Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Meltdown' after newsreader's fit of the giggles

Options
  • 29-03-2008 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭

'Meltdown' after newsreader's fit of the giggles . 29/3/08

BBC Radio 4 newsreader Charlotte Green's famously steadfast composure on the Today programme deserted her today as she dissolved in a fit of giggles live on air while reading an obituary - sending the press office into meltdown.

She lost control after playing a clip of the oldest known recording of the human voice.

Presenter James Naughtie intervened as she struggled to tell listeners about the death of screenwriter Abby Mann.

"I'm afraid I just lost it, I was completely ambushed by the giggles," said Green.

She admitted a similar giggling fit besieged her about 10 years ago, also on the Today programme.

"I did feel slightly embarrassed, knowing I have this reputation that I am prone to getting the giggles," she said.

"People have been very sweet and everyone has been coming up to me said how much it has cheered up their Friday morning."

Today's editor, Ceri Thomas, said most listeners who contacted the show had commented on "how much they had enjoyed the moment".

He added: "When Charlotte loses it, she really loses it."

Green's hysterical outburst started after a studio member remarked that the recording of a woman singing the French song Clair de Lune, made in 1860, played, sounded like a "bee buzzing in a bottle".

Later on in the programme Green's fit of the giggles was repeated as presenter Ed Stourton remarked they had been besieged with calls begging them to play it again.

"Apparently the BBC press office is in meltdown with calls about it," he said.

"We hope that the family of Abby Mann will understand that it obviously wasn't intended as any slight towards him."

Listen to it here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X7FV_rGKig&feature=related

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Thought it'd be better. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I liked it. I find laughter totally infectious. Listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzKcrHC-6s

Elvis comes apart with laughter while performing Are You Lonesome Tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I seen the Elvis one before, I used to think he was putting it on though but I think the Charlotte Green one is a good one, how embarrassing for her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I remember when i first heard elvis cracking up with laughter singing a song live in concert and i remember thinking how sad cuz it sounded like a man who on the verge of a breakdown .

Listening to him now via you tube sounds like he's just having fun

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Someone giggling while talking about the recently deceased it kinda funny, but that version of clare de lune is hilarious. It sounds like a crazy lady singing into a bottle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement