Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank Zappa

Options
  • 30-03-2008 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭

Anyone into the greatest rock artist of the 20th century? Totally original. My Fav album by him is Joe's Garage even tho all his albums are brilliant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I started getting into Zappa about 2 years ago, pure genius:cool: I still have a lot to catch up on but Joe's Garage and One Size Fits All are my fav's so far.He also does a strange but wonderful live version of Stairway To Heaven.
    Great Lyrics.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

I really like Zappa- Hot Rats, The Grand Wazoo, Joe's Garage and pretty much anything he did under the name Frank Zappa and the Mothers of invention. He had steve vai as his guitarist for a long time- it could only have been someone like vai because if you heard Zappa on guitar himself you'd wonder why he needed anyone to play guitar for himself.

There are some 'experimental noise' tracks that are worth avoiding but everything else is really good. He was a musician of the highest quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Have Joe's Garage and Aprostrophe both are cracking albums, I always loved the song Uncle Remus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Zappa is great, 60 albums and counting i think....but i think its impossible to like everything that he has done, alot of it is pure comedic genious,stuff like sheik yerbouti is a fun, some of it just seems like noise,but theres so much variety in his stuff theres something for everyone. the early mothers of invention stuff is great, i love the first 3 albums. the baby snakes film is a must see also, its strange and brilliant at the same time, particularly the guy that makes the stop motion models.

the man was undoubtably a genius....R.I.P.

my advice to someone getting into his stuff is to buy the strictly commercial best of and go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Overnite sensation is also excellent, especially if you like Apostrophe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The track "watermelon in easter hay", i just love the beautifull simplicity of the guitar riff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Recently watched his son play Zappa plays Zappa and it's an amazing show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have two words for you: Lumpy Gravy. Imagine redneck Californian musique concrète, featuring people living inside a drum. :D Here's the relatively "normal" intro (Duodenum):

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Zappa has done a lot of good songs, but I think the funniest would be Bobby Brown.

Some people don't believe me when I say that it's from 1979...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

36 albums in my collection, only 43/44 left. :cool: Loved Zappa from when I was little, one of my favourite artist around, the man didn't take anything seriously and incorporated it into it's music with little-to-no effort which is what makes it awesome. Seriously, who writes a song about dental floss!? Haha! As a fan of Avant Garde and Experimental music I hold Zappa in high regard and rules above a healthy amount of my taste. Any footage that can be found of him on YouTube debating censorship vs. the PMRC (Tipper Gore and the cabinet of ultra conservatives :rolleyes:) is always a great watch, comedy gold! Great television.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISil7IHzxc

"How much money do you make peddling this stuff, Mr. Zappa?"
    "Millions of dollars".

Frank RULES. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Sheik Yerbouti for me. Frank was a class act, a big loss to music.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Catholic girls,
    With their tiny little mustache.

Lulz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭dasdog

damonjewel wrote: »
    Overnite sensation is also excellent, especially if you like Apostrophe

The same people played on both those albums and the playing and production tricks were outstanding. I love em both.
    iamstop wrote: »
    Catholic girls,
    With their tiny little mustache.

Lulz.

Dynamo Humm ;)

Such a brilliant and unique guitar player on top of everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

dasdog wrote: »
    Dynamo Humm ;)

Such a brilliant and unique guitar player on top of everything else

According to his wife Gail, Frank hated to perform this song live, but the crowd always wanted to hear it.

Frank was a true creative genius. He was the 'mad scientist' in his home studio and was light years ahead of his peers. The sheer volume of his work is mind boggling. He is truly one of the great minds of the late 20th Century.

If you get the opportunity in the future, I would recommend checking out Dweezil Zappa plays Zappa the next time they are in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Camarillo Brillo

Best artist of all time.

Over nite sensation
    Apostrophe
    Sheik Yerbouti

Also Baby snakes video with Bozzio going mental on the drums is pure entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

LIKE OH MY GOD, ENCINCO IS LIKE SO BITCIHN

GAG ME WITH A SPOON
    *666th post had to be in the Rock & Metal forum*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭dasdog

According to his wife Gail, Frank hated to perform this song live, but the crowd always wanted to hear it.

I think the whole band hated playing it because it was so long. A certain Tina Turner was one of the backing singers hired for the session (listen and you'll hear her) and Ike apparantly said 'what the hell is this shít?' when he heard Montanta and stormed out.
    If you get the opportunity in the future, I would recommend checking out Dweezil Zappa plays Zappa the next time they are in Ireland.

Will do. I saw some footage of Peaches En Regalia and it looked pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I like his Mothers of Invention stuff, the humour is a little dated but he wrote some great songs, I love the tracks with a doo-wop influence or "Concentration Moon" in particular.

When he went solo it's a mixed-bag for me, all of that fusion guitar w@nkery while I'm sure required a serious amount of talent just sounds awful to my ears. His humour was often juvenile too.

Smart guy and I agree with his thoughts on censorship and politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

There's a classic album special on Sky Arts this thursday at 225am the albums are Over nited Sensation and Apostrophe. I saw
    It before well worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Advertisement