Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jean T

I think this is a lane off Thomas St in Dublin 8. It is near to the entrance of The Vicar St Venue and almost opposite Thomas St church. The bollard at the entrance is still there. JeanT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I liked the old busses . They should bring em back:) Look better than the really modern looking dublin busses we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dohertyg

arasay wrote: »
    Hi can anyone out there remember the area between 1920 & late 30's - I'm trying to trace a family of Bradleys that lived in courtney place / poplar row -

My Grand Parents were Bradley's from 2 Courtney Place which was next store to Roches Pub. Most of my family were born there up and until 1958 when we moved to Artane.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Hill Street Playground history.. THeres an interesting link for the north inner city people.. Always wondered what the tower was and how old.

http://www.ucd.ie/archaeology/documentstore/hc_reports/lod/Hill_Street_final.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kweeva

Hey all!

Just trying to do a bit of research on The Aungier House pub (the old, abandoned building opposite DIT Aungier street) for a college project. If any of you have any information on the pub or if you used to go there and have any stories from your time spent there, please feel free to share! Any details would be greatly appreciated! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Mynamehere

http://www.facebook.com/RareIrishStuff

Some great old photos on this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

rlH0gh.jpg

Not a photo but a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Dublin from the Circular Road (North?)

x9Qrf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

rlH0gh.jpg

Not a photo but a map.
    A photo of a map. Its cool thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

My Great-Grandparants used to own a shop called Nelsons on City Quay, number 19, iirc it was only demolished in the 1960's for re-development, where Matthews carpets is to-day at the corner of City Quay and Princes Street South, I'd love to see a photo if anyone comes across one, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

16k58wy.jpg
    From 1968, this is an advert from New Spotlight magazine for the Wimpy Restaurant at 50 Lr Dorset St, Dublin 1. Across the road from the Big Tree pub. See Phil Lynott? He was 18 when this was taken.

https://www.facebook.com/RareIrishStuff

Quality pic.
    Phil with Pat Egan and John Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Very interesting post Standard Toaster (and from the year I was born!). I love looking at adverts from the 60's/70's. I've a few that I must post myself.

(I thought the 6 digit telephone numbers came in the late 70's?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Very interesting post Standard Toaster (and from the year I was born!). I love looking at adverts from the 60's/70's. I've a few that I must post myself.

(I thought the 6 digit telephone numbers came in the late 70's?)

No, our number was six digits in the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

No, our number was six digits in the 1960s.

We had 6 digits in Marino in the mid '60s. But I was working in Baggot St in 1974 and the office had 5 digit phone numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hi there,

Someone from After Hours is looking to see what/where this buidling was. It's being demolished at the start of the clip. Anyone know it? Thanks...

http://youtu.be/glhlTizC53o?t=28m21s

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

It was on Lower Baggot St / corner of Pembroke Row. Church, cant remember the name. Knocked down around 1970. Site was vacant for years and then became the Bord na Mona HQ. Railings still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

Fair play, I believe you're right! I can definitely see the same railings in the video and in Google Maps for that corner. Thanks...

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

BowWow wrote: »
    It was on Lower Baggot St / corner of Pembroke Row. Church, cant remember the name. Knocked down around 1970. Site was vacant for years and then became the Bord na Mona HQ. Railings still there.

Madness to demolish such a beautiful neo-classical building.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66714&stc=1&d=1301516901

Its in the background of this shot. Definitely where Bow Wow says it was. Well done.

Pal wrote: »
    Madness to demolish such a beautiful neo-classical building.

Tut, surely you prefer the delicious brutalist architecture that replaced this and many of our Georgian houses - and will certainly replace the historic Georgian terrace on Moore Street if the mooted giant shopping mall is built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 billya

BowWow wrote: »
    The church on Baggot st lower was the Christian Scientists I think worked around that area in the late 60s ordinary people lived around there that time

billya wrote: »
    the late 60s ordinary people lived around there that time

as opposed to the unusual ones that live there now ? :D

Anyways, I found this snippet on politics.ie :

"The Christian Science Library on Baggot Street was pulled down over a bank holiday weekend and concerned citizens who saw the beginning of the demolition were unable to contact anyone from Dublin Corporation, by the time the staff returned after the bank holiday weekend it was too late. "

credit to poster 'expose the lot of them' (whoever you may be)

GerryNangles1968.jpg

111_Gerry_Nangles1.jpg

195_Gerry_Nangles.jpg

SummerhillRutlandStreet061112.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

From the Rare Irish Stuff FB group

227503.jpg

227504.jpg
    Rudge Bike shop, Cross Arms and snooker hall down the left. Phibsboro Shopping Centre in background.

Benburb Street had class once: this is an ad from 1915 (Thom's Directory) for an indoor equestrian academy.

photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61713504@N07/7893105264/in/photostream

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Posted on Broadsheet.ie today.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Ah, the wanton destruction of Cork Street - another victim of unnecessary road widening projects during the 70's/80's.

I remember hearing that up to 60% of the historic fabric of Dublin (mainly Georgian and even pre-Georgian buildings) that stood up until the 1960's, has now disappeared. It's a shocking stat and thoroughly reflective of our total lack of responsibility and respect for our amazing heritage.

I often walk around town with a heavy heart, looking at poorly advised social housing, big imposing traffic junctions and unsympathetic modern interventions and wonder what might have been.

Dublin could (and should) have been a world heritage site, but instead it's a glaring reminder of how we destroyed the place.

There's still some wonderful areas, but they're often ruined by the presence of bad ideas - such as our two famous cathedrals, both literally flanked by dual carriageways and nondescript apartment buildings

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Ah, the wanton destruction of Cork Street - another victim of unnecessary road widening projects during the 70's/80's
    Er,....it ain't Cork Street. It's the junction of Summerhill and Rutland Street ;)...but I agree with your sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Benburb Street had class once: this is an ad from 1915 (Thom's Directory) for an indoor equestrian academy.

photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61713504@N07/7893105264/in/photostream

Well before the LUAS, there was a fierce amount of riding going on around there, if what I have heard and read can be believed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭highdef

Dancor wrote: »

Posted on Broadsheet.ie today.

Brilliant!

Advertisement