Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New trains?

Options
  • 30-03-2008 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the old ass Galway to Dublin trains are going to be replaced with the new ones that are on the Cork route. I use this train at least once a week and I'm bloody sick of these noisy, uncomfortable trains that are either way too hot or way too cold. I'd say the trip to Auschwitz would have been more comfortable!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I'd say the trip to Auschwitz would have been more comfortable!
    I'd prefer to be alive after the train journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

what's on now, big old orange ones or shite commuter ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Sherifu wrote: »
    I'd prefer to be alive after the train journey.

you would be. it's the showers when you arrive there that gets you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

you would be. it's the showers when you arrive there that gets you.
    They're gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Arrive alive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Sherifu wrote: »
    They're gas.

ROFL ROFL ROFL!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the old ass Galway to Dublin trains are going to be replaced with the new ones that are on the Cork route. I use this train at least once a week and I'm bloody sick of these noisy, uncomfortable trains that are either way too hot or way too cold. I'd say the trip to Auschwitz would have been more comfortable!

They won't be ever ..... the engines on the limerick/cork routes are too heavy for the Galway line. There's talk of them buying new trains for the route alright but they won't be the same as the Cork ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Drift wrote: »
    They won't be ever ..... the engines on the limerick/cork routes are too heavy for the Galway line. There's talk of them buying new trains for the route alright but they won't be the same as the Cork ones.

But the new ones were in the Station only 2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Er, you mean the same locos that have been running in and out of Galway for the last 12 years ;).

The Cork line has 67 Mark4 coaches which are push-pulled by the existing 201 locos. These are dedicated exclusively to the Cork line.

The rest of the mainline routes are getting the new 22000 railcars, these are either three or sixpiece intercity railcars, which have the engines mounted under the floor of each coach, i.e no locomotive. 183 ( i think) of these coaches have been ordered, these are already in service on the Sligo and Limerick routes and are going onto the Westport line from tomorrow, Galway should be very close behind. These railcars are designed for intercity service, have an 100mph capability, and are getting positive reviews in terms of comfort and ride.

The Mark 3 coaches, the orange ones with the automatic doors are all due to be replaced by the 22000 in the immediate future, the last of the Mark 2's, the orange ones with the slam doors were withdrawn from service yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Er, you mean the same locos that have been running in and out of Galway for the last 12 years ;).

The Cork line has 67 Mark4 coaches which are push-pulled by the existing 201 locos. These are dedicated exclusively to the Cork line.

The rest of the mainline routes are getting the new 22000 railcars, these are either three or sixpiece intercity railcars, which have the engines mounted under the floor of each coach, i.e no locomotive. 183 ( i think) of these coaches have been ordered, these are already in service on the Sligo and Limerick routes and are going onto the Westport line from tomorrow, Galway should be very close behind. These railcars are designed for intercity service, have an 100mph capability, and are getting positive reviews in terms of comfort and ride.

The Mark 3 coaches, the orange ones with the automatic doors are all due to be replaced by the 22000 in the immediate future, the last of the Mark 2's, the orange ones with the slam doors were withdrawn from service yesterday.

So when do they arrive ? and when they do it'll more than likely cost 100 euro to go to Dublin return ..Train Prices in this Country are scandalous.
    Not to mention poorly staffed and filthy.

• Advertisement

Ah OK I see, I thought the Limerick line had the 201 locos the same as Cork. My bad. These 201s are the one's that I was informed couldn't be run on the Galway line.

edit: Is it the case that the 201 locos can't run on the Galway line or was I completely misinformed?

re-edit: Never mind I did my own research and my "train expert" buddy is in for some serious correction next time I see him ;):D.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

"Train expert buddy"

Tell him he needs to brush up or take up bus spotting:D

I think his anorak must be leaking LOL. I'll probably just show him this thread!

Although in fairness he's not a local of Galway - but even still.

Advertisement