Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Single Ladies in here?

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

thats the thing Zaph. . . You guys are so hard to find!!!

:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

ChewChew wrote: »
    Well Recliner. . . if you ever know of these guys who are nice & decent looking for a single 24 yo. . . you'll let me know, right?? ;)

You should be careful saying things like that, you will probably get a ton of PM's :D

Pop into BGRH and flirt with a few of the lads, you never know what might happen

There are plenty of nice single guys out there, they are probably a bit older than you though, girls are more mature than guys so it takes us simpletons a while to catch up :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

As a wise person once said ...

self-professed "nice guys" aren't nice, because kindness is not a preconceived action, it is a part of the personality of a person. For someone to call themselves nice means, almost without exception, that they are not nice--because they analyzed it, and that means it is not natural for them. No one openly brings up facts like "I open doors with my right hand" or "I tie the laces on my left shoe first" because they're not preconceived actions, they haven't been analyzed, they're natural responses to whatever triggers them. It's easy to spot people that are kind, and the people who say they're nice pretty much never are genuine in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

they are probably a bit older than you though, girls are more mature than guys so it takes us simpletons a while to catch up :D

+1

:D

Ooooh actually wait... Silverfish made a good point!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

thats the thing Zaph. . . You guys are so hard to find!!!

:(:(:(

Do you want me to PM directions from Celbridge to here? :D

TBH, it works both ways. Once you get past a certain age as a single guy women tend to wonder what's wrong with you that you're still single or wonder whether you really have a wife and 3 kids at home. That tends to make it difficult to break the ice, especially if you're a bit quiet or shy to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

But.. but.. I'm lovely and cuddly.

I suppose that's why I have Mrs. smasheyknowseverything!. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Silverfish, it's because of **** like that that "nice" has become a bad word rather than a compliment.

You could replace nice with most positive attributes in that little stupid rant and it would be as equally (in)valid.

People can be nice/kind/sweet/genuine without doing it for a reason or to manipulate the fairer sex and you know, if they get called it/complimented it enough - why wouldnt they accept that i may be true?

Silverfish wrote: »
    As a wise person once said ...

I would say a very cynical person but however let people believe what they will

People should be judged by their actions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Tragedy wrote: »
    The girls saying guys have it easier because they can go out on the prowl on their own:

The types of guys in who go on the prowl fullstop, nevermind on their own; are the types of guys you bitch about constantly.

Nice(and I do mean nice, not idiotic milksops who think fawning over girls will somehow make them attractive) guys do not go on the prowl.

In my experience single guys dont:
    Get a movie with other single male friends, have a few drinks and watch the movie at home
    Catch up over a coffee every few weeks
    Go to the cinema together(much)
    Do all the bonding stuff that girls do

A pint, watch the match and the odd house party. Thats it.

Okay, now I think there is something wrong with me and my friends :lol:

We are all single and do everything but the bonding stuff I guess.

I go over to my friends once every few weeks for a movie or to the cinema and although we don't go for a coffee, we do meet up for a meal and a pint at the weekend.
    I agree mostly with Tragedy here

I would like to think i am a nice guy, we do not prowl, far to shy for that so it is kind of our own fault that we can't meet nice girls

I know I'm way too shy for that craic. I usually meet girls by being introduced to them through other people. Once I get going, shutting me up is the trick :p but I'm no use at introducing myself to strangers just can't do it.

Could never do the going to the pub alone and just chatting to someone thing either. I think that's mostly because I'm not a big soccer fan. I love watching and appreciate a good goal but I don't support any English (or Irish) team. More of an International sports fan as I like watching my country play as its more interesting because I have someone to go for.

The only other time I think you can find sport really exciting is when you have money on it and I don't bet so that's that. If I had to say I follow something, its F1.

It's quite a cynical way of looking at it Silverfish, but I suppose there is merit to the point being made. The only thing about it is that it only works IRL. If some guy on Boards says he's a nice guy it's only because you're not there in front of him to make the judgement for yourself, and he's trying to make a point that not all guys are "bad". Not saying that there aren't necessarily some who wouldn't label themselves nice for more devious ends, but in the absence of any proof to the contrary you'll just have to take my word for it that I am a nice guy. No really, I am. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Zaph wrote: »

TBH, it works both ways. Once you get past a certain age as a single guy women tend to wonder what's wrong with you that you're still single

That happens regardless of age. Unfortunately, singledom is viewed as being a very negative thing. It's rarely considered that maybe a man/woman (particularily woman) actually chose to be single.

If I had a euro for the amount of times a guy has said "What's a gorgeous girl like yerself doing here without a date?", I'd be quitting college in the morning! :D

Naturally, if they see nothing wrong with your looks (and I'm not being cocky, I'm just speaking from experience) then they assume it's your personality! Or that you're still hung up on an ex or that you're a lesbian or... the list goes on...

And I'm only 19 Zaph! So all that stuff stands regardless. Granted, I can see that there is deffo added pressure when you are older! :)

It's quite a cynical way of looking at it Silverfish, but I suppose there is merit to the point being made. The only thing about it is that it only works IRL. If some guy on Boards says he's a nice guy it's only because you're not there in front of him to make the judgement for yourself, and he's trying to make a point that not all guys are "bad". Not saying that there aren't necessarily some who wouldn't label themselves nice for more devious ends, but in the absence of any proof to the contrary you'll just have to take my word for it that I am a nice guy. No really, I am. :)

Well, I'm just stating that in my years of experience, its always been true to me, someone banging on about how they're a 'nice guy' tends not to be.

If someone ELSE tells me 'soandso is a nice guy' I'll be more likely to believe it than them telling me themselves.

Well, I'm just stating that in my years of experience, its always been true to me, someone banging on about how they're a 'nice guy' tends not to be.

If someone ELSE tells me 'soandso is a nice guy' I'll be more likely to believe it than them telling me themselves.

I kind of agree with Zaph here

I wouldn't describe myself in person like I did in this thread. I was just trying ti illustrate a point that there are nice guys out there

Well, online people have to present themselves a bit differently.

I just find that people who advertise it too much in r/l generally aren't. Its someone telling me what they think they are, which in a lot of cases is not how other people would view them.

I just find that people who advertise it too much in r/l generally aren't. Its someone telling me what they think they are, which in a lot of cases is not how other people would view them.

I do agree, people who broadcast things about themselves in RL aren't generally the best judge of their own character

i hate talking about myself in RL so generally leave that up to other people

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In my experience single guys dont:
    Get a movie with other single male friends, have a few drinks and watch the movie at home
    Catch up over a coffee every few weeks
    Go to the cinema together(much)
    Do all the bonding stuff that girls do

A pint, watch the match and the odd house party. Thats it.

Are you taking the piss?

I do agree, people who broadcast things about themselves in RL aren't generally the best judge of their own character

i hate talking about myself in RL so generally leave that up to other people

And I see you're banned from flirting. I'll note that in the file here too.

Whats this flirting thing? There isn't a forum is there?

I agree, and that's why I said your comment only works in RL. It's no different to someone telling you how great they are because they have a huge salary, a big house or whatever. I want to make my own mind up about a person, I don't want them to tell me what I should think about them. Incidentally that's the same regardless of whether it's a woman or a man that I've met for the first time.

Whats this flirting thing? There isn't a forum is there?

His tagline. Under his username.

• Advertisement

That ban only applies to the bar in BGRH and is self imposed at the moment. It is a bad habit :D

Incidentally that's the same regardless of whether it's a woman or a man that I've met for the first time.

Yes but, the thread title is 'Any single ladies' and the forum is the 'Ladies lounge' so I was talking to, you know, the ladies.

Yes but, the thread title is 'Any single ladies' and the forum is the 'Ladies lounge' so I was talking to, you know, the ladies.

Nah, they don't care if I'm a nice guy or not over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Freshly dumped lady here. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Are you taking the piss?
    Nope, neither I nor any of my male friends ever do anything that doesnt involve drinking in a pub or drinking at a houseparty.

I only do bonding stuff with female friends :/

Silverfish, ANYONE who bangs on about positive attributes in real life is someone to be wary of, I have no idea why nice is being singled out. Someone who makes a big deal about how much money they earn/how great a career they have? Narcissists? People who are absolutely sure they have the most wonderful personality ever?
    It's real life, if you need to describe your personality to someone - you're doing something very wrong.

Nah, they don't care if I'm a nice guy or not over there.

I'm sure they do, Zaff, I'm sure they do :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Papillon87 wrote: »
    Freshly dumped lady here. :(

aww *hugs* me too so you're not alone!

Nope, neither I nor any of my male friends ever do anything that doesnt involve drinking in a pub or drinking at a houseparty.

I only do bonding stuff with female friends :/

Obviously a very different dynamic to what I have with my friends. Have 3 different sets of friends and very little of what we do together happens in the pub.

Regularly watch a movie in a mates house. Regularly drop in to a mate that I haven't seen for ages just to check in. Regularly go to the cinema with friend.

To be honest, anytimes I have had the dynamic that you seem to have was with people I would consider being only sort of friends with.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

You should be careful saying things like that, you will probably get a ton of PM's :D

Pop into BGRH and flirt with a few of the lads, you never know what might happen

There are plenty of nice single guys out there, they are probably a bit older than you though, girls are more mature than guys so it takes us simpletons a while to catch up :D

The recliner. . . I'm still waiting on these PM's you know!!! :mad:

and what is this BGRH ?? I love a good flirt I do. . . tell me more. . .;)

Do you want me to PM directions from Celbridge to here? :D

TBH, it works both ways. Once you get past a certain age as a single guy women tend to wonder what's wrong with you that you're still single or wonder whether you really have a wife and 3 kids at home. That tends to make it difficult to break the ice, especially if you're a bit quiet or shy to begin with.

your a funny guy Zaph. . . But I aint taking my little momo out this late. . but if you know the way to Celbridge. . . ;) heeheehee..

• Advertisement

The recliner. . . I'm still waiting on these PM's you know!!! :mad:

and what is this BGRH ?? I love a good flirt I do. . . tell me more. . .;)

I have no control over people PM'ing you just based on previous experience if someone is saying they are available they are liable to get propositioned

You will find BGRH 9Beer Guts and Receeding Hairlines)further up the list from The Ladies Lounge, it is a blokes hangout. Pop into the bar there and say hello

Advertisement