Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rashers wrote: »
    AHQ during the takeover frm the British. I don't know the exact date for this photo.

I'm trying to figure out where that is, I can't place it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm trying to figure out where that is, I can't place it.

photos writing say "G.H.Q, PARKGATE BOX L" and H169 under that

Bambi wrote: »
    photos writing say "G.H.Q, PARKGATE BOX L" and H169 under that

I mean't that I'm trying to figure out what part of Parkgate St it is.

"thanks" would have done :D

"thanks" would have done :D

But I could read the print on the photograph, I just can't figure out what part of what is DFHQ today it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Shegull wrote: »
    I have just invested in a fantastic book called Dublin An Urban History by Niall McCullough. Really is a great book and has many fantastic photos of all parts of Dublin. Has anybody else seen it?

That's a great book. When I worked in the bookshop I used to spend a lot of time sneaking a look when my boss wasn't working. I should've picked it up when I got a discount. I think it's still €45. Worth it, but I can't afford it.

Another great book is The Heart of Dublin by Pearson. I think it's out of print now, but if you see a copy around, I recommend you picking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

And a pic down the 27 Steps taken about the same time. Mary's Mansions visible, part of Liberty House, and the old gasometer.

27steps-1.jpg

A question? Were the 27 Steps also known as Hamilton Lane? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

Hi all

a few photo's from of grandmothers, her first job in the grafton shoe co, and a picture of my grandfather(centre front) but I don't know where this one was taken

Free state army.jpgMaise Graves The Grafton Shoe Co.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Not sure if it's of any interest but I was part of a project putting together a book on Dublin in 1911 and an accompanying documentary.

One video is a collection of photographs retrieved from archives;

The other is of a more ordered selection of photos, records etc. with voice over;

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

That's a great book. When I worked in the bookshop I used to spend a lot of time sneaking a look when my boss wasn't working. I should've picked it up when I got a discount. I think it's still €45. Worth it, but I can't afford it

Toby take a bow it's here for around €33 if that's any good? Free delivery, it's still pricey mind. Try the Library otherwise.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search?searchTerm=Dublin+An+Urban+History&search=search

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

bdr529 wrote: »
    Hi all

a few photo's from of grandmothers, her first job in the grafton shoe co, and a picture of my grandfather(centre front) but I don't know where this one was taken

Free state army.jpgMaise Graves The Grafton Shoe Co.jpg

Assuming that was on 35 Grafton St. here's the unit more recently:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=35+Grafton+Street,+Dublin,+Ireland&hl=en&ll=53.341002,-6.260598&spn=0.004144,0.011362&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=44.793449,93.076172&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.341092,-6.260537&panoid=9m1OQ0f07zGm9L51TORaxw&cbp=12,134.66,,0,6.8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 leojake

just got those two books from my local library so a lot of reading to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Isn't St. Brigands Army Hospital up there on Parkgate Street or just off it there somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

There are quite a few old Dublin pics, superimposed onto Google Street View, at:
    http://www.whatwasthere.com/browse.aspx#/ll/53.34410399999999,-6.267493699999932/
    Check out the Harcourt St train crash pic!

P.S. Anyone know of any old pics of the Dublin docklands area, esp. the IFSC area from just before it's modern redevelopment?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

On Sunday I came across a short film on TG4 about the Howth tram.
    I've just done a bit of Googling and the film is called Once Upon A Tram and it was filmed in 1958/9.
    It can be viewed at Europa Film Treasures.
    From the website:
    The Howth Tram linked Dublin to the coastal towns of Howth Head from 1901 to 1959 ; although only 2 miles apart, Sutton and Howth were joined by 5 miles of tramway. Its double-decker, electric-powered trolley cars left from Sutton, making stops at the Geenfield Road, Carrickbrack Road, and St Fintan’s Cemetery stations. The tram passed by Baily and the Stella Maris Convent before arriving at Howth Summit.
    Due to restructuring of the Irish transport service, the line (the last in Ireland) was closed on the 31st May 1959 and replaced by buses that were not as functional on the steep, narrow streets.
    Once Upon a Tram was filmed a few years later, just before the tracks disappeared. It takes us on a ghost ride like a final tribute. One of the Howth Tram cars is now on display at the Irish National Transport Museum in Howth Castel, near what was once the last stop of the tramway line.
    The film was shot in 16mm Kodachrome, very used for its color accuracy and dark-storage longevity. The beginning scenes shot in 35mm black-and-white were added later, with the idea of a showing at the Cork Film Festival in 1960. For financial reasons, the producers were unable to make a 35mm sound copy.
    In 1997, the Irish Film Archives came into possession of a 16mm internegative, printed from the original 16mm Kodachrome and the 35mm negative of the black-and-white footage, when a laboratory was liquidating its film stock. The producers’ initial aim to make a colour sound copy finally became a reality.
    The soundtrack of the black-and-white element was slowed and remixed with the optical soundtrack of the 16mm copy of the colour footage. The two elements were then combined and reworked to create the final 16mm optical sound colour copy. The work was carried out by Film and Photo Ltd in London.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Custom House 1930s.

customhouse1930s.jpg

Upper Rutland Street 1950s.

Rutland20St-1.jpg

Bolton Street (1970s?)

boltonst.jpg

1962.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Photo of Marrowbone Lane, that's my Granda's first car, he had a chipper the other side of the road.

6015118861_a7fb2fcdaf_b.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks like the street leading to the Basin.... Blessington St?

where-4.jpg

Strange not to see a policeman.....

ocs.jpg

Many a time I got that GNR bus home from that same bus stop.

edenquay.jpg

Corpus Christi procession along West Road, East Wall. (1960s?)

corpuschristiwestrdeastwall.jpg

ticket.jpg

looking at the two young lads who aren't suited up I wouldn't say it was the 60's?

looking at the two young lads who aren't suited up I wouldn't say it was the 60's?

Well your guess would be as good as mine.

From the hair cut, printed t-shirt and white trainer's on the little lad in front plus the small wheels on a babies buggy near the back I get the impression this is more 1980's or early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Current location

351e2c0.png

The train signal is visible if you move down a street a bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 henrymaguire

I was looking for some info on Kennedy's bakery and came accross your query. Do you know if Kennedy's ever had a bakery or yard in Bow Lane.

Regards
    Henry

Advertisement