Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning the forcing cone area of a shotgun?

Options
  • 29-03-2008 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

A quick one.

Cleaned my shotgun for the first time today. (Only got my hands on it today
    to do a bit of clays so only got 200 cartridges through it)

When I look down the barrels everything seems squeaky clean
    apart from what "I think" is called the forcing cone area around where
    the shell would open within the barrel when fired.

I got a cleaning rod with mop/bronze brush and also a bore snake.
    First I got some wads of newspaper and then Loo roll and pushed through the bore used the bronze brush and bore snake. Nothing seems to shift the bit of dirt in this forcing cone area, everywhere else is perfectly clean.

Wondering am I doing something wrong or is there a knack to it.

Will post pics of it tomorrow or when the weather dries up its
    a bettinsoli diamond sporter 28" theres feck all hi-res pics of bettinsoli's
    on the web it would make a nice change to seem some detailed ones.
    Lovely gun, the wood is a bit lifeless but other than that I think its pretty
    for an el-cheapo first timer gun.

One other thing. I got snap caps for it (aluminum ones not the plastic ones)
    It lets me fire twice releasing both springs! more than one person told me before that only the first spiring would be released when using snap caps
    and the 2nd spring was activated on recoil from the first shot. Does not seem
    to be the case for this gun.

~B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

bullets wrote: »
    Hi guys,

A quick one.

First I got some wads of newspaper and then Loo roll and pushed through the bore used the bronze brush and bore snake. Nothing seems to shift the bit of dirt in this forcing cone area, everywhere else is perfectly clean.

It lets me fire twice releasing both springs! more than one person told me before that only the first spiring would be released when using snap caps

~B
    could be plastic fouling, you get a solvent specifically for that cos its a bugger to shift sometimes.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

cool will give that a go tonight thanks.
    ~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

Hi guys,

A quick one.

~B

I also have a Bettinsoli Sporter that I use for clays - guys weren't too happy with the camouflage semi auto at clay shoots. Bought the Bettinsoli as second gun for clays - didn't want to spend too much on a second gun I only use now & again for practice. I've found the Bettinsoli to be a brilliant gun - top quality for the price.

I tried to take some photos below (not great - cheap camera!) to show the ring you are talking about. It is not dirt - it's metal of a different shade. If you shine a lamp down the barrel (awkward) you will see it. It you put a pencil down the barrel you will feel that it's the way the barrel has been cut - feels slightly grooved with a lip at the end that stops the cartridge. These slight grooves and the end lip are what are causing the shadowing and it appears darker than shiny barrel.

Leave it alone - it's spotless!

019.jpg

021.jpg

I can also fire the two snap caps with the single trigger - I don't have to switch from top barrel to bottom barrel to do so - don't worry about it - the gun is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Thats a relief :D I was wondering why just that bit was not spotless.
    thanks for the info

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I've the Supersport, lovely gun and shoots well, wouldn't panic on the bit of fouling, it will come off with elbow grease:D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Elbow gease will clean it allright. Another point is that some cartridges are dirtier than others. Some brands go through the barrels leaving hardly a mark behind them while others leave a pile of crap behind.

I've also found that some crap left behind is harder to clean than others.

Best of luck with the new gun and make you break many clays with it!

Advertisement