Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One PC, two networks

Options
  • 29-03-2008 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

Here's my problem:

I have one PC with a wireless card and a 100baseT network card.

The wireless card connects into the wireless router in the next room in order to access the Internet.

The 100baseT card connects into a LAN hub I have in the same room in order to access a couple of NAS units.

When both connections are up I cannot access the Internet.

I've tried configuring the LAN hub to disable DCHP and assign static IP addressed to everything on the local LAN.

When I do that, I can access everything on the local LAN and not access the Internet via the wireless link.

When I switch off the local LAN hub then everything works fine in terms of Internet access.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Your PC is getting mixed up -- it won't know where to route packets if it has two default gateways. This thread might be of help. :)

Would it be possible to connect your NAS units to your wireless router? Then you could just stick with connecting wirelessly.

That or connect your PC and NAS devices to a switch. Get a wireless bridge and then also connect it to the switch. This will then connect wirelessly to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

You shouldn't have to do any of that - just set up your ethernet card's IP settings manually, and don't enter a gateway IP.

If it still doesn't work, do a 'route print' from the command line and post up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

FruitLover wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to do any of that - just set up your ethernet card's IP settings manually, and don't enter a gateway IP.
    Thanks a million - that worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

generally occurs as your NIC is higher speed than your wireless, and if set to automatic metric, will have its default gateway take priority, which in the case of your setup, there shouldnt be a gateway, since its a non-routable network. so yes, static setting without gateway, or a manual metric will do the trick.

Advertisement