Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident at Superquinn

• 29-03-2008 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Just wriggled my way through traffic on the ring road and noticed a lot of gardaí and fire brigade at Superquinn. It seemed more than a standard bump. I hope everyone involved is ok.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

From a brief look, a car crashed into the back of another car at the front enterance. I assume it skidded out in front of traffic or another car. They had to be taken out of the car by emergency services. I only noticed the Order of Malta ambulance at the scene (the Tramore unit attends emergency calls).

A similar accident happened at the side enterance where a car crashed into the side of the car moving out from the Kelly & Dollard complex. All occupants in that crash seemed to be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sully wrote: »
    From a brief look, a car crashed into the back of another car at the front enterance. I assume it skidded out in front of traffic or another car. They had to be taken out of the car by emergency services. I only noticed the Order of Malta ambulance at the scene (the Tramore unit attends emergency calls).

A similar accident happened at the side enterance where a car crashed into the side of the car moving out from the Kelly & Dollard complex. All occupants in that crash seemed to be okay.

Another one at Ardkeen stores! Whats going on tonight.. slippy roads or something!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bad driving looks like the cause of each accident at Superquinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Was another one yesterday just opposite the Peugeot garage by Ursline Court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

saw the one at superquinn happening.Was coming the other direction and an asshole in a jeep was bombing it in the road.could tell it was gonna happen seconds before it did.He plowed into one car and when he did could see the front windscreen and back one explode at same time.Looked fairly viscious at time.The guy in the jeep seemed grand but the lady in the passanger seat seemed in a bit of a bad way.No blood or anything like that but that don't mean she wasn't hurt badly.Hope she was alright cause I hate to see crashes like that happen.When you're stopped in traffic and some careless prick just doesn't pay attention and they're always the ones to walk away with out a scratch.
    Saw one on by Ardkeen too,didn't see it happening though but Garda were there with a guy who seemed to be responsible and he looked barely 18.
    Seems nearly every weekend see the same ****e around.People need to slow down and stay off their ****ing phones and keep their eyes on the road.Driving isn't the most complicated thing in the world to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Did you give a statement to the Gardaí Meatwad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Saw the one at superquinn happening too - doubt there was any shortage of witnesses to make statements as the area was very busy at the time, with lots of cars waiting to turn into superquinn and lots of people at the bus-stop opposite.
    Most of the occupants seemed ok at a glance - the driver of the BMW jeep was standing out talking on his phone and looked fine, as were the occupants of the car at the head of the accident, but the woman passenger in the car that was hit directly by the jeep seemed to be very shook up and had not been moved from the car until the emergency services arrived on the scene. I hope she's OK. My take on it (saw it happening as I was driving out from town direction, the accident happened about 50 yds away on the opposite side of the road coming towards town) was that it was the jeep driver that caused it - the other cars were stationary when he smacked into them.

Also saw the one at Ardkeen - another 3 car pileup, same as the one at Superquinn. It's getting to be commonplace to see accidents like that in the leadups to busy roundabouts, people too impatient to get out of the traffic queues and rearending an innocent party.

Seriously - IMO it's all down to careless driving, or being overly anxious to get where you want to go in a hurry - pulling out in front of cars on roundabouts as you can't be bothered to wait your turn and pull out safely,or driving up the arse of the car in front of you to stop other cars pulling out into the gap in front of you. All it takes is a second of distraction and the car in front stops and you don't see in time - smash.

have had it happen to me while I was stopped in traffic too - some a-hole not paying attention and writing off 3 cars and hurting people (8 in total, including 3 children) who were sitting patiently there in their cars, minding their own business. I could see it happening behind me but due to the queue and wearing a seatbelt (couldn't jump out quickly enough), I could do nothing to get out of the way of the cars being shunted towards me from behind except jam the brakes and handbrake on, brace myself and hope we didn't get too badly injured or shunt forward too far and hit the next car in the line.

the amount of near misses I've personally been involved in due to ignorant drivers not paying attention or worse - thinking they're more important and therefore everyone else needs to get out of their way while they take chances and skip queues or jump out in front of traffic that has the right of way :mad: I've always said it - it doesn't matter how carefully you drive, there's always some idiot who can come along and ruin things for you and there's oftentimes nothing you can do except brace for impact.At least if it happens when you're actually driving/moving, you can take measures to try and drive yourself "out of the way", whereas - in the case of the two accidents at superquinn and ardkeen - you are helpless to try to avoid the impact.

At the Superquinn roundabout last Friday some stupid tramp of a woman overtook me as I was coming off the exit onto the Tramore Road. I beeped and she drove on without a care in the world. She then came to the bypass and going around the roundabout there instead of staying in the left lane she cut right across into the right hand lane forcing another driver to jam on the breaks. People like that should be put off the road. Inconsiderate assholes.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    At the Superquinn roundabout last Friday some stupid tramp of a woman overtook me as I was coming off the exit onto the Tramore Road. I beeped and she drove on without a care in the world. She then came to the bypass and going around the roundabout there instead of staying in the left lane she cut right across into the right hand lane forcing another driver to jam on the breaks. People like that should be put off the road. Inconsiderate assholes.

Did you call the Gardai and report her driving behaviour?

I didn't get a number plate as she was 2 cars ahead of me by the time we got to the bypass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

You just reminded me of something funny that happened a few weeks ago, me and two friends were driving out from college and a guy cut across us on the same roundabout, we beeped the horn and the c*nt threw a rules of the road book out the window at us. It didn't hit the car, but twas bloody dangerous. Unfortunately, we were paralysed with laughter and didn't get his number plate.

Cheeky fecker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I'm surprised there hasn't been more accidents at Superquinn. I don't know how may times I see people turning right coming out from the Cork Road roundabout near the PC World entrance even though there is a sign saying no right turn into Superquinn. You then have people going inside those cars to pass, people coming out from World of Wonder, it creates a crazy situation. Same with people coming out that entrance, again they try to turn right even though they are not supposed to. they try to cross over one lane of traffic to get into the far off lane and then you have the traffic from World of Wonder, mind boggling stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

When people talk of flying cars, all I can think of is the carnage. When you see stuff like this happening all the time on 2D roads, imagine what 3D space would be like :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Kahless wrote: »
    When people talk of flying cars, all I can think of is the carnage. When you see stuff like this happening all the time on 2D roads, imagine what 3D space would be like :eek:

Post of the year! I'm in hysterics! Whatever waccy baccy you've been smoking, I want some! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭TheFlatulator

seeing there so many accidents, all i can see happen is the council putting more spped bumps in the area...

But in saying that the tramore road is a speed trap always has been and always will be....

Kahless wrote: »
    Ha brilliant

Another accident at Mount Sion school by the top of Bunkers Hill this morning, cops and two ambulances there

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ha brilliant

Another accident at Mount Sion school by the top of Bunkers Hill this morning, cops and two ambulances there

Must have been going some speed...ether that or the maybe hit a pedestrian?

Yeah I only saw one car on a tow truck, don't know what happened exactly, it was just at the traffic lights on the corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

Travelling the outer ring road every day I have come to conclusions that most Waterford people are unable to use a roundabout.

Picture the scene, the road markings approaching the round about say right lane to turn right, left lane from left and STRAIGHT AHEAD. Then why use the right lane to go straight.

In my opinion, this is down right careless.

And overtaking skills in this town leave a lot of be desired. I don't claim to be the best driver in the world, but I try my best to a courteous driver and at least use the correct lanes at round about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

That really bugs me too. Also some inconsiderate muppets decide to cut out in front of the hearse at a funeral last week at the Tramore Road roundabout. Maybe because he had an 08 BMW jeep he thought he had every right to own the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

kensutz wrote: »
    That really bugs me too. Also some inconsiderate muppets decide to cut out in front of the hearse at a funeral last week at the Tramore Road roundabout. Maybe because he had an 08 BMW jeep he thought he had every right to own the road.

wonder was it the same jeep that crashed outside superquinn? well they do say what goes around comes around !! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Filmore

This could be prevented if people observe traffic guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mags 28

i saw the entire thing too. yer man in the jeep (not a Beemer, by the way, vlvo, i think) was doing no speed at all. Looked to me as if it was just bad luck. i watched him help out everyone aftetrwards...seemed decent to me but damn shook. I had a word with the fire lads and they said all the ambulances wre all a precaution. But the crowds! Everyone loves a good show, if you ask me. nobody hurt in that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Surely if he crashed into the back of someone he was either not looking or going too fast for the conditions? You are supposed to be able to stop before hitting something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I have to agree with Kahless.He was not going slow at all for the area where he was and was obviously not paying attention as he had plenty of time to slow down.I could see the crash coming easily.And of course he's gonna try help out, he was obviously in the wrong and was trying to ease his guilt.I feel sorry for the people he crashed into, they're the ones that are going to be feeling in for ages to come.They have the hassle of sorting out insurance, medical treatment and the psychological aspects that happen afterwards.Its fairly unnerving getting back to driving after any crash, but when your stationary and some one crashes into you , it takes a while for the paranoia and insecurities to lull.
    I hope the guy in the jeep gets screwed by the insurance company and if I had my way I'd do him for dangerous driving and limit him to driving around in a pink 1987 lada or failing that put him off the road for a few years.I have seen through experience that people that cause a crash will undoubtedly go on and cause more when they don't come out of it badly.One guy I know has been the cause of 3 crashes in the last year and seeing his driving I'll bet he'll be in another one soon.

mags 28 wrote: »
    i saw the entire thing too. yer man in the jeep (not a Beemer, by the way, vlvo, i think) was doing no speed at all. Looked to me as if it was just bad luck. i watched him help out everyone aftetrwards...seemed decent to me but damn shook. I had a word with the fire lads and they said all the ambulances wre all a precaution. But the crowds! Everyone loves a good show, if you ask me. nobody hurt in that one.

How is your jeep?

Minto wrote: »
    You just reminded me of something funny that happened a few weeks ago, me and two friends were driving out from college and a guy cut across us on the same roundabout, we beeped the horn and the c*nt threw a rules of the road book out the window at us. It didn't hit the car, but twas bloody dangerous. Unfortunately, we were paralysed with laughter and didn't get his number plate.

A lot of Irish people dont know how to use roundabouts. I suppose a lot of our drivers are not competent/qualfied and really shouldnt on the road as they cause accidents. Then we have full drivers who are just as bad if not worse!

I assume the rules book was supposed to mean something. Was the driver on a Learner Permit? Maybe they did it to point that out, or they think they had the right of way and got it wrong?

You really wouldnt know wtf they were playing at. If it was me, id follow them and report them once I got the reg. That kinda ****e needs to be stopped and we need people reporting these ****ers on our road.

(Sorry for the rant :P)

How is your jeep?

lol exactly what I was thinking.

How can you hit the back of a car if -

1) You were not speading
    2) You were to close to the car in front
    or
    3) You were not paying attention.

Due to the type of crash, speed clearly was a big factor. They dont usually call out ambulances unless the crash is serious. I know everyone (seven casualties IIRC) was brought to hospital as a precuation and there were really no injuries (apart from shock) but that only happens in somewat serious crashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Mini wrote: »
    Travelling the outer ring road every day I have come to conclusions that most Waterford people are unable to use a roundabout.

Picture the scene, the road markings approaching the round about say right lane to turn right, left lane from left and STRAIGHT AHEAD. Then why use the right lane to go straight.

In my opinion, this is down right careless.

I learned to drive in the UK, and my driving instructor was quite clear that when there was only one exit off a roundabout, the left lane was for left and straight on, and the right lane was for right only.

However, on a dual carriageway such as the ORR, interrupted by a roundabout, if there are two exit lanes, then both entrance lanes can be used for travelling straight on, as long as you stay left or right on exit, just as you entered.

I checked our own Rules of the Road and it seems to be a bit vague... the right-hand lane can be used where situations allow, or where the left exit lane is blocked, or that wonderful catch-all "when directed by a Garda".

It probably isn't quite correct driving procedure to the letter of the law, but it's common practice absolutely everywhere, especially on older dual carriageways in the Dublin area (I would be particularly familiar with the N3 in Blanchardstown and the old N1 near Swords - the one with all the roundabouts). I wouldn't consider it dangerous at all... as long as drivers follow their lane around the roundabout it's fine, there's plenty of space. The problem arises when someone on the left decides to follow the "racing line" and cut into the right-hand lane on the way across. Now that's careless.

Advertisement