Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing the mutt for a walk

Options
  • 30-03-2008 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

OK, we lived in Dublin for best part of 10 years, and we had a public park right beside us, and every evening we brought our boisterous, bold, untrained, unresponsive and completely lovable Springer Spaniel out for his run. We could let him off the leash (after being pulled up to the park) and let him run around after birds, nose around in bushes and bring back hedgehogs in his mouth ( I wish I was kidding) ..... he was in heaven.......he didn't think he was in Dublin at all!!

So we moved down West for a better life (we live in Charlestown, and work in Sligo - soon to build in Sligo) and we have the following problem.

We don't get back from work until 7pm or so. We try to bring the dog for a swim or a run (we go to Curry river, or Urlaur Lake) as much as we can.... but we don't get the walk we used to.

You'd think we could just go walking in the countryside, but the dog runs after sheep (never catches them, he's harmless, but the farmers don't know that). He can't be trusted near traffic as he has no road sense, and if he sees a bird or pheasant, he's after it straight away, and won't heed a word we say/shout while he is pre-occupied with trying to catch his prey.... Trying:o

Up until 4 months ago we used to go on the new Charlestown bypass that was being built ....and then it went and opened!

So North West boardsies, within 10 or 15 mins of Charllestown/Tubbercurry is there a stretch where both the mad springer spaniel and Mrs and Mrs Culchie can we both get a decent walk where we won't be disturbing local livestock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

You should go to Hazelwood when u come to Sligo:):)

Beautiful place for u and the dog::D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Culchie wrote: »
    run around after birds, nose around in bushes and bring back hedgehogs in his mouth ( I wish I was kidding)

He sounds delightful! Sorry I can't help you though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

easkey wrote: »
    You should go to Hazelwood when u come to Sligo:):)

Beautiful place for u and the dog::D

Hazelwood is a beautiful place but we found the people walking there (with their dogs) were very nervous. Our dogs were off the lead and they are relatively obedient but people would jump away or drag their dogs off, not very enjoyable. I would suggest Slish wood just outside Sligo, on the Ballintogher/ Dromahair road. People who walk there are easy going.
    Sorry can't help you where you can walk in your area. I find that here in the North West there are hardly anywhere you can walk freely with your dogs. Please somebody prove me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And here was me thinking that you had to have your dog on a lead when out in a public place :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Hi Culchies,
    First of all welcome to the west and I hope ye found the better life ye were after.
    Ive live near Charlestown so ill try and show ya a few spots to let the hound loose.
    About 10 mins from tobercurry on the ballina road you will get to lough talt. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...,0.631714&z=11 Lots of open space and here and its a lovely area. There can be some sheep about on the mountain but they move about so if you see them keep driving past the lake untill the coast is clear. There are some dirt tracks leading into the bogs to bring the dog to get off the road. btw bring a jacket, its not known as 'the windy gap' for nothing! There are some great trails into the woods here too, just keep an eye out.

Heres another good spot http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...,0.631714&z=11

Look for loughhanaboll on the map. Northwest from tobercurry. Very remote up here and a nice lake too. Same deal with the sheep. just avoid them.
    Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

muffler wrote: »
    And here was me thinking that you had to have your dog on a lead when out in a public place :confused:

Technically your right but it leads (agh a pun!!) to a miserable dog!
    I bring my dog to a wooded area where I know we won't be bothered!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

LMAO, I'd have no arms left.

I know you are 'correct' but dogs are meant to run.....especially Springer Spaniels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

bandit197 wrote: »
    Hi Culchies,
    First of all welcome to the west and I hope ye found the better life ye were after.
    Ive live near Charlestown so ill try and show ya a few spots to let the hound loose.
    About 10 mins from tobercurry on the ballina road you will get to lough talt. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...,0.631714&z=11 Lots of open space and here and its a lovely area. There can be some sheep about on the mountain but they move about so if you see them keep driving past the lake untill the coast is clear. There are some dirt tracks leading into the bogs to bring the dog to get off the road. btw bring a jacket, its not known as 'the windy gap' for nothing! There are some great trails into the woods here too, just keep an eye out.

Heres another good spot http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...,0.631714&z=11

Look for loughhanaboll on the map. Northwest from tobercurry. Very remote up here and a nice lake too. Same deal with the sheep. just avoid them.
    Hope this helps

Cheers, Lough Talt is a no no .... been there, bought the chasing sheep T-Shirt:o

I thjink I might try 'The Sligo Way' between Tubber and Easkey??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Culchie wrote: »
    OK, we lived in Dublin for best part of 10 years, and we had a public park right beside us, and every evening we brought our boisterous, bold, untrained, unresponsive and completely lovable Springer Spaniel out for his run. We could let him off the leash (after being pulled up to the park) and let him run around after birds, nose around in bushes and bring back hedgehogs in his mouth ( I wish I was kidding) ..... he was in heaven.......he didn't think he was in Dublin at all!!

QUOTE]

That's one thing Dublin has over Sligo - an abundance of public parks. There's only one that I know of here, which is a great pity.

As for dog walking, I can't help you there - I thought about a spinning dog wheel, like the ones hamsters use, but when I googled the words "spinning dog wheel", all that came up was those spinning alloy wheels that people pimp their cars with & an add with the title "Get Your Spinning Wheels Here, Dog" !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/animal-welfare-and-control/control_of_dogs/?searchterm=dogs

Hope the link works.....it basically states that a dog should be kept under "effectual control" Doesn't specify with what.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Hope the link works.....it basically states that a dog should be kept under "effectual control" Doesn't specify with what.

There are only certain breeds of dogs that are required to be kept on a leash at all times (& lead by a person over 16 who's capable of controlling them)... they'd include breeds such as Bull Terriers, Dobermann Pinschers, Alsatians, and Rottweilers.

Other dogs must be kept under "effectual control" by their owners, which means, either they are trained to behave as ordered, or if they're like Culchie's dog, they should be kept on a leash unless they're in a place where they can't attack or annoy people or livestock. You are liable for injury or damage caused by your dog to people or livestock.

The Control of Dogs Act applies here, but each local authority can introduce bye-laws as to where and when dogs must be kept on a leash. If you break the bye laws, you can get on the spot fines - some cases even end up in prosecution.

I'd definitely recommend staying well away from anywhere with livestock - a farmer could easily have you reported to the dog wardens, which could get nasty. I'd suggest you contact the council & ask for advice, or maybe even the Dog Warden in Leitrim - they are also the wardens for Sligo county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The problem with chasing sheep is not whether he catches them or not. Chasing can lead to abortion of pregnancy in sheep. This can lead on to infections and disease in the sheep if the abortion is not dealt with properly. Hence it's costly to farmers, which is why shooting dogs which "worry" sheep is legal. I'd say find a big Coillte forest with roads in it and let the dog go mad there. If it's big enough he should be well away from sheep. We had a Springer and I know what they're like. They usually like swimming. It's good exercise and he can't paddle after sheep.:)

Advertisement