Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommendations on 2007/6 Estate?

Options
  • 30-03-2008 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Can anyone recommend a good estate to buy. Avensis? Mazda6? Passat? others to consider???

I'm obviously not looking to spend the sun, moon and stars unnecessarily on a car, but I do not mind spending money a little more on something that is really worth it. I want to get something with a bit of luxury if possible (definitely electric windows and A/C at the very least). I cover a lot of miles (20-25K) so something comfy is a must for the long journeys.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

How about a volvo V50, nice car. Better looking than the three you have mentioned .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I agree with anthony4335 about a Volvo. Volvos are great cars for a long journey. Nobody makes seats like Volvo do. They are simply superb, especially ones with leather seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

E92 wrote: »
    I agree with anthony4335 about a Volvo. Volvos are great cars for a long journey. Nobody makes seats like Volvo do. They are simply superb, especially ones with leather seats.

+ 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

How about a volvo V50, nice car. Better looking than the three you have mentioned .
    E92 wrote: »

Isn't the V50 just the estate version of the S40? In other words it's Focus-sized and quite a bit smaller and narrower than the cars the OP mentioned.

Personally I wouldn't recommend a Passat but Avensis or Mazda 6 would be a good buy. Both pretty rare in estate form though. The Irish don't like estates for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

• Advertisement

The V50 is an S40 estate in essence, but the boot is a decent size, unlike the V40 which preceded it. It ticks all the other boxes the OP mentioned too, very comfy and even the basic S model has plenty of gizmos as standard, though the SE is very plush indeed, and has everything worth having.

2.0D would be the best choice IMO, or else the 1.8(though I'd say it's a bit slow, the 1.8 in the old S40 isn't fast anyway), though the 1.6D would be well worth a look too I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Also consider the Ford Mondeo estate, they have a pretty big boot (all those undertakers cannot be wrong):
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/Zetec/959547/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Have you considered any of the BMW estates? (Or "touring" versions as BMW call them...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

bazz26 wrote: »
    Also consider the Ford Mondeo estate, they have a pretty big boot (all those undertakers cannot be wrong):

Best car I ever had.

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Have you considered any of the BMW estates? (Or "touring" versions as BMW call them...)
    BMWs are about driving, not comfort:)!

As anyone who reads this section of this forum often enough knows, I am a big BMW fan, but I know they wouldn't be the best choice for the OP's wants, plus you certainly wouldn't get a 06/07 3 series for under 20k(I saw a bog spec 04 316i in Kevin O'Learys for €23k now that I think of it recently)either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Mondeo Estate. Very cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 rav_dsl

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not into BMW (don't like rwd) or the Nissan (because of looks). I'm definitely getting 2.0L Diesel.

So the short(er) list is now vw passat, toyota avensis, mazda 6, ford mondeo. I'm not sure about the Volvo. I know they are good cars, but I'm guessing parts etc. will lead to higher costs over time. Also, the reason for getting an estate is for more space (no a focus sized car would not really be in the running unless there were some major advantages - like running costs). I'm definitely getting a diesel engine 2.0L TDI (or equiv).

Right now I'm leaning towards the Passat, I know it is only a few grand more then the others, but is it really worth it. Its a good looking car but in a couple of years it will be the running costs that you really care about.

So one more round - which car will hold value but ultimately will be the cheaper to run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

The passat as has been well documented on this forum has "relability isssues.
    I had a 07 2.0tdi passat as a company car and a 03 mondeo before that , and in my opinion the mondeo was by far the superior car. The passat developed rattles within 5000 kms , the handbrake broke my heart , a wheel bearing failed and warning lights appeared and went randomly.
    The mondeo got a puncture once in over 100,000 miles. I doubt very much if that passat will make the 100,00kms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 rav_dsl

I appreciate all the feedback. I'm going for some test drives tomorrow.

I think the Avensis is top of the list, with the Mondeo being a late entry in the running. But for some reason I'm finding it hard to look past the passat. I think it is the fact that the passat has a few more years before the model will change while the others are at that point now - meaning quicker depreciation on any purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

what about
    Honda-Accord_Wagon_2.4T_Sport_Package_European_Version_2003_photo_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

bazz26 wrote: »

I don't think that's the link you had in mind.:)

I would recommend the Mondeo as well, and for estates in general, there's often a much bigger choice in the UK if you were prepared to import.

rav_dsl wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the Volvo. I know they are good cars, but I'm guessing parts etc. will lead to higher costs over time.
    I don't see why, the V50 is derived from the Focus, so one would be hoping that most of the parts are the same(they probably just change the badges)(Volvo dealers know how to charge for labour though), and the 1.6 and 2.0 diesels are from Peugeot-Citroen(as they are with the Focus).

If you don't like the Volvo, then I would say the Toyota, but they're very expensive used buys(because they depreciate so slowly) and they only sold them in the basic trim here. In the UK, where estates are still popular enough, there would be plenty of high spec Avensis Tourers around.

And as new diesels are going to be a lot cheaper to buy in July, it makes sense to wait till then to buy a used diesel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

sesswhat wrote: »
    I don't think that's the link you had in mind.:)

I would recommend the Mondeo as well, and for estates in general, there's often a much bigger choice in the UK if you were prepared to import.

Weird, it was a Mondeo when I posted it yesterday. Dealer probably changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Honda Accord Tourer ftw.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement