Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Watch closely because, remember, the clues are there, as we go

Options
  • 29-03-2008 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

One forum, One Poster

From my reading of the threads in this forum, there are a large number of posts written by the same person, under different guises, specifying different ages/circumstances etc. (Its the internet, so I accept thats its open to such abuses).

But what I cant quite understand is that the respondents (apart from the ones that appear to be written by the poster themself) are genuine, informative and generally offer (reasonably) sound advice?

Can they not spot, what appears to me to be the obvious?

Same writing style
    Same usernames derived from topic etc
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

take it to feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

And add links next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Even if an original poster may be fake the question may warrant answers, in case someone else has the same issue.

Also the mods can see what IP posters come from, to weed out trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Routledge

biko wrote: »
    Even if an original poster may be fake the question may warrant answers, in case someone else has the same issue.

I can undertand that. But the very fact that people are being taken for a ride shud be of concern.

Plus the extent to which the poster dreams up these quite detalied different and varying scenarios is strange and worrying in itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Routledge wrote: »
    I can undertand that. But the very fact that people are being taken for a ride shud be of concern.

Plus the extent to which the poster dreams up these quite detalied different and varying scenarios is strange and worrying in itself

How do you know this for sure though?

• Advertisement

Clare Bear wrote: »
    How do you know this for sure though?

I cant be sure. I could be wrong. But in this instance I think Im right

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

what instance? links?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Report the posts if you think there is some dodginess going on.

Moved from PI.

I thought I saw a pussy cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

post links or it didn't happen..:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

One forum, One Poster

From my reading of the threads in this forum, there are a large number of posts written by the same person, under different guises, specifying different ages/circumstances etc.
    How come only you have spotted that and others haven't? And are you aware of the anonymous posting facility on this forum?
    But what I cant quite understand is that the respondents (apart from the ones that appear to be written by the poster themself) are genuine, informative and generally offer (reasonably) sound advice?

Same writing style
    Obviously not, or they wouldn't be posting advice. But I'm not entirely convinced that this isn't a figment of your imagination. As I said, if it's true and you've spotted it, wouldn't others? What makes you so much more capable of spotting it? Especially considering you only joined recently.

I can certainly think of a couple of people who have taken the piss out of Personal Issues in the manner that you've described, but they have been weeded out by the moderators.

Dudess wrote: »
    How come only you have spotted that and others haven't? And are you aware of the anonymous posting facility on this forum?

Im probably more sceptical than most, which has its advantages aswell as drawbacks.

Obviously not, or they wouldn't be posting advice. But I'm not entirely convinced that this isn't a figment of your imagination. As I said, if it's true and you've spotted it, wouldn't others? What makes you so much more capable of spotting it? Especially considering you only joined recently.

Absolutely, no more capable than others are. Call it a hunch than.

I can certainly think of a couple of people who have taken the piss out of Personal Issues in the manner that you've described, but they have been weeded out by the moderators.

Fair enough.

Its just something thats stood out to me in reading a good few of threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

biko wrote: »

But that breaks down if it's an internet cafe, the person doesn't have a static ip (most home internet users), college computer, apartment wifi, or even if the posters live in the same house.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't have a static ip yet mine rarely changes.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

One forum, One Poster

From my reading of the threads in this forum, there are a large number of posts written by the same person, under different guises, specifying different ages/circumstances etc. (Its the internet, so I accept thats its open to such abuses).

Same writing style
    Yeah, you're right. There are a number of users who set up 'troll' threads. So what? I'm not trying to be dismissive; I just don't see that you have a meritorious point.

People take each other for rides in every aspect of life. What's the difference that it happens here? Though it is a good thing for you if (as you claim) you can spot people who are wind-up merchants, what difference does it make to those who can't?

I could understand your point to a greater extent if the winding up was being done face-to-face. What makes it wrong is that people get humiliated by it. Here, however, the (pretty pathetic and deranged) person who makes up the story can laugh all they want. The likelihood is that no one will hear them (because they live alone/with their mothers) or that anyone who does hear them won't care (because they're pathetic and deranged).

People have already made the point that these threads (or at least some of the more credible ones) are potentially of some use to people who actually do find themselves in one of life's surprising situations, so I do not need to expand.

If I may comment on a personal level, it strikes me that your complaint is not really a complaint, but more a cry for validation and recognition insofar as you are able to spot a clown when you see one. Well, congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Routledge,

I've thought for a long time that anything up to maybe 75% of the threads on that forum are started by one, or maybe two or three people.

But there are some genuine and worthwhile threads on there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Look at the current thread "Don't Know What to Do" written by "DontHaveAClue".....

You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

One forum, One Poster

Same writing style

Maybe its the same person with a few seperate problems??!! I haven't really noticed anything like that!!
    Look at the current thread "Don't Know What to Do" written by "DontHaveAClue".....

You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes ........

I still don't get it??? :confused: lol I'm just not with it today!!! But that's only one thread? How does that mean somebody's trolling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Unless you check the persons IP address, you can't know for sure whether or not they are making bull**** posts, so there isn't much point in openly speculating about it as you will just make people unnecessarily paranoid.

In any case, if there are people making such posts, then I think that in itself signifies genuine personal issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I know of one user who has had many accounts banned in the past and still pops up repeatedly on PI with new dramatic problems, but I think he/she is just a really pathetic person who adores getting attention.

It's the internet, there's all sorts of people out there. PI is a huge attractant for trolls, but as long as they're not blatently taking the piss, then they're really not doing any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Just to stir it up, what if the person the OP is talking about is the OP themselves? You know, kind of like "I'm so S-M-R-T you can't catch me!"

It might explain how they and only they have spotted this mysterious multi-aliased poster.

Discuss.

^The above may/may not be the ramblings of an unsound mind ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Look even if it might be a troll the PI mods err on the side of the fact it may not and
    that the help or discussion that comes after may help other people either no or a lil later on if a person googles looking for help on such a matter.

IF you don't like the look of a thread report it and don't post in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Its pretty much as thaed says.

When posting anionymously, the posts have to be approved in any event and a lot of the more obvious trolls can be weeded out that way.
    If the Issue is reasonable, or can be read by people who are in similar situations then fair enough.

I dont have aproblem with that. In the end it is pretty quickly obvious when someone is trolling and one or two of the mods are pretty good at matching writing styles.
    We have occasionally had one poster who registers and reregisters so that it circumvents the approval system. They have been caught pretty quickly.

Occasionally too we have locked threads based on trolls only to have the OP query the locking. So it is swings and roundabouts.

I cannot see what is your problem with it though?

Faith wrote: »
    I know of one user who has had many accounts banned in the past and still pops up repeatedly on PI with new dramatic problems, but I think he/she is just a really pathetic person who adores getting attention.
    I know which person you mean and I wouldn't be surprised if this person is actually suffering from some sort of delusional disorder and needs help - I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm being very serious.
    javaboy wrote: »
    Just to stir it up, what if the person the OP is talking about is the OP themselves? You know, kind of like "I'm so S-M-R-T you can't catch me!"

It might explain how they and only they have spotted this mysterious multi-aliased poster.
    That's the first thing that popped into my head...

That's the first thing that popped into my head...[/quote]

Yet its the last thing you thought to post. Mmm I dont think so.

Plus, I think I'll continue to set the bar in my life somewhat higher than posting on an internet forum which some of the posts have suggested was designed by me, the op, as a way of seeking attention. Thats gas...!

Ah well, well done folks, keep the blinkers on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Plus, I think I'll continue to set the bar in my life somewhat higher than posting on an internet forum

Good idea, the rest of us will enjoy boards.

Cool, keep in your own self important little world..have a good one :D

Marksie wrote: »
    Good idea, the rest of us will enjoy boards.

Cool, keep in your own self important little world..have a good one :D

Build a Bridge Man. Im out.

Well it was but I chose not to say it, but then someone else said it so I agreed with them.
    Plus, I think I'll continue to set the bar in my life somewhat higher than posting on an internet forum which some of the posts have suggested was designed by me, the op, as a way of seeking attention.
    Cool. Boards and pomposity don't mix well...

Ta ta Routledge.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

That's the first thing that popped into my head...

Plus, I think I'll continue to set the bar in my life somewhat higher than posting on an internet forum which some of the posts have suggested was designed by me, the op, as a way of seeking attention. Thats gas...!

Dear Majesty,

We defer to your superior status and intellect, of course. What we have done to lose such a valuable and rare commodity that is the great mind of Routledge, we do not know, nor do we expect that your eminence will grant us acquaintance of such.

We are most penitent.

We are, majesty, yours humbly,
    Us.

P.S. If it please, sir, do not let the door hit your ass on the way out, sir.

Advertisement