Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scouting For Girls

Options
  • 30-03-2008 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Anyone actually like these? I'd been hearing a lot about them in papers, on the radio etc but hadn't heard them properly until the other night on one of those live performances on channel 4, and I have to say I was mouth-open in shock at how bad they are! How did this band ever make it/get signed etc?? My God!!

No timing, sh!te songs, and their overall sound is cr@p. Made me angry watching them :mad:

p.s. Lightspeed Champion was also performing on same show and he was CLASS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Couldn't agree with you more mate, I can't get my head around why they are so popular.

They are just churning out more bland, lazy guitar pop for easily excitable 15 year old girls, as if there aren't enough bands doing it already (The Hoosiers, The Coronas, I could go on and on). And plus the lead singer looks like one of those smarmy b*stards you wouldn't mind working over with a nail-studded baseball bat :mad:

Sorry rant over. On a more positive note, I'm really liking the few Lightspeed Champion tracks that I've heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There seems to be a real resurrection of middle-of-the-road 70s pop inspired by the likes of ELO and Supertramp - e.g. Scouting For Girls, The Hoosiers, The Feeling and a plethora of American acts.
    When The Feeling first arrived, there were all these "trendy" journalists falling over themselves to worship them for how "unpretentious" and "uncool therefore cool" these guys were. But you know yourself, that stuff's become commonplace now: look at Urban Outfitters with its tacky retro stuff you'd find in your nana's house, and a certain café on Dublin's Dame Street which has really shabby decor and a statue of the virgin Mary etc - oh how frightfully postmodern, charmingly kitsch, evocative of that delightful working-class culture etc! And of course the "love" people claim to have for Dolly Parton - irony, how clever!

And yet this intrigue with all things unpretentious is actually rather... um... pretentious. Because we all know it's... sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

It defies belief really! His face is quite punchable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I see we've finally turned against people who can write catchy pop choruses, reckon we should shoot him for the terrible Elvis puns in his Elvis ain't dead song, surely the worst things to happen to music since Brian Wilson dropped too much acid and checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

God I hate this band.
    Does anyone else find it difficult to tell thier songs apart

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

A-holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

They really are terrible. I heard the elvis song and thought they were probably a 'busted'/'blink 182' outfit- they're actually worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭ChipLdr

I'm gonna get slated for this but I actually love this band. Went to see them in Whelans with a few of the lads not expecting anything,but I was proved wrong.

I always judge a band on how good they are live because anybody can sound amazing given the right studio equipment/producers blah blah blah but put them on a stage and they either blossom or wilt. These guys were really up for it and got the crowd totally rocking.

I agree they're not everybodys taste and i'll admit i wasnt too keen on them at first until I heard their album. Their songs are simple,fun and quirky and are not meant to be viewed as anything different.

Just my two cents of course

Advertisement