Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MIG welders

Options
  • 29-03-2008 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Is there a specific brand that's the best?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

It really depends on what you want to do so it is best to do up ur wish list of requirements as say from
    http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/equipment.htm

and then go look as the people who make the top end industrial are not in the lower end

Clarke was always a good name when I was in UK in 70's but I dont know what they make now.

The other point now is the smaller but more expensive sizes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Yeah after checking about abit more clarke seem to make the best "hobby" or "diy" welders.

I'm going building this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Your-Own-Off-road-Buggy/dp/1859606423/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206829996&sr=8-1

I suppose a diy welder will be sound for this. I may look on the second hand market though to get more value for my money. ie. semi-professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Just watch the fumes etc which are an issue from all welders, not just the 'gasless' ones.
    Respect the safety issues/ and dont have any body looking at u work without full eye protection from the 'glare'

Outdoors on a windy day works best and dont weld in a wooden shed:)

In relation to second hand the risk u run is that if it has been used at the max for extended periods the windings on the trafo might be near their end date.

I would buy something that will work in the mid range of its spec while meeting your requirements as opposed to 'maxing' it out
    Over and out

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

would love to get a miller that they use on american chopper!! Dunnno do they sell em here.....support calls for a metalwork forum!!

Advertisement