn't have a spare tyre, just one of those mobility kits that allows you to inflate a flat tyre and is supposed to last long enough to get you to a garage.
    However I would like the peace of mind of having a spare tyre and I took a note of the tyres on the car to price them.
    They are Bridgestone's (205/55R16). I couldn't find anywhere online in Ireland that has them but tyresonline.net has them at £95 sterling.
    I am just wondering if anybody knows of somewhere I could buy this type of tyre more cheaply or else one that is suitable for my car?
    Preferably in the Cork/Greater Munster region.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You should check first to see whether a full sized tyre and wheel will actually fit in the space provided in the boot. My Focus C-Max which has the same tyre spec as yours has a space saver wheel, and the space for it in the boot certainly isn't big enough for a full sized tyre. I don't know whether you can source such wheels outside of the main dealers, but I wouldn't imagine they'd be too expensive either way, certainly cheaper than a 205/55R16 tyre, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭lukin

There's room alright, 25 inches and the tyre is an inch or two less than that in diameter.
    I've also noticed that there is no jack or wrench in the boot to actually change the tyre. That's OK as I have them from my previous car. The wrench fits the bolts on the tyre apart from one (see the bolt on the tyre in the pic at the very bottom).
    bolt_2294.png.xs.jpg
    It is circular and the wrench will not fit on it. Does it come off?

You also need to check whether the tyre well is deep enough. I've seen some instances where the tyre is too wide, and you then get an awkward 'lump' in the boot floor.

That's some kind of anti-theft security bolt. You should have got an adapter for it with the car .. try looking in the glovebox, otherwise you'll have to try and track one down. Seeing as they're Ford wheels you might have to go to a main dealer, but it might be worth trying a local motor factors first.

Alun wrote: »
    You also need to check whether the tyre well is deep enough. I've seen some instances where the tyre is too wide, and you then get an awkward 'lump' in the boot floor.

You are right, the well is not deep enough. It's 5 inches and the tyre is 8 inches wide!
    Not much point in buying a spare tyre so!

lukin wrote: »
    You are right, the well is not deep enough. It's 5 inches and the tyre is 8 inches wide!
    Not much point in buying a spare tyre so!
    Looks like it is meant for a spacesaver tyre then. I'm sure you'll be able to get one from a Ford main dealer.

EDIT: Just looked at my spacesaver spare (I've got a Focus C-Max with the same sized tyres as yours) and it's a T 125/85R16 99M if that's any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I've a 05 Focus TDCi and it also has one of those spacesaver wheels. You could try a scrap yard or www.traynors.co.uk for a second hand one. Though I would price a new one from a Ford dealer too, they may not be overly expensive.

Cheers, I presume a spacesaver tyre is not meant to be a replacement for a proper tyre? It's only supposed to be temporary?

Cheers, I presume a spacesaver tyre is not meant to be a replacement for a proper tyre? It's only supposed to be temporary?
    Yes, and only for speeds up to 80km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are designed to get you to a garage so you can have the puncture repaired. I think you are not supposed to go over 50mph or something like that on them.

bazz26 wrote: »
    They are designed to get you to a garage so you can have the puncture repaired. I think you are not supposed to go over 50mph or something like that on them.

Feck that! If you use the mobility kit to inflate the punctured one do you have to go slow as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

remember you need different styrofoam around the bigger wheel too. It is big in the boot however, remember that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭hebejebees

Feck that! If you use the mobility kit to inflate the punctured one do you have to go slow as well?

The mobility kit probably won't work 50% of the time..... the space saver will, 50mph isin't so bad to get you home, compare with taking the wheel off in the middle of the night to find somewhere to sell you a new tyre.
    Alternative is AA/RAC cover

Advertisement