Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

ollaetta wrote: »
    This one is really puzzling me. The only Liffey bridge with lattice work is Grattan Bridge and it's not there. Anyone got any ideas?

Actually looks like Cork to me.............

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Red Cow Lane, Smithfield c.1970

230567.jpg

230568.jpg
    Red Cow Lane, Smithfield c.2009
    I think the chimney in the B&W pic was for maguire and patterson,behind the camera on the right was one of the last pig farms in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BowWow wrote: »
    I was thinking that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Could be. I found it in an online archive with no other details so it might be misattributed to Dublin. I couldn't figure out where it was anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

You wouldn't see lads standing up to the authorities like that down in Cork! :cool: It's definitely a pic of Dublin, looks like Parkgate area, it's a 1913 riot pic, how would it involve Cork?

• Advertisement

You wouldn't see lads standing up to the authorities like that down in Cork! :cool: It's definitely a pic of Dublin, looks like Parkgate area, it's a 1913 riot pic, how would it involve Cork?

It was dated 1920 in the source. Have you seen the pic before in the context of 1913?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I've taken the liberty of posting the picture in the Cork city forum to see if any posters recognise the location.

Has to be somewhere there were Trams - Cork, Dublin or Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

That's what you think bai! :)
    vektarman wrote: »
    I've taken the liberty of posting the picture in the Cork city forum to see if any posters recognise the location.

Saw your post, I'm pretty sure this is the same location, the bridge is identical.

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/mapsimages/corkphotographs/corkcameraclubhistoricalphotos/cityhallandalbertquaycork/city_hall_albert_quay_cork.pdf

@ Jason...well spotted.

• Advertisement

So, as you look at picture, City Hall is on your left and that's Sth Mall over on the right?

Now we've that mystery solved can anyone explain the mystery of the wandering chimney stack of Smithfield? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Would this be it approx?

http://goo.gl/maps/jYhkb

8227899918_43fab3f0c5_b.jpg

230974.png

Buildings in the center-right look very similar....windows & chimneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Would this be it approx?

Yup, that's the spot. I'd love to know more about what the 'witch-hat' building if anyone has info.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

8227902892_d744851938_b.jpg

The Old Cattle Mart, Hanlon's Corner, NCR.

I lived close to here when I was very young. It was quite confusing for a 5 year-old city boy. Most of the time you'd be playing out on a typical urban street then, every so often, the place would be overrun by cattle :-)

Lemo wrote: »
    I lived close to here when I was very young. It was quite confusing for a 5 year-old city boy. Most of the time you'd be playing out on a typical urban street then, every so often, the place would be overrun by cattle :-)
    I had the same experience on my school route as the cattle were unloaded at the railway depot at Cabra and used the streets to the cattle market just as I left for school, I was so terrified I had to run into peoples driveways and close the gate behind me and hope that the cows wouldn't jump over the gate!

and hope that the cows wouldn't jump over the gate!
    Showing you ignorance of agri matters there vektarman! :)

Cows are generally fairly sedate and tame as they would have been milked twice a day and used to being "handled". They are also less likely to be transported and they are not generally used for "beef".

What terrified you was probably bullocks and heifers fattened for slaughter/export on the hoof and much wilder in nature compared to cows. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Showing you ignorance of agri matters there vektarman! :)

Cows are generally fairly sedate and tame as they would have been milked twice a day and used to being "handled". They are also less likely to be transported and they are not generally used for "beef".

What terrified you was probably bullocks and heifers fattened for slaughter/export on the hoof and much wilder in nature compared to cows. ;)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/farmer-trampled-to-death-by-cow-3308015.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gasia

Anyone know the street?

0_844cc_e3d3b2dd_orig

That looks like one of the bridges crossing the Liffey - i.e.the doorways in the background would be one of the quays. The advertisement is for the "News of the World" newspaper.

• Advertisement

Here's an image which shows a urinal. It may be the same as what is shown in the top left of your pic. Possibly Grattan Bridge/Ormond Quay area.

All_human_life_is_there_News_of_the_World_Dublin.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The key to that picture is whatever that brick small building is, together with the bus stop. Bus stop locations, along with post boxes, don't change much over the years.
    For some reason the picture gives me a Charlemont Street or Berkeley Road vibe. I shall now root on Google Street view for a little bit.

Going by the registration of the van (EYI 20) the picture must have been taken after 1958.

spurious wrote: »
    The key to that picture is whatever that brick small building is
    It looks like one of those ESB facilities which are dotted around the city.

Would this be it approx?

http://goo.gl/maps/jYhkb

8227899918_43fab3f0c5_b.jpg

230974.png

Buildings in the center-right look very similar....windows & chimneys.

Do we know where the black & white pic above was taken yet? Where is the second (colour) pic of? I was going to say it looks like that area of the Quays heading out of town just outside Guinness's, just before Heuston Station.

Do we know where the black & white pic above was taken yet? Where is the second (colour) pic of? I was going to say it looks like that area of the Quays heading out of town just outside Guinness's, just before Heuston Station.
    I twas taken in Cork (see Cork City Forum). The colour pic is the location today.

Gasia wrote: »
    Anyone know the street?

0_844cc_e3d3b2dd_orig

That looks like a picture of Synnott Place if taken across the road from Dorset Street, the building in the middle of the road is shown on the OSI historical map below.
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,715670,735720,7,9

More of a clue is a more recent photo showing where the 'Red Corner Shop' was,
    if you compare the two photos and count along the first floor windows they both match where they meet the half granite building which is the next matching building..137-Red-Corner-Shop.preview.jpg

Here's a better view.
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.359047,-6.262046&spn=0.009656,0.027874&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.359047,-6.262046&panoid=aP1NCIRkCUcqkBnCmcB9Vg&cbp=12,315,,0,0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

off topic posts deleted, can we keep it on topic please

I twas taken in Cork (see Cork City Forum). The colour pic is the location today.

I didn't think they had a tramline in Cork in those days, but I just Googled and it seemed that they did...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Gasia

That looks like a picture of Synnott Place if taken across the road from Dorset Street, the building in the middle of the road is shown on the OSI historical map below.
    http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,715670,735720,7,9

More of a clue is a more recent photo showing where the 'Red Corner Shop' was,
    if you compare the two photos and count along the first floor windows they both match where they meet the half granite building which is the next matching building..137-Red-Corner-Shop.preview.jpg

Here's a better view.
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=53.359047,-6.262046&spn=0.009656,0.027874&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.359047,-6.262046&panoid=aP1NCIRkCUcqkBnCmcB9Vg&cbp=12,315,,0,0

I think you are right.Thank you very much.

Advertisement