Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importing a parrot from uk

Options
  • 29-03-2008 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hi i was jus wondering if i can get a parrot from uk..like go get it and bring it baack via a ferry...are there any restrictions to it????

the reason i want it from uk is that they are too cheap up there compared to here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Are you getting the parrot from a breeder or a petshop?

Because a breeder in Ireland could very well be cheaper than a petshop in the UK.

I enquired about getting an Umbrella cockatoo a couple of years ago. A petshop in Donegal had them for over £3000 whereas a breeder was selling them for about £1200. Petshops add a large markup

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lucky-ali

a breeder is well cheaper then a petshop i im getting it from a a normal person who is selling a drucop cockatoo for 350Pounds i live in ireland so i was wondering if i can go a pick up the bird and not get stopped by someone saying u cant bring it to ireland thats wat i wanted to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

lucky-ali wrote: »
    a breeder is well cheaper then a petshop i im getting it from a a normal person who is selling a drucop cockatoo for 350Pounds i live in ireland so i was wondering if i can go a pick up the bird and not get stopped by someone saying u cant bring it to ireland thats wat i wanted to know
    i dont know if im right that youd still have to declare the parrot through the ferry.As far i know they might be restrictions due to the bird flu im only guessing.or the parrot could fly over:Dlol
    http://www.irelandpets.com/
    http://www.airsea.ie/index.htm

the bird will be dnaed sexed and have papers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

lucky-ali wrote: »
    the bird will be dnaed sexed and have papers

As far as I know there are no restrictions or laws to say you can't. I imported an African Grey with no problems nearly 3 years ago. I didn't tell anyone though and left the parrot in a large travel case with water and food and plently of air. I had no problems at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Customs Rules:Warning animals arriving without proper documents will be refused entry and returned to point of origin as there are no quarantine facilities Birds parrots, parakeets and other psittacine birds must have a health certificate with special mention that the bird has had a psittacosis examination within 3 months, if recent purchase from a pet shop, or 6 months, if coming from a private home.

the bird will have all the papers and medical stuff thanks u guys

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

I know that the birds don`t have to be quarantined anymore but you do need a Vets cert saying the bird is healthy. You should organise everything before you go.

Advertisement