Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Screens in headrests

Options
  • 30-03-2008 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

At the moment I have a seperate dvd and screen which I attach on to the rear headrests when my daughter is in the car. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to get the ones put into the headrests themselves? Also where do the leads from these go, and where does the actual dvd player go? I am keen on something tidy with little visable leads.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭vectra

TheBazman wrote: »
    Hi folks

At the moment I have a seperate dvd and screen which I attach on to the rear headrests when my daughter is in the car. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to get the ones put into the headrests themselves? Also where do the leads from these go, and where does the actual dvd player go? I am keen on something tidy with little visable leads.

Cheers

What car you putting them into ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

an e60 5 series

Buddy of mine has just bought 2 of THESE
    to fit to his Q7.

Adjustable legs to suit most models i think.
    The only wires needed are power wires out the bottom of the seat as they have built in dvd players.

Different movie can be played on each screen so no more argueing kids in the back :rolleyes:

Cheers, interesting option - think I would still prefer to get someone to fit the integrated ones tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

When we get monitors fitted to our new cars, we used complete headrest replacement setups too. Definitely worth looking into!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If you are looking for a fully integrated professional job (and are around Dublin) try either Motormedia (www.Motormedia.ie) or Cartonics (www.cartronics.net).

I've used both for installsin to customers cars and they are very neat jobs. It's been a couple of years since I've done it and the cost then was around €1500 for 2 screens, but prices were falling all the time so may come in less.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't go replacing the BMW head restraints with ebay items. they're an essential safety item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Any chance of putting the DVD screen somewhere else other than in the headrest ? These are so annoying and distracting for following drivers, particularily at night.....

Cheers guys for the tips/info

As for the distraction - I know what you're saying however I tend to only use them during the day when the nipper wont sleep. She tends to nod off handily enough at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,096 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

god be with the days of eye spy and the number plate game :D

• Advertisement

TheBazman wrote: »
    Cheers guys for the tips/info

As for the distraction - I know what you're saying however I tend to only use them during the day when the nipper wont sleep. She tends to nod off handily enough at night.

Fair enough, but if I was in your position, if I had it in the back of the headrest, daylight or not, I'd be worried it might increase the chances of being rear ended. They are a great idea in aircraft, but when applied to cars there are extra things to think about. Is one built into /attached to the back of the centre console an option ?

Omcd wrote: »
    Any chance of putting the DVD screen somewhere else other than in the headrest ? These are so annoying and distracting for following drivers, particularily at night.....

Being honest a person should be able to keep their concentration no matter what is going on in the car in front.
    Did you ever get stuck behind a plonker with their fog lights on when it is drizzling heavily ?
    Give me monitors in headrests anyday :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Better start asking people not to wave out the back window too can be very distracting :rolleyes:

I have very good eyesight and i find peoples sat navs distracting people should have to put them somewhere else too but sure its a free country is'nt it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'd have those if the leather was the right colour :(

Better start asking people not to wave out the back window too can be very distracting :rolleyes:

I have very good eyesight and i find peoples sat navs distracting people should have to put them somewhere else too but sure its a free country is'nt it? :D

You know what..
    I think gearlevers should be re-positioned as well as I notice Lots of drivers still have to look down at them to see what direction to move it to change gear.. "Very distracting" :D

So, the idiot who nearly cleaved me off the M50 Tallaght roundabout one night a month or two back with his undimmed sat nav stuck right in the middle of his windscreen, obviously not able to see the lane markings, is ok with you then ? Ah sure why dont I put my 50 inch plasma up on my dashboard ! Great idea :D OP could get a voltage adapter, a sateille dish, and strap a 50inch to the seatbacks :D

BTW, not that I care, but do ye know ye need a TV license for your car if you have a TV in it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

The ready made headrest kits are not bad for the money but won't be anywhere near the likes of Alpine for quality. All depends on price really.

You could also use a flip down roof monitor, again Alpine have a lovely model with the DVD player built in, much better for security also as people don't normally notice them as they walk past your car.

Also check to see if your OE headrests have active restraints as if they do and you are mounting monitors into them be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

With new German TUV legislation all new factory fitted SatNav screen have to be mounted high up in the centre of the dash, so the drivers sightline is only changed by something like 10 degrees.

So you better get used to being able to see the screen switched on in the car ahead !!

BTW you could easily colour match the leather on the headrest if it wasn't the right shade !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

BTW, not that I care, but do ye know ye need a TV license for your car if you have a TV in it !
    No you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

I would imagine that these are not the safest things in a crash to bang your head off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So, the idiot who nearly cleaved me off the M50 Tallaght roundabout one night a month or two back with his undimmed sat nav stuck right in the middle of his windscreen, obviously not able to see the lane markings, is ok with you then ? Ah sure why dont I put my 50 inch plasma up on my dashboard ! Great idea :D OP could get a voltage adapter, a sateille dish, and strap a 50inch to the seatbacks :D

TBH some people are muppets and shouldn't be allowed to drive, but thats a different story. The persons with the Sat Nav in the middle of their screen should be pulled over and done by the Gardai for driving without due care, same as the mothers with "Child on Board" signs in the middle of the rear window where they can't use their mirror.

And this was about people being distracted by other peoples toys not their own:)

So, the idiot who nearly cleaved me off the M50 Tallaght roundabout one night a month or two back with his undimmed sat nav stuck right in the middle of his windscreen, obviously not able to see the lane markings, is ok with you then ?

Always expect the unexpected regardless of the carelessness of another driver, -it may have happened without the sat nav you'll never know though!

FX Meister wrote: »
    No you don't.

If you're disagreeing with my observation about the requirement for a TV license if you have a TV (as opposed to merely a DVD player) in your car, I suggest you read the legislation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If you're disagreeing with my observation about the requirement for a TV license if you have a TV (as opposed to merely a DVD player) in your car, I suggest you read the legislation...

I suggest you read it properly

its a grey area as regards legislation on TV on Mobiles for sure and not decided whether you'll need one or not.

Id imagine its the same for a car, its tricky for a vehicle e.g. trains dont adhere to the licensing opening hours which is much more relevant than the few cars with tv areials! Probbably due to the fact that the offence can occur in two districts at the same time ie part of a train in one county the other in another?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

its a grey area as regards legislation on TV on Mobiles for sure and not decided whether you'll need one or not.

Id imagine its the same for a car, its tricky for a vehicle e.g. trains dont adhere to the licensing opening hours which is much more relevant than the few cars with tv areials! Probbably due to the fact that the offence can occur in two districts at the same time ie part of a train in one county the other in another?

On trains you are in transit and the law for passengers in transit is different to public houses same as hotel residents can drink whenever they want, it's not that no-one can stop it.

I know in the UK they are working on how to deal with TVs in cars and phones, I'm sure we'll copy theirs and still mess it up.

I know there is a seperate license type a for pub v hotel, but for a train it has been said its because it moves between districts (rather than not being able to stop it) hence you could'nt summons CIE as the location is non-confirmable asuch, the place the offence could occur being a hindrence rather than stopping it they generally stop quite a bit on a trip anyway! Until Portdarlington anyway...

is there not the old myth of the Gardai coming onto the train and they stop serving afaik too?

Then again there is def an old law too that train stations can sell you a beer outside the 'usual' hours if you have a ticket.

Advertisement