Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My 1st Car

Options
  • 29-03-2008 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hey!

I'm currently saving for a motor and was wondering what to get.
    I've my mind set on a Toyota Yaris. Is it a cheaper car to insure?
    I'm a 21yr old male. Can someone estimate how much insurance I'd have to pay on a 1.1ltr? Petrol. Manual.

Also, I'm looking for a 2002/2003 model, is €6,500/€7,000 the correct ball mark figure?

Thanks,
    Ben

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Hey!

I'm currently saving for a motor and was wondering what to get.
    I've my mind set on a Toyota Yaris. Is it a cheaper car to insure?
    I'm a 21yr old male. Can someone estimate how much insurance I'd have to pay on a 1.1ltr? Petrol. Manual.

Also, I'm looking for a 2002/2003 model, is €6,500/€7,000 the correct ball mark figure?

Thanks,
    Ben

I saw the post, thought female looking for male advice with the name. I read the post and saw Toyota Yaris, started to think perfect first car for her. Then i get to the end and see 21yr old Male, Ben and now i'm confused :(.

If your looking for a first car at that price, i would consider a VW Polo, as i said above Yaris is more for a female in my view.

ps: Whats with the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Seriously mate, you are going to get all sorts of answers here.

It depends on so many factors you are better off using the golden pages and ringing a few insurance companies yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I saw the post, thought female looking for male advice with the name. I read the post and saw Toyota Yaris, started to think perfect first car for her. Then i get to the end and see 21yr old Male, Ben and now i'm confused :(.

If your looking for a first car at that price, i would consider a VW Polo, as i said above Yaris is more for a female in my view.

ps: Whats with the name?

I think its self explanatory....eh anyway.

CareBear2008,

You can find a quote on almost any insurance providers website. You can put in almost endless permutations of car types and engine sizes.

And you can find yourself a motor on one of the many carsales web sites!

GOTO> search '2002/2003 model, BETWEEN €6,500/€7,000', sit back and take your pick.

My two cents is to buy something with low mileage <50k. You should pick up a decent peugot206 meeting your criteria for that kind of cashage, and buy from a dealer where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

My two cents is to buy something with low mileage <50k. You should pick up a decent peugot206 meeting your criteria for that kind of cashage, and buy from a dealer where possible.

Hmm, I wouldnt be too sure about a 206 as a first car, I know they are a nice car and good to drive, but they aren't the most reliable by a long shot, several things can go wrong with the engine electrics on 206s, worse still the dealers are useless when it comes to fixing this problem. My friend has had a lot of trouble with his 1.1 206, it started cutting out ramdomly, when he went to a well know pug dealer in the southside, they took it in for about a week, eventually gave it back to him, unrepaired! They didn't know what was wrong with it. He eventually got it fixed back in the place he bought it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hmm, I wouldnt be too sure about a 206 as a first car, I know they are a nice car and good to drive, but they aren't the most reliable by a long shot, several things can go wrong with the engine electrics on 206s, worse still the dealers are useless when it comes to fixing this problem. My friend has had a lot of trouble with his 1.1 206, it started cutting out ramdomly, when he went to a well know pug dealer in the southside, they took it in for about a week, eventually gave it back to him, unrepaired! They didn't know what was wrong with it. He eventually got it fixed back in the place he bought it from.

G/F has driven her 2001 206 trouble free for 13mths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I've known several people to have spent a fortune fixing problems on 206s. The Yaris is a far better plan IMO. At 21 you don't want to be constantly spending money on repairs, and while I'm sure there's plenty of people with trouble-free Peugeots, Toyota have their reputation for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Engine size is not really that much of an issue with insurance prices (apart from some restrictions Hibernian have) To get an idea throw a Yaris into www.quinn-direct.ie and then try a 1.6 litre petrol/ 1.9 litre diesel and compare the prices. It depends more on the car itself. my insurance in my first year was 600 euro cheaper (in a 2 litre diesel) than it would have been in a 1.25 Fiesta.

So don't stick to the 1 litre max mentality. Have you got a full license?, Have you driven before?
    If I was in your shoes, and I was a few years ago, I'd get a slightly bigger car, and perhaps go a little older to get more for your money.

Suggestions:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/147/SPORTIVO/649221/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/1.4LX/948992/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Nissan/Almera/1.5-MINT/627432/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Laguna/1.6-MIRAGE/985055/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/car/808200/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/1.6-petrol/947299/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volvo/S40/1.6-XS/670752/

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I wouldn't really be able to recommend any specific first cars, just something with a smallish engine, and stay away from 'boy racer cars' ie Honda Civic and Mitsubishi Colt, as these types of cars have a 'weighting' and the insurance will cost you more. My first car was a Matiz, 00 and I had four years hassle free driving in it until the head gasket blew last week, although it is a bit of a granny wagon :o. My advice would be to go for something with low mileage, preferably from a dealer so at least you'll get some sort of warranty. The other advantage of getting a smaller engine is the tax is cheaper. The Matiz cost me 150 per year, whereas I've just changed to a 1.4 Rover which is going to cost 292 per year. Ideally you'd just want something that'll be cheap and cheerful to run, but also reliable. For what it's worth, I've heard Toyota have a great reputation for reliability.

As for the insurance, give QuinnDirect a go. The cost will depend on a number of things, first whether you're on a full or provisional licence, how long have you been driving, and if you've got named driving experience. To give you an example, I bought my BF a Fiat Siecento '99 1.2l as a surprise when he passed his test last april. He was 22, just got his licence, but didn't have a full year's driving experience, so wasn't entitled to any discount. His premium for the year was 1205. We paid by Direct Debit, so overall it cost us 1300approx. This was the cheapest quote by far that I got, most of the other places were quoting upwards of 1500 per year, most expensive quote was 2250!!!! I also found that some of the websites won't quote you if you're under 23, so you have to ring them. I know EagleStar don't do online quotes at all, it's all done by phone. Shop around, and don't be afraid to haggle a bit, cos you'd be surprised at the results you'll get. This is another good site, it'll do the shopping around for you, so you'll have a better idea of the kind of price you'll be looking at for the insurance.

Good Luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CareBear2008

I've another month of savings to do before I apply to the credit union for a loan. They better not turn me down. Thanks for your help guys!

Advertisement