Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser Treatment for Back Hair

• 30-03-2008 5:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi All!

I've decided I want to have all the hair on my back removed by laser. Can anyone suggest where best to get it done. Ideally in Galway or Dublin. I realise it's gonna cost a heap so I want to get it done right. Also, is it best to stick with the one place or is it okay to go to other places for later treatments as I may go travelling after the summer.

I'm a guy by the way, if that makes a difference?!?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I got laser treatment on my legs and underarms and found it really great. I went to Therapies on Molesworth Street in Dublin. Its not cheap but is certainly worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

http://www.brazilia.ie/laser.html
    I haven't been for laser there, but can vouch for their friendly, competent and thorough staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

i hope you get this in time but bodyclinic on wicklow street have 70% off at the moment. It might just be for March...give them a buzz and check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

thanks man! will give them a shout tomorrow, fingers crossed it still on!!

Kooli wrote: »
    i hope you get this in time but bodyclinic on wicklow street have 70% off at the moment. It might just be for March...give them a buzz and check.

AFAIK they always have 70% off, like Carpetright it is a sales gimmick.

If you have red hair like your avatar OP it won't work.

• Advertisement

Kooli wrote: »

If you have red hair like your avatar OP it won't work.

Moonbaby wrote: »

If you have red hair like your avatar OP it won't work.[/QUOTE]

This is true. It is only succesful on dark hair, especially if the person with dark hair has pale skin.

well spotted!! no i have black hair and pale skin!!!

Shane wrote: »
    well spotted!! no i have black hair and pale skin!!!

Then you sound like the perfect candidate for the treatment. :) Having gone through it myself I really can't recommend it enough.

how many treatments did you go through before it was permanent and what space in between?

• Advertisement

how many treatments did you go through before it was permanent and what space in between?

6 on my bikini line and under arms, 9 on my lower legs. There was a 6 week gap to begin with and this got pushed out to 8 / 9 weeks. It sounds like a long long time to have to go through it for but after the second treatment I really began to see a big difference as the hair became weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

OP, have you priced it yet for your back? i'd like to know how much it would cost. i'm not exactly a gorilla, but i'd like to get this done too, but maybe not for a couple of years, reasons being:

1) i'm skint!!
    2) despite being 27, i only started growing hair on my back about 2/3 years ago, so it's probably gonna get worse so i should probably wait til it's got as hairy as it's going to.

Beerlao wrote: »
    OP, have you priced it yet for your back? i'd like to know how much it would cost. i'm not exactly a gorilla, but i'd like to get this done too, but maybe not for a couple of years, reasons being:

1) i'm skint!!
    2) despite being 27, i only started growing hair on my back about 2/3 years ago, so it's probably gonna get worse so i should probably wait til it's got as hairy as it's going to.

It cost me €3500.00 for my legs, bikini line and underarms. If you go in for an assessment they'll tell you how much it should cost and how many treatments they think you'll need.

ok so brazilia quoted me €500 per session, minimum 6 but shouldn't be more than 8!!! body clinic €320 per session and say 6 should do!!!

ok so brazilia quoted me €500 per session, minimum 6 but shouldn't be more than 8!!! body clinic €320 per session and say 6 should do!!!

When I went for my assessment the girl said that everyone needs a minimum of 6 no matter what they think. Then after the 6 treatment you're brought back for a reassessment. If there are only a few stray hairs that need zapping they'll generally do those for you for free. If there are more than a few I'd suggest you get the extra 2 treatments.
    I know its a lot of money to hand over but having gone through it myself I can honestly say it was well worth it and I have no regrets at all about spending it.
    If you decide to take the plunge and go ahead with this on the back (hee hee no pun intended:o) of my own experience I would also suggest that after the first two treatments you leave a longer period between the following treatments. The reason being that the hair withers and falls out so at first it looks as though your hair is continuing to grow back when in fact there is no root there anymore. If you have the treatments too close together the laser is only zapping any already dead hair with no root and so you are wasting the treatment and money. If you leave a longer time between each session the hair that is dead has had time to fall out so the ones that are still there still have a root and need to be treated. Does that makes sense to you? I'm not sure I was clear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

kizzyr wrote: »
    When I went for my assessment the girl said that everyone needs a minimum of 6 no matter what they think. Then after the 6 treatment you're brought back for a reassessment. If there are only a few stray hairs that need zapping they'll generally do those for you for free. If there are more than a few I'd suggest you get the extra 2 treatments.
    I know its a lot of money to hand over but having gone through it myself I can honestly say it was well worth it and I have no regrets at all about spending it.
    If you decide to take the plunge and go ahead with this on the back (hee hee no pun intended:o) of my own experience I would also suggest that after the first two treatments you leave a longer period between the following treatments. The reason being that the hair withers and falls out so at first it looks as though your hair is continuing to grow back when in fact there is no root there anymore. If you have the treatments too close together the laser is only zapping any already dead hair with no root and so you are wasting the treatment and money. If you leave a longer time between each session the hair that is dead has had time to fall out so the ones that are still there still have a root and need to be treated. Does that makes sense to you? I'm not sure I was clear :)

i used the bodyclinic for my neck - cause of ingrown hairs from shaving, ther eok, that sales thing is boll*x though,always on and there aint no discount!

empirix wrote: »
    i used the bodyclinic for my neck - cause of ingrown hairs from shaving, ther eok, that sales thing is boll*x though,always on and there aint no discount!

I never said anything about discounts or Bodyclinic:confused::)

haven't heard a bad word about body clinic so going to go with them i think. not to sure of what you mean kizzyr but the lady told me 4-6 weeks (or 3-6?!) between each treatment. she did mention that it takes a while for the hair to grow out even though it's dead but didn't say anything about lengthening the period between treatments later on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Aura in Terenure are also very good. I've been going there since last autumn getting laser on my underarms. Have had 5 sessions now and it's going really well. I'm also dark haired. I'd highly recommend it ... it's a little sore at the time but once it's finished I've never felt any pain or discomfort from it !!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭giggles

I'm getting a few laser treatments from FAB (Face and Body) on South Anne St, Dublin

They currently have 50% off offer on - their prices are quoted on the website: http://www.faceandbody.ie/home.php

I'm getting lower legs (€575) & underarms (€350) done - have had 4 our of 6 sessions so far and seeing great results. I would recommend them on their price and results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

giggles wrote: »
    I'm getting a few laser treatments from FAB (Face and Body) on South Anne St, Dublin

They currently have 50% off offer on - their prices are quoted on the website: http://www.faceandbody.ie/home.php

I'm getting lower legs (€575) & underarms (€350) done - have had 4 our of 6 sessions so far and seeing great results. I would recommend them on their price and results.

€350 for underarms ??? :eek: Is that for one session or for the four sessions you've had ??? How do you find the laser on the legs, I'd love to have it done but no way I can afford it ... waxing it is til I'm rich !!! :D

Suzywuzy wrote: »
    €350 for underarms ??? :eek: Is that for one session or for the four sessions you've had ??? How do you find the laser on the legs, I'd love to have it done but no way I can afford it ... waxing it is til I'm rich !!! :D

€350 is for a course of 6 sessions - the normal price is €700, but I got 50% off. The offer is still running
    The full price list is on their website: http://www.faceandbody.ie/home_ns_1_pc_8.html

I am delighted with the results so far, I really notice the difference and there are areas where I'm now completely hair free!

There's a blast of cool air every time they zap, but its not painful. My legs/underarms are a bit red after the session, but it calms down very quickly. I've also just started getting my lip done and I'm considering my bikini line next - need to stagger them as I'm not made of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

Hi,
    I go to Urbana in town www.urbana.ie for laser on my legs. I think they are brilliant. And they had 70% off there. you should ring and see if they still have that offer on. It has really worked for me and I have dark hair. Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mattyboy20

Whoa sounds expensive. Will prob save u a lot of time long term though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 arcalzo

you dudes must be making some serious bucks in dublin! Ive just received an email from LowCostLaser.com, and seems like they'll be makingmake IPL hair removal cheap for everyone!
    Cost for a full back treatment is 150, which is under half of anywhere else - but I dont think they're open yet in dub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Bluebells

Just wondering, is it perminant or do you have to top up every few years? Also, whats the difference between IPL and laser treatments? I read here some places use the IPL claiming its laser, wonder if its true? : http://www.dundrumclinic.com/laser-hair-removal-page.html

Okay! Didn't get around to it yet but what's the story with low cost laser.com?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Bluebells

Ok, I emailed the lowcost laser place, asking about the difference between laser and ipl and heres there response just incase anyone wants to know (not sure if it true though);

As regards, the efficacy and safety of IPL versus
    Laser, there is a lot of misinformation out there -
    often advertised by unscrupulous clinics.

A great source of scientifically controlled studies is
    www.pubmed.gov, which is a service provided by the US
    National library of medicine, and lists studies and
    research papers that have been produced in labs, and
    under medical/scientific supervision.

Here is one study looking at IPL in comparison to
    laser:
    "Clinical comparison of four hair removal lasers and
    light sources." (you can enter this study on the
    pubmed site search, to find the full abstract).

Basically they compared 2 lasers (diode and
    alexandrite) and 2 ipl systems, and found no
    significant difference in efficacy between all
    systems, other than increased pain and patient
    discomfort when using an alexandrite laser.

My advise would be use a system that will provide a
    good result, while not leading to side-effects. Lasers
    are actually restricted to use by doctors in many
    countries, due to the increased risk that they involve
    - a laser is monochromatic coherent and amplified
    light, so is very powerful and can potentially cause
    severe burns if used at inappropriate power levels,
    but won't lead to results that are any better than
    safer IPL systems.

Also remember that most lasers have circular tips, and
    that each shot from the laser only acts on a part of
    the skin around the size of a euro coin. IPL systems
    such as ours, has a rectangular window that is 5cm
    long and 1cm across, so it allows for faster
    treatments, but also for far more accurate hair
    removal - it is much easier to miss areas with the
    small circular tip on a laser (this is an important
    practical difference, that should be borne in mind).

Patients are often left with transient redness after
    laser treatment, which is also an unnecessary
    incumbrance.
    The safest laser system is the Nd:Yag (neodymium yag),
    which can be used on many different skin types, but it
    doesn't have as good long term effects on hair removal
    as a high-quality IPL system.

As regards IPL systems, we would advise you to use
    newer systems that now use a lower energy density
    (fluence), than systems from a few years back
    (epilight, lynton lasers).

The higher energies simply aren't necessary to get a
    good result, but increase the risk of side-effects.
    The last thing you want, is to have to deal with
    redness or inflamation after treatment. We've studied
    all the different systems, and have undergone
    treatments, and know what the issues involved are -
    our background is both theoretical and practical.

The principle of light-based hair removal is that the
    temperature of the hair is selectively raised to 70
    degrees celcius, which deactivates the hair.

Beauticians that think they can deactivate the hair
    any more, by increasing the energy, don't understand
    the process. It simply isn't necessary to use high
    energies to lead to hair removal.

Extremely effective treatments can be done at as low
    as 10 J/cm2, and you will have absolutely no
    side-effects - no redness - nothing. The hairs then
    shed after approximately 10-15 days, leaving the skin
    perfectly smooth for 2-3 months.

Treatment is then repeated, and there will be further
    permanent reduction, and each time after treatment,
    the skin will be perfectly smooth for longer and
    longer.

Most people find that around 5-6 treatments will
    result in a satisfactory permanent reduction in up to
    90% of hair, or in some cases, one treatment a year
    will be enough to maintain. In some areas such as the
    armpits - many people will find a satisfactory result
    after 3 treatments.

The machine we use has been produced in France, and is
    in compliance with all the medical and cosmetic
    requirements and safety standards - which are very
    stingent in France. The maximum power is 16J/cm2,
    which ensures highly effective treatments with
    practically no side-effects.

I've done both and for me laser worked much better. I'm fair skinned and brunette so good candidate for both

The machines used for both look fairly similar, the only difference is the 'zapper' head as outlined in the above post.

IPL
    I had 8 sessions and found IPL to mark my skin for longer and on occasion my skin looked and felt like sunburn! I only noticed a very small difference in hair regrowth. I felt like I was wasting my money so stopped going.

Laser
    I've had 4 out of 6 sessions and noticed a difference after each session. It definitely works better for me and my skin is nowhere near as red as it was after IPL. My legs are nearly hair free now, there's just a couple of small areas with regrowth.

Though if I didn't already have IPL I'd probably have more areas with hair, but overall I'm much happier with the laser progress. I have no idea what machines were used for IPL - maybe it was one of the older machines, maybe the girl treating me didn't know what she was at - who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Thought I'd bring an old thread back from the dead instead of starting a new one. Any info on places in Galway that do a good job?

Advertisement