Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel mix is too rich

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Do many garages have rolling roads?
    No, very few. i was not suggesting you should put your car on one.

I know that one in my town has one and there a big ford dealer. There rolling road is for the test for commercial vehicles....Can't remember what that test is called.

So you think the emmisions test will give a good indication of problems when moving without load? What other problems apart from rich fuel mix can you find with this test?
    Basically, as I said, the standard emissions test will not find any problems that only occur under load etc. If you have a fault, like an O2 sensor for example, the sensor would likely effect emissions at idle as well as under load. There is a lot can be learned from exhaust gasses if you know what the levels of the gasses indicates.

How much does this equipment usually cost? Loads :)
    I have a car automotive sales brochure at home with loads of servicing equipment including computers etc. for decent prices....didn't see an emmisions testers though.

Thanks for all info. I'm really learning alot here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Do many garages have rolling roads? I know that one in my town has one and there a big ford dealer. There rolling road is for the test for commercial vehicles....Can't remember what that test is called.

So you think the emmisions test will give a good indication of problems when moving without load? What other problems apart from rich fuel mix can you find with this test?

How much does this equipment usually cost?
    I have a car automotive sales brochure at home with loads of servicing equipment including computers etc. for decent prices....didn't see an emmisions testers though.

Thanks for all info. I'm really learning alot here.

For a first time poster who says that cars are'nt rocket science and then continues to rabbit on about plug colours and rolling roads , you really are showing a lot of ignorance / arrogance towards a subject that you seem to know little or nothing about. Do yourself a favor and listen to what some of the posters are suggesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

groupb wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and listen to what some of the posters are suggesting.

Maybe if you actually read the thread you might suddenly realise that I am listening.

For a first time poster who says that cars are'nt rocket science and then continues to rabbit on about plug colours and rolling roads

The spark plug conversation ended a longtime ago sleepy. Wake up! ;)

Garages with rolling roads.....hmmm so if I'm not sure if alot of garages have rolling roads then that immediately disqualifes me from knowing or being able to learn anything about car engines does it?

you really are showing a lot of ignorance / arrogance towards a subject that you seem to know little or nothing about
    Do yourself and favour man and follow your own advice above :rolleyes: ....

Oh and I seem to recall that I have many more posts than you on this forum so how did you come to the conclusion that I'm a first time poster??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ah come on lads, don't be doing that "you're more of a newbie than me" thing! Pot, kettle, spark plug...:D

I work from the basic position of "if it ain't broke, .....".

Does the car actually have a problem, or did you just buy the Haynes recently? I would try the old '60mph in 3rd gear for 5 miles on the motorway' trick first!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

sounds like a case of haynes hypochondriac syndrome :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

esel wrote: »
    Ah come on lads, don't be doing that "you're more of a newbie than me" thing! Pot, kettle, spark plug...:D

I work from the basic position of "if it ain't broke, .....".

Does the car actually have a problem, or did you just buy the Haynes recently? I would try the old '60mph in 3rd gear for 5 miles on the motorway' trick first!

Have the haynes a long while. It's not broken per say no (as in the engine runs) but it's probably pumping more juice into the cylinders than required which is a waste. (assuming the fuel mix is rich)

Also the excess juice does not get burned so it goes into the catalytic converter and damages it. A cat is expensive.

Wossack wrote: »
    sounds like a case of haynes hypochondriac syndrome :)

Abit OTT do you not think?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have also read though not verified by a "trustworthy" source that the 02 sensor needs to be changed either every 60k or 100k!
    I have never heard of an )2 sensor being routinely replaced!
    I think ppl may be having a go at me because I came across in my first post as a complete newbie diagnosing such a large problem....but I ain't stupid and work in a technical field 5 days a week and am well able to understand mechanics and car systems.

At least I'm willing to go out and try to learn....guys are you all elitist mechanics that hate the thought of a "non-mechanic" being able to fix such a problem.
    I admire your intentions to learn more. I did however try and persuade you to get the car professionally diagnosed before you went out spending further money on it and you didn't seem to want to hear that.
    Have the haynes a long while. It's not broken per say no (as in the engine runs) but it's probably pumping more juice into the cylinders than required which is a waste. (assuming the fuel mix is rich)
    As Mr. Diagnostic said, you can't be sure of that. You are going back to the plugs issue again. You would need an emissions test to verify this.
    Anyhow, if there is an issue with the fuel mixture then a diagnosis is required to find out the cause.

Advertisement