Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help installing Ubuntu?

• 29-03-2008 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Hi, just downloaded Ubuntu and burned it onto a CD. I opened it in windows and got a screen telling me to reboot with the CD running. I did this but Windows loaded up after a minor delay. I rebooted again and pressed esc to change the boot order to CD-ROM but again I had no luck. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Try changing the boot order in your computers BIOS settings. That can be done by pressing a function key during a normal bootup - you'll be prompted with the exact key, I know on my Dell it's F2, but varies from computer to computer.

Put the CD-Drive ahead of the hard-drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Yeah I tried that and no joy. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

What do you see on the cd when you're in windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Did you run the checksum on the ubuntu download (ie verify the integrity of it). If not, do so.

Did you make sure to burn the disc as a pure iso (and not a file folder etc)?

Did you burn it at a slow speed?

Have you double checked the bios boot sequence (and can actually hear the disc in the CD-drive spinning when you turn the computer on)?

This:
    Ubuntu is a complete open source operating system suitable for desktops and servers. The base system and all included software is free, and support is available from the community or by professional support providers. "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". The Ubuntu distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.

This is a Live Ubuntu CD that can be run directly from your CD drive. Simply leave this CD in your drive and reboot the computer to run a demo of Ubuntu. Nothing will be installed on your computer, nor will your current system be altered in any way.

A brief tour

The standard user interface is based around the Gnome desktop environment. When you start the system for the first time you are greeted by a desktop that is unusually clean and tidy. No desktop icons by default! Even the recycling bin has been moved down to the taskbar. The default theme is designed to be easy on the eye. But Linux is inherently flexible; you can customise the look and behavior of the desktop in a range of ways, from simply changing the default theme to selecting a different desktop environment altogether.

The Applications menu gives you access to a selection of useful programs, such as Firefox and OpenOffice.org. The Places menu provides access to local files and network locations, while the System menu contains system settings. Ubuntu includes more than 1,000 supported pieces of software, starting with the Linux kernel, the Gnome desktop environment, and covering every standard desktop application from word processing to programming tools. If you should require more software, simply use the Add Application utility to download and install programs from the freely available software repository.

• Advertisement

We know what it is. Did you burn the iso correctly?

No, I will burn it as an image now. Thanks for the assistance.

:)

No problem :)

Advertisement