Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rashers wrote: »
    The 'thing' in Grafton st?

It's a litter bin.

Maybe then.

But I noticed this....

attachment.php?attachmentid=56904&stc=1&d=1211930817

attachment.php?attachmentid=56906&stc=1&d=1211932724

On Morehampton Rd. yesterday. Its the base of a lamp post (all original post posts in this area have the same base), and wondered. If the 'thing' in the post on page 16 is a lamp post, could it be a decommissioned Lamp Post base press ganged into service as a litter bin?.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Mairt wrote: »
    Maybe then.

But I noticed this....

attachment.php?attachmentid=56904&stc=1&d=1211930817

On Morehampton Rd. yesterday. Its the base of a lamp post (all original post posts in this area have the same base), and wondered. If the 'thing' in the post on page 16 is a lamp post, could it be a decommissioned Lamp Post base press ganged into service as a litter bin?.

That's it. Well spotted and photographed.

If you compare the pic above with this one....

bruscar.jpg

.... the 'bin' part can be seen.

They were painted silver at the top, the hollow bit (clearly seen in the lower photo and in the oiginal a few pages back) was for the litter bin itself, and if someone had the technology to blow up part of the pic above, the words Bruscar would be seen above the word Litter on those two light coloured plates either side of the plinth.

It would be interesting to get more info from the corpo on these converted lamp standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They were painted silver at the top, the hollow bit (clearly seen in the lower photo and in the oiginal a few pages back) was for the litter bin itself, and if someone had the technology to blow up part of the pic above, the words Bruscar would be seen above the word Litter on those two light coloured plates either side of the plinth.

It would be interesting to get more info from the corpo on these converted lamp standards.
    I'm just wondering if these bins fell by the wayside because of their width. They would appear to be too narrow for an insert to allow easy emptying for Corpo workers. Prehaps this contributed to their demise as I'm sure that with the subsequent IV drug problems, no one wants to get a needlestick injury by pulling out rubbish by hand!

The proliferation of fast food cartons/wrappers during the past 30 years or so, would also have rendered them ineffective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

A few from the archives - mostly turn of the century up to the 1920s:
    Blackpitts
    Blackpitts.jpg
    Eden Quay
    EdenQuay.jpg
    Jervis st. hospital ca 1900
    JervisSt1900.jpg
    n. Cumberland St 1913
    Nth_CumberlandSt-1913.jpg
    Sackville St & Talbot st.
    Sackville_TalbotSt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

great photos Des

Is that Summerhill in the 2nd last photo?

I never knew Summerhill before it was demolished and rebuilt, but it looks fascinating.
    Every photo I've seen has a really eerie feeling, would have made a great film set.
    Hard to imagine that Dublin now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Interesting to see the swivel bridge that pre-dates the current Butt bridge.6034073

57070.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭flynnc8

deswalsh wrote: »

Eden Quay
    EdenQuay.jpg

Wow if ya removed the Custom House from that pic ya'd never even notice it was Eden Quay.. it looks so different know...

I'm just wondering if these bins fell by the wayside because of their width. They would appear to be too narrow for an insert to allow easy emptying for Corpo workers. Prehaps this contributed to their demise as I'm sure that with the subsequent IV drug problems, no one wants to get a needlestick injury by pulling out rubbish by hand!

The proliferation of fast food cartons/wrappers during the past 30 years or so, would also have rendered them ineffective.

Good points there Wish.

We must remember that these bins were in use before the 'throw away' society emerged. And before anyone heard the term 'fast food'. Even the corpo bin trucks were small by comparison to those today.. not much was thrown away.... not much to throw away.

Let's take a 'look' into one of the bins. What are we likely to find?

Bus tickets, empty cig packets, maybe a few sweet wrappers (but then again not many sweets were wrapped), a fruit peeling, perhaps a discarded newspaper. Not much else. In fact I never saw one of those bins full, and yes I saw them being emptied by hand, and know a man who used to do that as overtime on weekends. He was my dad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

carolmon wrote: »
    great photos Des

Is that Summerhill in the 2nd last photo?

I never knew Summerhill before it was demolished and rebuilt, but it looks fascinating.
    Every photo I've seen has a really eerie feeling, would have made a great film set.
    Hard to imagine that Dublin now.

I'm not sure what direction the pic was taken, so I dont know. Nth. Cumberland St looked pretty much like that when I was a kid anyway, it was always a bit of a slum!

What I find interesting is that some of the famous buildings in Dublin had nothing around them, which is weird since we're so used to the buildings being packed together.

Here's a few more:

The Cattle market
    CattleMarket.jpg

Henrietta Street
    Henrietta-Street.jpg

and a more recent view, with playing childrencompletely replaced by the motor car!!
    503928300_17dfe87ad4.jpg

Liberty Hall
    Libertyhall.jpg

THe Mater circa 1900
    Mater1900.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mater19001.jpg

That's a good example of the 'deserted' type picture. People often think that streets were much quieter then but the opposite was the case. Cameras had much slower shutter speeds then and any movement would result in a 'fuzzy' shot so the photographers of the day often selected times such as early on a Sunday morning when activity would be minimal. Often, in pictures featuring horses, you can often see a fuzzy horses head when the horse would shake it's head just as the picture was being taken.

Notice the child in that picture he/she was probably skipping along giving a less than sharp image around it. Further up it looks like a horse and cart was trotting along nicely giving another fuzzy image.

BTW des, I'd say that pic was taken long before 1900.

• Advertisement

A butcher's window in Moore Street. 1969

moorest1969.jpg

A butcher's window in Moore Street. 1969

moorest1969.jpg

I was taking some photos around Moore St. early this morning, had I noticed that butchers was FXB's I'd have snapped off a few of it today, it still looks great. Like a butchers window should look like.

Sadly apart from the trader's stall's which are still in abundance (although I noticed some foreign stalls there too) Moore St is mostly run down Asian and Afro-Caribbean shops and cafes.

Although we've got to take a share of the blaim for Moore Steets decay too.

To think, here's 16 Moore St. where the 1916 surrender took place.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59273&stc=1&d=1215683426

Here's a close up of the wall plaque on the building.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59278&stc=1&d=1215688495

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I thought they weren't sure exactly where the surrenderr took place due to general confusion & the rebuilding of the street in the following years

iMax wrote: »
    I thought they weren't sure exactly where the surrenderr took place due to general confusion & the rebuilding of the street in the following years

No 16 is mentioned in the stories and memoirs of several of the survivors, including those of Nurse O'Farrell.

" After visiting the site yesterday and receiving some historical research conducted by his office, Minister Roche is convinced that all available evidence points to No 16 as being the authentic site. It is listed in the 1917 Thom's Street Directory as being owned by Plunkett's, a poulterers business. The shop has been known as `Plunketts' for years."

The above can be read here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I think they're unsure that the current number 16, may not be the number 16 where it happened, rebuilding & renumbering (& general confusion), means it may be several doors up or down the street from that spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Interesting thread,as a foreigner i am interested for similar thread but with pics of todays Dublin,is it already posted in here?

iMax wrote: »
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I think they're unsure that the current number 16, may not be the number 16 where it happened, rebuilding & renumbering (& general confusion), means it may be several doors up or down the street from that spot

Nurse O'Farrell who was there and carried the messages from and back to No 16 stood in Moore St and confirmed the building as the original.

From the same source:

"Most interesting in the current context is that Nurse O’Farrell’s account dovetails with the position on the ground in Moore Street today."

Interesting thread,as a foreigner i am interested for similar thread but with pics of todays Dublin,is it already posted in here?

You might find something of what you're looking for here.

There's also a Dublin picture thread on Dublin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

You might find something of what you're looking for here.

There's also a Dublin picture thread on Dublin.ie

Thanks mate:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Wow, so many people cycled back then! If only it was the same now.

• Advertisement

Anyone remember O'Connell Bridge when it was humpbacked? :)

This is a very old photo (don't know the date, but the bridge was closed in 1879 to widen and level it) taken from Batchelors Walk.

CarlisleBridge1.jpg

The 5 Lamps from the same spot 1964 and 2008.

5lamps64now.jpg

A great little clip here of Ballymun back in 1973.

Screened on RTE but I can't find anything else from the programme online :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Looks like a clip from 'Reeling in the Years' on RTÉ
    It's up on mininova

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

n740511320_770857_6109.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mairt wrote: »
    A great little clip here of Ballymun back in 1973.

Screened on RTE but I can't find anything else from the programme online :(

The chap interviewed in that clip is a very good friend of my families, he's still living in the same part of ballymun and his prediction was absolutely right. He worked hard for this area all through the 70s 80s and 90s and expected f*** all in return. I had a feeling either him or my old man would be in that clip :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

A friend sent me this today. I know O'Connell Street's been done already, but I thought this was a nice pic..

2766253838_eff7a364cc_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

ifl

A day late (I was on the pisssh yesterday) but....

R.I.P. Ronnie Drew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

Fantastic thread guys, gives me a warm feeling looking through the nostalgia lenses! Also, thread is a great resource, to have all these pics for when I'm teaching change and continuity in History.

Thanks!
    :D

Advertisement