Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

dylbert wrote: »
    Photo of Marrowbone Lane, that's my Granda's first car, he had a chipper the other side of the road.

6015118861_a7fb2fcdaf_b.jpg

Lovely Dutch Billys there.. was on Marrowbone Lane today recylcing some stuff.. Nothing left there now, not even the cobbles (which survived until very recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Lovely Dutch Billys there.. was on Marrowbone Lane today recylcing some stuff.. Nothing left there now, not even the cobbles (which survived until very recently)

I found this watercolour and photo of the same part of the lane.

A5.jpg
    http://www.myantiques.ie/listings/arts-and-sculpture/flora-h-mitchell-1890-1973/600191

attachment.php?attachmentid=31480&d=1255535339
    http://www.dublin.ie/forums/album.php?albumid=402&attachmentid=31480

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 leojake

Hi does any body out there remember the house on the roundabout i know he moved across the road i think it might have been late sixtys or early seventies

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Kears

Hi I Worked in kearns butchers from 1972-1987 when it closed, Great Memories, Peter.David and Paddy Kearns were the owners Paddy and Peter Died,I Dont know what David went on to do,I To am looking for any photos of kearns Butchers of Parnell St. if any one has any please let us know or upload them it would be great to see the old place again....Great Memories working there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Kears wrote: »
    Hi I Worked in kearns butchers from 1972-1987 when it closed, Great Memories, Peter.David and Paddy Kearns were the owners Paddy and Peter Died,I Dont know what David went on to do,I To am looking for any photos of kearns Butchers of Parnell St. if any one has any please let us know or upload them it would be great to see the old place again....Great Memories working there.

Joe Russel was the messenger boy, and is now one of my neighbours.

I remember a Dublin character in the late 50s/early 60s who, if he needed a bed for the night broke the plate glass window and then sat on the footpath to await the arrival of the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

dylbert wrote: »

I know they turned to slums, and I know there was a need for more modern housing, but imagine a Dublin with these buildings still in place. Most of the Georgian city was once like this (and indeed many of our most recognisable later Georgian buildings are indeed these buildings, refaced and remodelled). We'd have a UNESCO world heritage site on our hands instantly.. And to think all the damage was done AFTER we got our independence, and iindeed, in the case of Longford St (Off Auinger St) as recent as the 60's and 70's.....

There's a great Dutch Billy thread on Archiseek, and I believe, a book in the making by one of it's posters, that explains all...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Shamelessly stolen from today's thread of the day, a drive though Dublin of the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Rashers wrote: »
    I remember a Dublin character in the late 50s/early 60s who, if he needed a bed for the night broke the plate glass window and then sat on the footpath to await the arrival of the gardai.

Sounds similar to what Joe Edelstein used to do.
    It was said that if Edelstein was unable to find a bed for the night, he would use the fire alarm to get the attention of the fire services. For the offence of improper use of the alarm, Joe would thus spend a night in a cell. The story goes that Joe would be dropped off to the police station by the fire services, and responding to such calls in ‘Little Jerusalem’ was refered to among firemen as “Joe Edelstein’s alarm”.

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/going-to-answer-joe-edelsteins-alarm/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ2rMwPZ750

ballybough 1978 - the father-in-law knew a good few of these heads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Wonder how many of those guys are still around. Most of them would be in their fifties now if still alive.

iMax wrote: »
    Wonder how many of those guys are still around. Most of them would be in their fifties now if still alive.

well, according to the FIL, one of them died from a drug overdose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Heh, what do you think the average lifespan is in Ireland?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Some old pics and postcards of Dun Laoghaire Harbour:

card00667_fr.jpg

Co20Dublin20Dun20Laoghaire20Holyhead20to20Dun20Laoghaire20British20Railways20Mailboat20-20Ferry20Cambria201960s.jpg

carlislepierdunlaoghair.jpg

Carlisle-Pier-Dun-Laoghaire.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre, circa 1980's.

Dun_Laoghaire-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Gaspode wrote: »
    Shamelessly stolen from today's thread of the day, a drive though Dublin of the 1980s.

Was St. Stephen's Green not pedestrianised in the late '70s?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No, in the late 80s if my memory serves me correctly.

Gaspode wrote: »
    No, in the late 80s if my memory serves me correctly.

I think you're wrong. I was born in '81 and don't ever recall it not being pedestrianised. There were huge queues for Switzers around then. It must have been earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

According to this article in the Independent, it was pedestrianised in 1979.

Heh, what do you think the average lifespan is in Ireland?

The film was shot a couple of years before heroin destroyed the area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It was pedestrianised in '79 but not paved until the early eighties from what I can gather.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Kevin Freeney Dublin Signwriter: A Gentleman Of Letters

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Great stuff. This one:http://www.flickr.com/photos/gentlemanofletters/3882304074/in/set-72157622093652559/,brings back memories. My ma' & da' brought me to see TESB at the Ambassador in 1980 when i was 6.:)

brilliant, my great grandfather was a sign writer in dublin at the turn of the century

This is a brilliant site: What Was There

There's sites all over the world, but 40+ in Dublin where there's very old photos submitted which if you slide the green slider will reveal what it's like today. Absolutely fascinating & a real timesuck site.

I think they've been had on this linked one however as I'm almost sure that's a publicity still from "Michael Collins" after being aged

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

This is a brilliant site: What Was There

There's sites all over the world, but 40+ in Dublin where there's very old photos submitted which if you slide the green slider will reveal what it's like today. Absolutely fascinating & a real timesuck site.

I think they've been had on this linked one however as I'm almost sure that's a publicity still from "Michael Collins" after being aged

Hmmm, was there ever a street that faced directly onto the GPO like that?

The set was like that & if I remember correctly they released a few publicity shots with the GPO "lit".

The mansion house was the opposite end of the "street".

Nearly 100% sure it's a publicity shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

mambo wrote: »
    Seems a bit strange alright. A map of the tramlines from the same era dosen't show any street with tracks curving into it directly across from the GPO.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

mambo wrote: »

Indeed.

Discuss here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056375849

• Advertisement

This might have been posted already but it's got some great footage of Dublin down the years. It's In Flags Or Flitters from 1991.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glhlTizC53o

Advertisement