Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walkers pull TV ad

• 30-03-2008 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/latest-scottish-news/Advert-pulled-over-bus-crash.3926919.jp
    Advert pulled over bus crash scene

A crisps manufacturer has withdrawn a TV advert which shows the top of a bus being sliced off, following dozens of complaints from viewers.
    Walkers said it now plans to cut the offending scene from the ad, with the new version airing from Saturday.

Among those who complained was the survivor of a Glasgow bus crash in which two adults and three children died.

The advert shows former footballer Gary Lineker driving a bus while eating crisps. He is so busy munching the snack that he fails to notice a low bridge sign and crashes into it. The top of the bus is sliced off with a loud crash.

Louise Penman spent two weeks in hospital after a double-decker carrying Girl Guides from the Drumchapel area of the city crashed into a railway bridge in 1994. The 24-year-old, who now lives in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, was shocked by the advert.

She told the Evening Times: "It has been a horrific couple of weeks. We feel more for people who lost family - we are still here. I do not see how they can justify an advert like that for a bag of crisps. It's so graphic and horrific. I can't believe they think it is fine because it was such a tragic time for us."

She spent three days in intensive care and needed 58 stitches in her head following the accident. The newspaper reported that the young woman's mother, Janice Gallie, has also sent an email of complaint.

Guides Margaret Riddick, 11, Catherine McKnight, 10, and Laura Cullen, also 10, and Guide leaders Mary McGreskin, 39, and Rena Dougall, 47, died after the top of the bus was ripped off when it crashed in West Street. Fifteen other people were injured in the accident.

Ms Penman was among 91 people who have complained to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) about the advert. The ASA said it was in the process of deciding whether there were grounds for an investigation.

Walkers apologised for any offence caused and said it has decided to cut the controversial scene from the advert. Chief executive Richard Evans said: "It was never our intention to offend anyone and we're very sorry that some viewers found it upsetting."

Madness, It was only harmless fun.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Will they be calling for Live and Let Die to be re-edited because there was a similar scene in the film? And I'm sure I've seen the same thing in various tv comedies over the years. At the rate we're going just about everything that ever makes it to the screen will cause offence to somebody. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Pull all adverts because I am sure somone will be offended by something. In fact, ban television an radio.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Pull all adverts because I am sure somone will be offended by something. In fact, ban television an radio.
    I find that offensive and would like boards pulled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Holy Overreaction Batman!

Yes the UK has gone uber politically correct now.

edit: As of 15.15 Discovery is still showing that advert uncut. I see it as harmless fun, which should be obvious.

What's next ban F1 because people get killed in car crashes? The mind boggles! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

F*cking morons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's a sad day for common sense.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I choked on a crisp once, it nearly killed me so I find all crisps offensive. When are walkers going to respect this and close their doors?????????? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I reckon we should find a perfectly fine ad and make up some stupid reason to have it pulled and see if we can do it. I reckon it would be quite easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

I reckon we should find a perfectly fine ad and make up some stupid reason to have it pulled and see if we can do it. I reckon it would be quite easy.

Lets claim that the "Thats why mums go to Iceland" slogan is sexist.

Hopefully some company who has complaints like this made about thier ad will refuse to change it and tell everyone to cop on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The O2 ad. Let's target it. Lemme see -

I find the "we are one" idea offensive as it fails to respect different ethnicities. Instead it tries to amalgamate us all as the same individual, without due deference to our own religions, ethos, race, sexual orientation, gender, et cetera. This is against many cultural beliefs.

Wonder if that'd do it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Those would work. Are all the people in the ad white? That would help as it would look quite racist. Also any ad that uses the word "pure" (most likely for bottled water) that only has white people contains underlying racism as it looks like they think white people are the pure race.

See this is easy. We could probably get rid of all ads by next weekend if we set our minds to it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement