Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Watch closely because, remember, the clues are there, as we go

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Dudess wrote: »
    I know which person you mean and I think this person is actually suffering from some sort of delusional disorder and needs help - I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm being very serious.

That's the first thing that popped into my head...

Who do you think you are? Accusing someone of having a mental health problem based on a few posts on an internet forum?

Even a psychiatrist wouldn't make such a statement about someone they know NOTHING about. I really think you should apologise to Routledge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

eth0_ wrote: »
    Who do you think you are? Accusing someone of having a mental health problem based on a few posts on an internet forum?

Even a psychiatrist wouldn't make such a statement about someone they know NOTHING about. I really think you should apologise to Routledge.

Dudess was talking about a different poster, not Routledge. Calm down.

Faith wrote: »
    Dudess was talking about a different poster, not Routledge. Calm down.

Fair enough but it doesn't really matter who she was talking about - it's not cool to accuse someone of being mentally ill.
    People who troll on boards are just as likely to be bored in work and doing it to kill time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Mentaller.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Fair enough but it doesn't really matter who she was talking about - it's not cool to accuse someone of being mentally ill.
    People who troll on boards are just as likely to be bored in work and doing it to kill time.

That's the thing, the person Dudess and I are discussing doesn't troll - I think she honestly believes her lies or delusions or whatever you want to call them.

• Advertisement

That's the thing, the person Dudess and I are discussing doesn't troll - I think she honestly believes her lies or delusions or whatever you want to call them.

How can you know that for sure? Do you know this woman personally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

it's not cool to accuse someone of being mentally ill.
    Heh, "accuse". With that term, you're actually likening having a mental illness to committing a crime...
    If one objects to speculation by another that a person might have a mental illness, then that's just further reinforcement of the stigma.

Dudess wrote: »
    Heh, "accuse". With that term, you're actually likening having a mental illness to committing a crime...
    If one objects to speculation by another that a person might have a mental illness, then that's just further reinforcement of the stigma.

I'm actually studying to be a psychologist, and I know diagnosing someone with a mental illness is something that should be dealt with very delicately and you have to be 110% sure before you make a diagnosis because of how it will impact on the client, even if your diagnosis is correct. I used the word 'accuse' because of the context it was used, by someone not qualified to make such a judgement.

Well of course, but there's a difference between speculation and diagnosis. Most of us have some familiarity with mental illness - whether it's being ill ourselves, or being related to/friends with someone or a number of people who are/were mentally ill and we gain a tiny bit of knowledge through that. I note I used the words "I think" in relation to this person, maybe I should have written "I suspect that".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Is that a confession ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Meh so what. If someone is inventing issues either because of other issues in their heads or for fun(much the same thing), I don't really care. As Marksie notes we sometimes close threads that look like trollage only to find out they're not. Doubtless either pranksters or walter mitty types of a "delicate" nature get through. Personally I couldn't give a flying one, simply because if it looks like a real issue, others with that issue or similar may get some help, different viewpoints or advise that they may not otherwise get. All good. It may even help the troll. Storm in a teacup on a slow weekend.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I don't see a problem either, a query is a query is a query, and thanks to you guys, trolling and flamefests are non existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Not really the place for such a discussion though is it?

I'm in the "if it helps even one person it's all good" camp.

Yeah it is good if it helps someone, but it's also a rather obnoxious trick to play.

Advertisement