Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geographt 80 mark question

Options
  • 29-03-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question how long does that big 80 mark question have to be on the geography paper? Would two and a half pages be enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Usually for the biome ( geoecology) question they require you to deal with 3 aspects at 27 marks, 27 marks and 26 marks respectively to add up to the 80. This would mean you would state the aspect of the biome you have studied for 4 marks and give 8 SRPs at 2 marks each plus the overall cohesion mark which is marked out of 7 ( for 27 marks) or 6 for ( 26 marks ). Id say if you had 2 and a half good pages of relevant material which is not rubbish then you should be ok but getting down to 3 pages would be better. As long as you have the required amount of SRPs then the examiner must give you the marks.

However, as my teacher told us about the 2007 paper they required you to deal with soil as an adapation Describe how plant and animal life adapt to soil and climatic conditions in a biome which
    you have studied.
    This meant you had to include soil in your 3 aspects or use it as an additional aspect, so you would be treating the question as 4 aspects at 20 marks, 20 marks, 20 marks and 20 marks. This ****ed up a lot of students as the highest mark they got in the question was 60/80 because they hadnt soil covered and this reduced the A rate significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

Ye around 3 pages ..... of course it depends on the content. You need 35 SRPs @ 2 marks each + 10 marks for the overall cohesion. If you get 35 good points you will get the marks!!

louis626 wrote: »
    Ye around 3 pages ..... of course it depends on the content. You need 35 SRPs @ 2 marks each + 10 marks for the overall cohesion. If you get 35 good points you will get the marks!!

But you have to treat them as seperate aspects ( i.e climate, flora adaptation, fauna adaptation ). Thats 8 SRPs for each topic making it 24 SRPS in total if treating 3 aspects, where are you getting 35 from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

JSK 252 wrote: »
    But you have to treat them as seperate aspects ( i.e climate, flora adaptation, fauna adaptation ). Thats 8 SRPs for each topic making it 24 SRPS in total if treating 3 aspects, where are you getting 35 from?
    Because it's worth 80 marks.

35 x 2 = 70.
    10 Overall.

70 + 10 = 80.

Yea thats true you do need to split the points up fairly evenly on each aspect you deal with but you need a total of 35 SRPs @ 2 marks each

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

I think geography is extremely difficult to work out. I've heard it depends on the examiner to what they consider an SRP? Is this true? Or are there strict marking schemes?

I guess it eliminates waffling: Supports swots, hinders lazy people.

..just the way I like it..:D

Timans wrote: »
    Because it's worth 80 marks.

35 x 2 = 70.
    10 Overall.

70 + 10 = 80.

Its not 10 for overall. You must treat 3 or 4 aspects in your answer and each aspect has a SEPERATE overall cohesion. i.e 6 marks/ 7 marks for 3 aspects at 27, 27, 26 or 4 marks for 4 aspects at 20,20,20,20

For example. Question on the biome:

Number of aspects: 3 (27 + 27 + 26) OR (4 @ 20 marks each)
    Identifying aspect of adaptation: 4 marks OR 4 marks ( depending on number of aspects)
    Examination: 8 x SRPs OR 6x SRPs ( depending on number of aspects)
    Overall coherence: 7/6 marks graded OR 4 marks graded ( depending on number of aspects )

I know this not just from marking schemes but because my teacher is an advising examiner in the subject and told my class that. The overall cohesion mark is only applicable to the biome question as they obolished the overall cohesion mark for the physical, regional and elective quesions because teachers werent marking it properly.

I know this not just from marking schemes but because my teacher is an advising examiner in the subject and told my class that. The overall cohesion mark is only applicable to the biome question as they obolished the overall cohesion mark for the physical, regional and elective quesions because teachers werent marking it properly.

Fair enough, I was only going on what I was told.....

louis626 wrote: »
    Fair enough, I was only going on what I was told.....

Oh no I didnt mean it like that! Sorry if I sounded like an arsehole.:D;)

Advertisement