Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

http://www.rte.ie/tv50/galleryarchive.html

00061cca-970.jpg
    Women queue at a bus stop in Dublin, September 1971. Know what street it is? Let us know on Facebook, or maybe upload a photo of it now.

Anyone know the street??

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

I stand to be corrected but I think it's Grafton Street. There was a shop called Cummiskey towards the Stephen's Green end back in the day. I'm not sure if there was more than one at any point and it would correspond with 37 Grafton St in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

37 Grafton st is about half way up on the left, wrong side of the street as the stops were on the other side.

Prussia st?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

A few more Dublin pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

old photos of Dublin Zoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 billya

flynnc8 wrote: »
    poor3.jpg

ha ha, ya dont see crowds like that anymore.....

45%2520grafton%2520st.gif&usg=AFQjCNG7RgjpHX-VqkPUHwBo-LuHHXjUew

Can anyone guess where this is?
    Grafton st Cummiskeys shop across the road was known as a cut price before supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

May be worth checking out this exhibition, closes end of Aug
    Gallery of Photography Ireland and Galerie m Bochum are delighted to present the Irish premiere of the work of Evelyn Hofer (1922–2009). At the heart of this specially curated exhibition are Hofer’s beautiful and considered photographs made during her visit to Dublin in 1966. In colour and black and white, the work captures Ireland at the tipping point between an older, more conservative culture and the emerging modern world.

http://www.galleryofphotography.ie/exhibitions/hofer.html

mambo wrote: »
    May be worth checking out this exhibition, closes end of Aug

Hello Mambo will check that out also the Wiltshire collection is in the National Library pictures of life in Dublin 50 60s told they were in storage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Just a general question, does anyone know what picture or set of pictures are the earliest ones of Dublin City??? I'm trying to find some pictures of Moore Street and Dublin inner city around the 1850's-1900's...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 feekc

If anyone has any old photos of scanlans pub or killans (The Honey Pot), the Rose Bowl all in parnell street could they show them. If theres any of the tenament houses in Gardiner Street they'd be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

feekc wrote: »
    If anyone has any old photos of scanlans pub or killans (The Honey Pot), the Rose Bowl all in parnell street could they show them. If theres any of the tenament houses in Gardiner Street they'd be much appreciated.

Some of the tenements here: http://www.dublin1850.com/old_and_new.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Just a general question, does anyone know what picture or set of pictures are the earliest ones of Dublin City??? I'm trying to find some pictures of Moore Street and Dublin inner city around the 1850's-1900's...

Have you tried the National Photographic Archive http://www.nli.ie/en/vt/online-tour-of-the-national-photographic-archive.aspx in Temple Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

feekc wrote: »

Here's all I can help with:

Watching a tenement on fire in Lr Gardiner St. 1938. The lightly coloured building to the right is Waterford St (now gone)

WatchingatenementhousefireGardinerSt1938.jpg

Lower Gardiner St again. The building over on the left was Rafters pawn office. This picture was taken in 1940

LrGardinerSt1940RaftersPawnacrosstheroa.jpg

More up to date now. Lr Gardiner St in 1980. The street is traffic free because the residents were holding a protest at the junction with Sean Mc Dermot St. Shaws old shop can be seen at the left and the house I spend some of my young childhood in is the one past Shaws on the other side of the lane (which led to Rutland St school).

LrGardinerSt1980.jpg

Rashers wrote: »
    Who remembers.... or even knows where it was?

the-fun-palace.jpg

that,s on burgh quay the so called fun palace is a one arm bandit place the news agents still has the same front

flynnc8 wrote: »
    Is it also on Dorset Street.. the curve in the road looks kinda similar... The tallest Building on the left would be little Kavanaghs, If I'm right?

that,s the top of aungier st where that picture was taken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

apologies if this was posted before, but just came across this on youtube

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hadn't seen that before.
    Footage of the Abbey Theatre on Pearse Street very interesting.

That,s great footage of the CIE training Film 1965 ex Dublin Bus driver of 30 yrs never seen it very good

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

The most interesting thing that i noticed about that Video is that in the 60s Angelsea street had a tarmac surface and nowadays its cobbles.

Driving by where is now the Dublin City council as well as where the Central bank is nowadays was cool to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Yea I thought it was really interesting to see what was there before The Central Bank. Has anybody got any good photos on this? I'm a long time lurker on this thread just never had anything interesting enough to post:o
    Great thread though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Mynamehere wrote: »
    The most interesting thing that i noticed about that Video is that in the 60s Angelsea street had a tarmac surface and nowadays its cobbles.

Yeah, and the amount of early gabled (Dutch Billy) houses with gibbs doorways that are no longer there, that once lined the north end of the street. I think I prefered Temple Bar as a 'working' district, with traffic and buses - it had a more authentic feel and not the pastiche we have now. Is the pub on the corner, just as the bus turns onto Angelsea St the now 'Auld Dubliner?'

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Yea I thought it was really interesting to see what was there before The Central Bank. Has anybody got any good photos on this? I'm a long time lurker on this thread just never had anything interesting enough to post:o
    Great thread though

I have a photo somewhere of the block that was demolished to make way for the Central Bank (I don't like taking it out tbh, it depresses me slightly) but I'll try find it

The most moving thing about this video is the two way traffic on a still relatively intact Winetavern street (leading up to the arch at Chirstchurch). This area should be our 'cathedral quarter' but unfortunately is now a busy one-way traffic route with little or now sense of place, streetscape or regard for pedestrians - but of course, I'm threading very old ground here and let's not even mention Wood Quay and the loss of the Irish House.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Several pics of O'Connell Bridge from the superlative brandnewretro.ie http://brandnewretro.ie/2012/09/02/oconnell-bridge-dublin-various-pics-1960s-to-1990s/

Would anyone have pictures of the Hayes, Conyngham Robinson chemist in Baggot Street back in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Several pics of O'Connell Bridge from the superlative brandnewretro.ie http://brandnewretro.ie/2012/09/02/oconnell-bridge-dublin-various-pics-1960s-to-1990s/

Picture number 3 is very much how i remember the city as a kid. Wet,grey but yet with a certain character. You can even just make out the old Texaco clock on the corner of Middle Abbey St/O'Connell St,something i'd completely forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Love the first b/w one, showing the guys giving their lady-friends lifts, one on the crossbar of his bike, and the other on the back of his moped. And the moped driver is smoking a pipe! Why don't you see moped drivers with pipes these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

For those on Facebook give "Growing up in The Liberties" a like, quality pictures been uploaded since it was set up.

Rashers wrote: »
    Slightly OT but here's the first ever episode and there's more on YouTube.

To stay on topic... no one's guessed my last pic yet, so maybe more luck with this one from 1952?

1952-1.jpg

picture with top of aungier st coming from the georges st the pub on thr corner
    was lynchs known as dirty dicks beside that the skibo chipper

Has anyone posted 1900s pictures of Rathmines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Jean T

I think this might the the lane off Thomas Street very near to the Vicar Street Venue nearly Opp Johns Lane Church. It is still there and the bollard is still at the entrance to the lane.:)

Advertisement