Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

http://www.euscreen.eu/search.html?q=ireland

just discovered this site..a mate posted a video of the punks from 1989 on it and it has lots of nostaligic vids!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shegull

This is my first bash at uploading so apologies if it does not go right. Anyone guess where this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Shegull wrote: »
    This is my first bash at uploading so apologies if it does not go right. Anyone guess where this is?

Milltown?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Shegull wrote: »

Conyngham Road. On the Phoenix Park side of the road above where the railway tunnel begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shegull

lord lucan wrote: »
    Conyngham Road. On the Phoenix Park side of the road above where the railway tunnel begins.

Is the correct answer -I can see I am going to have to work a lot harder to catch you out :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Nice try, have to get up early to catch these lads out! I think though Shegull you should be posting those in the Dublin Picture Game thread rather than this one, this is more for old pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Degsy wrote: »
    http://www.euscreen.eu/search.html?q=ireland

just discovered this site..a mate posted a video of the punks from 1989 on it and it has lots of nostaligic vids!

That site has some gems. I yoinked this from one of the videos.

6808245480_2aa413467b_z.jpg

You can probably tell where it is if you're from North Dublin. It's from 1975.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Upper Drumcondra Road

From May 2009

195214.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Wasn't there one in Coolock also? Were they part of a chain?

I'm not too sure. 'twas before my time. A few more bits and bobs.

6811384144_b012ab08f3_z.jpg

6811384340_508e17ee20_z.jpg

• Advertisement

6811384340_508e17ee20_z.jpg
    The beautifully ornate Irish House pub on Wood Quay demolished in the 1970's to make way for the Corpo Offices

I'm not too sure. 'twas before my time. A few more bits and bobs.

6811384144_b012ab08f3_z.jpg

Any dates for that one?

I'm sure this aerial was posted before in this thread.
    Aerial photo of Whitehall (Collins Ave) pre 1942 as Whitehall Church is not yet built.
    You can easily make out the building here.

195350.jpg

Any dates for that one?

I'm sure this aerial was posted before in this thread.
    Aerial photo of Whitehall (Collins Ave) pre 1942 as Whitehall Church is not yet built.
    You can easily make out the building here.

195350.jpg

Would anyone have any high quality images of The Irish House or are they in any books? I'd love to have a print of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

Terenure 1980s? (Green buses)
    ter.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Wasn't there one in Coolock also? Were they part of a chain?

There was one in Ballyfermot also,The one here used to be a liptons supermarket then 5 star then I forget :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There was one in Kilbarrack too, I think which later became Gubay's.

Would anyone have any high quality images of The Irish House or are they in any books? I'd love to have a print of it.
    There's a 1964 picture of it from a slightly different angle in Elinor Wiltshire's book "If ever you go to Dublin Town" (Published by National Library). The text beneath reads:

"The Irish House on Wood Quay at the corner of Winetavern Street was built in 1870. The facade was decorated with Celtic revival and nationalist subjects by stuccodores Burnet and Comerford. It was demolished in the mid 1960s* to make way for the Civic Offices. The plaster figures were transferred to the Guinness Museum."

(* I incorrectly said earlier that it was demolished in the 1970s.)

There's a 1964 picture of it from a slightly different angle in Elinor Wiltshire's book "If ever you go to Dublin Town" (Published by National Library). The text beneath reads:

"The Irish House on Wood Quay at the corner of Winetavern Street was built in 1870. The facade was decorated with Celtic revival and nationalist subjects by stuccodores Burnet and Comerford. It was demolished in the mid 1960s* to make way for the Civic Offices. The plaster figures were transferred to the Guinness Museum."

(* I incorrectly said earlier that it was demolished in the 1970s.)

There's a good exhibition on it (including many of the sculpted figures) in the Dublin Civic Trust on Castle Street

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

The beautifully ornate Irish House pub on Wood Quay demolished in the 1970's to make way for the Corpo Offices

I think the doors from the pub ended up with the Dublin Civic Trust and are on view in their place on Castle Street...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

DominoDub wrote: »
    Found these today on a Russian Site ...Ireland around 1932-1935. Dublin , Wicklow, Tralee & Limerick.
    Fantastic pictures Dub - do you have a link?

Genealogy Forum Mod

dring wrote: »
    Terenure 1980s? (Green buses)
    ter.jpg

If anyone was wondering. The large 'factory' style building in the middle was the old Tram depot back in the day. Now soon to be an Aldi or Lidl or something

Also, spot the old Handball Court somewhere in the picture

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Also, spot the old Handball Court
    At the back of Brady's (right-hand side, half-way down). The structure is still there and visible from Brady's beer garden.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If anyone was wondering. The large 'factory' style building in the middle was the old Tram depot back in the day. Now soon to be an Aldi or Lidl or something
    I was wondering - thanks for that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Irish House makes a great backdrop to this fab pic:

attachment.php?attachmentid=59659&d=1294310412

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is another tram depot up behind bank of ireland. not visible in the photo though

Some lovely photos of Dublin in the '80s http://www.retronaut.co/2012/02/dublin-inner-city-1980s/

Amazing photos of Dublin in the 1890s http://www.retronaut.co/2010/06/girl-on-a-tricycle-ireland-1900/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Those photos from the 1890s are remarkable - most unusual for the time.

• Advertisement

Some lovely photos of Dublin in the '80s http://www.retronaut.co/2012/02/dublin-inner-city-1980s/

Amazing photos of Dublin in the 1890s http://www.retronaut.co/2010/06/girl-on-a-tricycle-ireland-1900/

If I could thank twice I would.

Bored in work....

196624.jpg

196625.PNG

196626.PNG

196627.PNG

196629.PNG

Advertisement